JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Are Washington candidates too busy, or do they just not care?

Washington State’s two leading gubernatorial candidates have essentially indicated they don’t have enough time or even interest to address sportsmen’s issues by failing to respond to a questionnaire regarding hunting and sportsmen’s' issues.

<broken link removed>

If hunting was my main concern, then why do I carry a pistol everywhere I go? It's not for the 12 point buck that crosses my path at walmart.

Your concerns are yours. Tens of thousands of Washington hunters have been waiting for 25 years to get a governor who listened to their concerns; someone who at least tried to understand that there's more to it than drinking beer, shooting road signs and camping with loaded guns.

They've watched the greenies guide game management in this state, treating them like lepers and a necessary evil because hunters pay the freight. They're essentially a cash cow for wolf advocates and dickie bird lovers.

Management has been deliberately structured to pit user groups against one another. Seasons are designed to reduce harvest and lower opportunity.

It is darned important to those outdoorsmen and women, and they do vote. They dislike being taken for granted.

But since you mention it, why DO you carry a pistol everywhere you go?

BTW: Out here in the Northwest, we don't count antler points that way.

It would have been nice if they had answered. Honestly *I* couldn't give a coherent answer to some of those questions without a lot of research simply because I'm not a hunter and don't know much about the specific issues. Staff time being limited, McKenna's camp may simply have had to triage this questionnaire.

We have two choices in November. One may be lukewarm on gun rights and hunting but the other never met a gun control plan he didn't like.

If Washington gun owners have the slightest care about their rights, they'll work hard to get McKenna elected. Inslee would sign a state AWB and one-gun-a-month bill without a second of hesitation. He's learned nothing from his trouncing in 1994.

As a reporter at the time, I talked to Jay about the AWB during the 1994 election (voters here were mad as Hell) and he wouldn't even give a straight answer.

He repeatedly stated: "This law won't take anyone's hunting rifle away." That was his line and that's all he would say on the subject despite repeated attempts to get a more detailed answer.

He's made repeated statement since that tell me he's perfectly happy to reduce our rights by legislative fiat.

Props to you Dave for the questionnaire, and I wish they would have answered. But seriously, there isn't much of a choice in November.

As a reporter at the time, I talked to Jay about the AWB during the 1994 election (voters here were mad as Hell) and he wouldn't even give a straight answer.

He repeatedly stated: "This law won't take anyone's hunting rifle away." That was his line and that's all he would say on the subject despite repeated attempts to get a more detailed answer.

He's made repeated statement since that tell me he's perfectly happy to reduce our rights by legislative fiat.

Props to you Dave for the questionnaire, and I wish they would have answered. But seriously, there isn't much of a choice in November.

You were a reporter at the time? Where?
I was banging away at Fishing & Hunting News and managing editor of Hunter Education Instructor. That was also when I was on the NRA board, and Inslee's guy called me up asking advice on the AWB. I told him straight up...if Jay votes for this, he's toast, or something to that effect.

Inslee had voted the right way on the Brady law the previous year, after I told his guy that it was a bonehead move to support that kind of bill in his district. He listened the first time, but not the second. And it cost him the election.

When you advise someone not to do something and they do it anyway... Guess whose fault it is when they get spanked? ("Hey kid, don't touch the hot stove!")

We warned Seattle not to try banning guns in parks. They didn't listen, did it anyway and they got nutted in court. Whose fault was that?

I fully understand that it would be difficult for someone to answer all of the questions. But to not even try tells me a couple of things

They don't have anyone on staff who is a hunter and who might be able to try answering
They don't have anyone on staff who tries to understand the hunting issues...which will sway a lot of voters this year

Someone running for election in a western state who doesn't have a single hunter on staff tells me everything I need to know about who this guy surrounds himself with.

As I wrote, McKenna is the guy who warned Seattle about the gun thing. Told 'em it was illegal.
Inslee is the guy with an "F" rating from NRA and GOA.

PRETTY MUCH SAYS IT ALL, EH?

Back to the OP's original question: They're just being safe. Anti-gun legislation isn't going anywhere, and all the politicos know it. But there are the anti's out there too, and you don't want to piss them off. So the smart play is just not to bring the issue up. That works to our benefit. I like the (limited) gun laws that we have and don't want to rock the boat.

You were a reporter at the time? Where?
I was banging away at Fishing & Hunting News and managing editor of Hunter Education Instructor. That was also when I was on the NRA board, and Inslee's guy called me up asking advice on the AWB. I told him straight up...if Jay votes for this, he's toast, or something to that effect.

Inslee had voted the right way on the Brady law the previous year, after I told his guy that it was a bonehead move to support that kind of bill in his district. He listened the first time, but not the second. And it cost him the election.

That Inslee voted for the AWB showed how completely out of touch he was with the voters of this district.

I was surprised that he never even attempted to justify his vote by pointing out the other parts of the bill the AWB was part of that were very popular, as many other politicians attempted to do with varying levels of success. He just couldn't see how anyone could have a real issue with the AWB part of the bill. -And he got creamed in what otherwise would have been a close election.

That he's STILL firmly on the anti-gun side of the argument and a popular multi-term congressman (now from another district) is illustrative of how wide the gap has become between Seattle area and the rest of the state. Inslee couldn't get elected dog-catcher anywhere in this neck of the woods.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top