JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The only thing I use my phone for while I'm on the road is GPS if I don't know how to get where I'm going. I'm pretty okay with this as long as there's that stipulation that minimal interaction for GPS is ok. Unlike the one that was recently brought up here in Oregon that's written to where ANY interaction with your phone is against the law. Sure sucks for us peasants that can't afford / don't want expensive built-in gps units in our vehicles, and I probably don't need to mention how awful mapquest and the like were to use...

Soooo police officers will no longer be allowed to use the computers in their cars unless they're parked? And they have to follow the same rules in regards to their phones?? And if the answer is "that this law doesn't apply to police," what magic do police officers possess that enables them to operate these items safely and effectively, that the rest of us mere mortals don't possess??

I use a bluetooth headset if I know I am going to receive a call. If I don't have a headset in, then will let the phone and go to voicemail.

I also use a headset when in the car because I get calls a lot for work.
Since having kids I've tried to be more responsible.

I was with a police officer on a ride along when he was texting, and driving, started to run a red light so he flicked his lights on and finished running it

I have no problem with seeing idiots who yap or text on their cell phones while driving lose their license for one year if convicted of doing it. I might even go five years.

In past few years I have been nearly T Boned, sideswiped, and just recently was nearly killed avoiding a head on by some idiot driving on wrong side of the highway just east of Aberdeen. Every one of them was either yapping away with the cell phone welded to their ear, or texting away. Hammer them like we do with the drunks and druggies who get busted. Make them go to classes, make them pay a big fine and spend thousands on lawyers fees.

Soooo police officers will no longer be allowed to use the computers in their cars unless they're parked? And they have to follow the same rules in regards to their phones?? And if the answer is "that this law doesn't apply to police," what magic do police officers possess that enables them to operate these items safely and effectively, that the rest of us mere mortals don't possess??

I don't understand it either. A red cape and bright red boots do not come with the badge. I give cops a lot of leeway lately, but in this instance the cops absolutely should follow the law like the rest of us do - or hopefully most of us do.

GOOD! I can't drive anywhere without seeing people one their phones, many times texting. I have to pay attention to my driving so I can imagine how many people do this that I DON'T see. I don't put a lot of miles in in my daily driving but it seems a day doesn't go by that I don't see someone failing to signal, or crawling along at 22mph in a 30 zone, or some other dumb driving move and then see a phone up to their ear or looking down, or in their lap and texting. I'd noticed years ago when a person on the phone had obviously just started their car(steam coming from the exhaust), like they get in their car and get on the phone?! Asked my self, why couldn't they make the call before they got behind the wheel. Now the lack of concern for driving and safety is to the point of insane!

I'm all for it. I'm so tired of people speeding up, slowing down, crossing the fog line, sitting at the light after it changes, etc. All these people think they are "excellent at multitasking" but really they are a danger on the road (and simply annoying to boot). You know, 20 years ago (okay, maybe 30 years....) a person used to be able to take a 20 or 30 minute trip to the store or where ever without talking to 3 friends/family/etc. on the way. I guess I'm just a grumpy old man, since I usually groan when the phone (yep, land line) rings, and I ignore it half the time....

What I cannot understand is why women I guess some wannabe guys who turned in their mancard can stick a brush right at their eye and it is a secondary violation????? How much more distracted can you be than worrying about poking your eye out with a stick if you hit a bump

I'm all for it. I'm so tired of people speeding up, slowing down, crossing the fog line, sitting at the light after it changes, etc. All these people think they are "excellent at multitasking" but really they are a danger on the road (and simply annoying to boot). You know, 20 years ago (okay, maybe 30 years....) a person used to be able to take a 20 or 30 minute trip to the store or where ever without talking to 3 friends/family/etc. on the way. I guess I'm just a grumpy old man, since I usually groan when the phone (yep, land line) rings, and I ignore it half the time....

Got tired of answering the landline phone and it is a robo call so I turned it into a fax line even though I don't fax. If my cellphone rings and if I don't know the number it goes to voicemail.

I too am all for it. If my phone rings in the car and it's out where I can see it I either let it go to voice mail, or pull over if I think it's important. When I use it for GPS I use the car speakers for it so no one can tell anyway. As for Cops, well it is what it is. You have to remember why laws like this come about. The problem is there is a LOT of people who can just barely manage to drive at all. Add ANY distraction and they become an unguided missile. The problem is it's hard to pass a law that says you can only do this if you're not incompetent. As so many got to where they "have" to be playing on the phone every waking moment they started causing major accidents. People then demand laws to "fix this". Some can multi task fine. Some can't even talk to the passenger without zoning out. I have never forgotten the old lady in front of me at the DMV one day. so deaf her daughter had to scream every question into her ear. Then she couldn't pass the eye test. So the agent gave her a daylight only hours license. I thought great. She can only wipe out people during the day. Like school kids. Can you imagine her on her cell phone?
This is also another reason to have a dash cam. If someone does plow into you it's on tape. If some Cop in playing with his computer and hits you it's on tape. It's not "he said she said".

The problem is there is a LOT of people who can just barely manage to drive at all.

This is an excellent point.

The problem is it's hard to pass a law that says you can only do this if you're not incompetent.

Therefore, we have all the 'nanny state' laws that make us all conform to the lowest common denominator, or the stupidest person on the block.

This is an excellent point.

Therefore, we have all the 'nanny state' laws that make us all conform to the lowest common denominator, or the stupidest person on the block.

Yes and often it really pisses me off. This one I can live with. Others get me a lot more. Like gambling. The excuse that we can't allow it since a few can't handle it. To me that's not my problem. Of course often the real solution is make the screw ups pay dearly. That's not popular though. The thing with the Drones and license is all about that. A few morons will be morons so they want to try to pass laws. Just throw the book at a few morons and they would learn.

Maybe if the penalty were more like "cellphone confiscated, then returned as suppository on the spot" that might have a deterrent effect... and you're paying for your own proctology work to get it out.

The first few pukes get their phones taken away then shoved up their arses, and others might learn from the example.

What I cannot understand is why women I guess some wannabe guys who turned in their mancard can stick a brush right at their eye and it is a secondary violation????? How much more distracted can you be than worrying about poking your eye out with a stick if you hit a bump

Hell, I saw someone tucking into a bowl of cereal while cruising down the highway the other day, holding the bowl and wheel steady with one hand, spoon in the other. :eek:

Some people...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads