JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I hate to say it, but...

"Natural Selection."

Once Sodom and Gomorrah are washed into the Sound, it should be a lot easier for the rest of us to set things right without those two boat-anchors of parasitism obstructing us.

Read the Cascadia Rising draft after action report. I think one particular bullet point sums it up.

"The state's current mindset and approach to disaster response is not suitable to a catastrophic scale incident."

Read the Cascadia Rising draft after action report. I think one particular bullet point sums it up.

"The state's current mindset and approach to disaster response is not suitable to a catastrophic scale incident."
And will continue to be so as long as Seattle and Olympia keep insisting that the only way to do things is more of what they've always done extorting ever more from the rest of the state.

Sooooo,which of y'all has a crystal ball to tell them when this will happen?
Now Cally know it will happen sooner than later. Washington,on the other hand,hasn't had a good quake since I was in grade school.(think 50+ years). I don't know how much damage Seattle or Olympia got back then. Or who in wa government lived here back then.
But they could spend millions and y'all would be crying about how much they spent for a quake that may come in the next millinium. How are they supposed to decide on a budget for something they know little about? Or if and when it may happen?
Or never happen
Just sayin;)

I'm one of those guys who would rather invest massively in preparation and say "thank God it didn't come this time--let's keep ready in case it does tomorrow."

My point was they're big on demanding ever more money, not so much on actually doing anything useful with it--they'd rather keep giing ever bigger handouts to the Human Refuse that keep them in office.

Going by Wikipedia the last mega quake was in 1700, so almost 317 years ago. The longest time between quakes is believed to be 910 years, and the shortest 210. I don't know much about earthquakes but I'll been looking at the following site and not much activity on the Cascadia Subduction Zone. A bit down by california though.

Latest Earthquakes

We live in SW OR USA about 40 miles from the Pacific. A little bit further West is that big fault. Sooner or later it will cut loose. But ... what are the odds of it happening NOW? Yearly? Over 10 years? 20?

It is all about risk mitigation. What are the odds each year? In my view it will happen, but WHEN? Our big LOCAL concern is the annual big Wildfire Potential. Much worsererer odds? Dunno. Impossible to say.

We here in SW OR have had three, (3) close call wild fires since about 2000. Once we were on a HARD 15 minute evac recommendation. For us it is wild fires and NOT earthquakes we need to focus upon.

Spending lots of hard earned tax dollars on an event that statistically is UNLIKELY to happen is not good planning. This is the reality. But ... having said that, SOME infrastructure MAY be a good idea. A little.

But only if such planning and preparing lets us build upon the prior years activities. Just holding drills may help. But what is needed is hard procedures and preparations. Hard durable preps. Very expensive!

Asking big building owners to retro fit their high rises for earthquake potential MAY, (may) not be a valid function of organized government. A very poor expense vs savings situation. But individually? ...

Yeah. Anybody who is a principle or even the little guy SHOULD be thinking hard about the potential of the Big Mega Thrust Earthquake. Probably not in my lifetime. But maybe it will happen soon? More Yikes.

We need to systematically replace nearly all of the I-5 bridges with structures that will withstand a mega-quake.

With the ports destroyed, the bridges down, and no feasible way to get a fraction of the required food, water and supplies to the massive populations in the big cities via aircraft (once the runways are repaired) we need to keep the roads open somehow.

For the cost of an aircraft carrier we could save potentially tens if not hundreds of thousands of lives when this eventually happens.

In the meantime, i'm preaching to the choir here, but do what you can to be self reliant and make it a part of your culture so that your kids automatically do the same. We're way overdue and i can't find the link but at least one scientist is giving it a 50/50 chance of it happening in the next 50 years.

Last Edited:
Excellent reply and thank you. Lots of things our various Governments do correct. Also lots of things government does that in my feeble opinion is not correct.

Some of what our various Governments do seems to me to be on the edge of ensuring re election of various government officials. Lots of functions and preps are best left to us.

Us being the individual citizen. Yep ... we are preaching to the choir and we all know the tunes. Our jobs is to pass forward the INDIVIDUAL understanding that shiet happens.

We need to systematically replace nearly all of the I-5 bridges with structures that will withstand a mega-quake.

With the ports destroyed, the bridges down, and no feasible way to get a fraction of the required food, water and supplies to the massive populations in the big cities via aircraft (once the runways are repaired) we need to keep the roads open somehow.
Excellent point... this country couldn't do another Berlin Airlift if we HAD to, and the Cascadia version would make even the Truman-era version look like a cakewalk.

At the very least we should be working on hardening the criticals piece-by-piece, starting with the most critical and most endangered. (The Capitol and its office complexes can go straight to the bottom of this list.)

I'm a little confused!
I read the entire Seattle Times article, and ok, the supply stocking recommendation has gone from three days to two weeks! But, nowhere in the article was there a recommendation for how much ammo to stockpile!
So, like, how much? :cool:

Having seen Japan after the "BIG ONE" I can tell you even the best of preps will not save much, and this is a country very much familiar with these events! For Orygun and Washington, State's Emergency planning isn't going to be able to do very much in areas effected if close to a big population center like Portland or Seattle, so for those of you in those areas, Your on your own! What needs attention desperately are the Bridges and rail lines, take these out and you are royally screwed for getting any sort of concerted effort moving to Aid those areas hardest hit, not to mention the flow of goods and services by road would be severely restricted! Even a small bridge could be rendered impassable, or restricted to just a few ton's weight, if even one in a vital artery gets knocked down, Game Over for tens of thousands! Short Story, You really need to prep for you and yours at home, and have a GHB/BOB WITH YOU, so you can manage things on your own, because Aid may be a long time coming!

Here we were frankly told by the former Josephine County Emergency Services Directer that we would be on our own for about 6 months. In his educated experienced opinion South West Oregon would be last on the list. Last for many reasons including our general lack of political power and our possible total lack of "proper" political correctness.

A potentially nasty situation. No food. Good water obtainable but one has to work at it. Too many idiots with deer rifles. Too many non prepared good folks who turn into desperadoes. Lots of individuals have lived through the panic of wild fires. Some prep plans include having several deep bolt holes to just up and disappear into for months.

LOL, isn't that everybody's question?
Not mine
How much ammo depends on how much money and room for it you have.
Kinda like how many guns to finish a collection......
Just one more;)
Just one more case:D
Kinda like uri kid was saying,TPTB would probably put the stores in a 150yo brick building anyway.
Over the underground city,lol

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top