JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm new to hunting and I'm starting late at age 31. I would like to know if there is any clubs or groups available to help teach or tag along with. I'm located in North Seattle and did go through the WA Hunter Ed this last year to get my Hunting License, I was the oldest in my class, but I was the only one to score a perfect test.

I went modern deer hunting with a friend from work and his father down near Kelso this last year but it was like shopping at Costco too many people in the area we were at, and none of us got a shot off. I was hoping one of us would get one so I could experience cleaning and prepping a deer. Some one told me to check out the Kenmore gun range. Anyone have any suggestions would be wonderful.

Thanks

I'm interested in this too. Always have thought about giving deer hunting a try, but nobody else I know does it. I used to hunt grouse - and by "hunt", I mean dragging my shotgun around in the woods without seeing anything. :s0114:

I'm still trying to figure out how to legally get into Northwest Trek and do some real nice Trophy Elk hunting??!?!?!?:s0155: If anyone has LEGAL ways to get this done... please let me know!!!!!!:D

Usually, I don't tell the secrets....

I hate seeing people while hunting too, so I walk the logging roads that are closed to motorized vehicles (signs with red dots on them).

I see way less people 2-3 instead of 75!

Get out and scout, Get out and scout, Get out and scout!

*If you get a deer, elk, or bear don't be tempted to use a quad or other "motorized vehicle" to carry out the animal...it's my experience you'll likely get cited for trespassing.:D

*If you get a deer, elk, or bear don't be tempted to use a quad or other "motorized vehicle" to carry out the animal...it's my experience you'll likely get cited for trespassing.:D

Yeah, I guess this is where one of those wheeled game carrier type things would come in handy. Dead aminals is HEA-VEE!! :s0001:

Join the North Mmerican Hunting Club, you can google it. I think you can get a 1 month trial for free too. The club website has a washignton state members forum and it is very active with lots of people. Every year there is a "get togethor" camping trip. All real great people.

If you are looking to getting into hunting in WA there is a ton of useful information at hunting-washington.com.

I agree with above. It is a great site.

Just a couple of quick tips though. Introduce yourself and tell everyone on there about you, your hunting experiences,etc..... Just do not make your first post about where to hunt, etc... guys typically will be more helpful if they know you are there to be a part of the community, not just getting info and bolting.

There are hunting groups and some of those groups use member fees to lease private lands. You might find one of these, but they can be a bit pricey.

Finding hunting partners is mostly about networking and doing what you're doing now. I belong to another forum and I've met several members and have become friends and partners with several. Take it from me, good partners are hard to come by because everyone is trying to be successful and there are many variables that can make people compatible or oil and vinegar. Having a partner with similar views on hunting, physical abilities, concepts of team work or need for independence, etc.

If you're looking for hunting areas, try to figure out how far you're willing to travel for your season. Then, you might check the harvest reports in the areas that are practical for you. I look for units with good success rates, not numbers. I want to see a trend of high percentage of success. When I have some ideas of where I might want to go, I get a hold of maps to find access points and I pre-designate places that look like they might hold game (drainages, likely travel routes between drainages, etc). I then scout the areas and look for sign. If its easy to get to, you'll probably have company. If you have to work and hike in a ways, you'll eliminate a lot of competition. Be careful to know what units you are in and what the local rules and regulations are. Be safe!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews