JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
About a week ago I wrote a post about having a juvenile felony that's was sealed/vacated and my gun rights restored. I was cleared for a rifle in wa already, but wanted to know if i would be cleared in other states. Well, yesterday i went to the cabela's in post falls id and bought a rifle. I checked "no" on the paperwork and i was cleared that day! Was I only approved because my rights were restored in wa and i was buying it as a Washington resident, or would i have been cleared even if i become a resident of another state? As far as I can tell, I think now I should be cleared nationwide.

I don't know what arrangement ID has with WA if any, but my guess is that there may not be any arrangement for cross checking?

I don't think there is between OR and WA.

I think most, if not all, probably check at least with NICS (I think this is required as a minimum?) and maybe their own system - if any. Maybe WA has their own system thru which you are now clear and if you were denied previously thru NICS you are now good to go everywhere it is legal to buy - which unfortunately is probably not every state, at least not for every kind of rifle.

I don't know what arrangement ID has with WA if any, but my guess is that there may not be any arrangement for cross checking?

I don't think there is between OR and WA.

I think most, if not all, probably check at least with NICS (I think this is required as a minimum?) and maybe their own system - if any. Maybe WA has their own system thru which you are now clear and if you were denied previously thru NICS you are now good to go everywhere it is legal to buy - which unfortunately is probably not every state, at least not for every kind of rifle.
Ok, so now I've been cleared in both Washington and Idaho, the ffl paperwork you fill out is the same form for every state. So what I was asking is, is it safe to assume that I will be good to go throughout the country, such as if I become a resident of another sate. That is wre I think i'm at now, since wa took away the right, if they restore it then that would move the legal disability even in other states?

Nope, Some states do not recognize all types of restorations of rights and when the FBI interprets the law it is supposed to take into consideration the law of the state where you are attempting to purchase.

Mine was backward from yours, I had my rights reinstated in Idaho and the FBI decided my Idaho restoration did not meet the criteria to buy a firearm in Washingon state. The crazy thing is the state of Washington did not agree (they issued me a CPL and since I had no prohibiting factors in Washinton state that would not even issue a finding or opinion on my eligibility )

My rights were restored via a Pardon from the Governor of Idaho. A pardon is about as good as it gets when it comes to rights being restored but why you are pardoned matters in Washington and the FBI decided I did not meet the criteria. I eventually got everything overturned in Washinton but after moving back to Idaho the entire thing is moot.

I still will get denied from time to time on a simple NICI check. Fortunately, I no longer have to do them as I have an Idaho CCW. I have never had an issue applying for a carry card or NFA item. A more in-depth look should always turn up my pardon paperwork, It's just the quickie NICI that they are unlikely to bother looking

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top