JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hermannr:
Not quite certain, but does this artwork depict a mule deer buck in a face-off with a whitetail?

I haven't glanced at this thread for a while...my bad (since I started it :rolleyes:) ... but some interesting observations.

The buck on the foreground left has a muley rack, but a whitetail, tail. The buck on the right has a whitetail rack can't see the tail clearly, but it also apears to be a whitetail, tail.

The discussion was: do mule deer and whitetails interbreed? I have not personally seen this particular pair of bucks, but we have whitetail does in our yard all the time that have black tails, very large ears and small metatarsal glands.

I guess our property is too lush for the does to let the bucks around (I irrigate), but I rarely see the bucks, the ones I have seen are whitetail. (this is over the last 8 years, the house is at approximately 3000' + a bit to the north end)

If you go about a 1/2 mile south and east of our property there is a little aspen filled draw (low pass?) and on the other side is a south facing slope that is sage, grass, and pine. This side is open Pine, Fir and Western Larch forest with mostly grass understory. This side of that draw is almost exclusively whitetail, on the other side almost exclusively Muleys.

The buck on the foreground left has a muley rack, but a whitetail, tail. The buck on the right has a whitetail rack can't see the tail.

The discussion was: do mule deer and whitetails interbreed? I have not personally seen this particular pair of bucks, but we have whitetail does in our yard all the time that have black tails, very large ears and small metatarsal glands.

I guess our property is too lush for the does to let the bucks around (I irrigate), but I rarely see the bucks, the ones I have seen are whitetail. (this is over the last 8 years, the house is at approximately 3000' + a bit to the north end)

If you go about a 1/2 mile south and east of our property there is a little aspen filled draw (low pass?) and on the other side is a south facing slope that is sage, grass, and pine. This side is open Pine, Fir and Western Larch forest with mostly grass understory. This side of that draw is almost exclusively whitetail, on the other side almost exclusively Muleys.

Ahhhh, I read back and caught that after I posted.

Interesting. Whitetail does will not accept a muley buck. Muley does will accept whitetail bucks?

Just proves what I've always thought about muley does. They're trollops. And the poor children. Their sons are probably playboys and the daughters...oh, I simply cannot bring myself to think of their degradation. Probably end up in Hollywood playing deer named "Bambi"

;) :s0112:

Hunters lack confidence in WA wildlife agency

If the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife went looking for support from hunters today, they’d have a hard time finding much brotherhood on the Hunting Washington forum, where an informal poll shows more than 87 percent of the respondents have no confidence in the agency leadership or the Fish & Wildlife Commission.

<broken link removed>

Not only hunters. I used to fish and crab, but I am done.. too many regulations. The rules are different for every area and in addition to their annual booklet, they can make changes on the fly and require you to verify that what is supposed to be open still is on the day you are heading out. I use to get the full fresh/salt water and shellfish license. I guess they will have to do without my yearly donation.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top