JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Effective December 5, 2014

Initiative 594 – "Background Checks for Gun Sales and Transfers"

The Department of Licensing's (DOL) Firearms Program is only the record keeping authority, as noted in RCW 9.41 which is the Law Relating to Firearms and Dangerous Weapons. DOL is responsible for maintaining many of the state's firearms records, including firearm dealer licenses, alien firearm licenses, concealed pistol licenses, ineligible to possess a firearm, and pistol transfers and sales.

This program's role in the implementation of Initiative 594 is limited to record keeping requirements. DOL cannot provide legal advice or help the public or licensed firearm dealers interpret the firearms statutes found in RCW 9.41 or I-594.

DOL will provide guidance to the public and licensed firearms dealers regarding forms and information required on forms for pistol sales and transfers. In addition, DOL will provide guidance on the process to notify DOL if a person intends to retain possession of a pistol resulting from the death of the prior owner.

Local Law Enforcement Agencies (LEAs) are responsible for enforcing the firearms laws. They are the authorizing agencies for all firearms licenses including the firearm licenses application process, background checks and approval or denial of licenses.

Please contact your local law enforcement agency if you have questions about firearms licensure requirements, clarification of definitions, violations of the law or need additional information regarding exemptions.

If you are a business owner with questions about the implementation I-594, we recommend you seek private legal advice for your business questions. The Firearms Program staff cannot provide legal advice or interpretation of I-594.

For questions regarding federal firearms licenses or firearms transfers and sales in other states contact the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATF) at www.atf.gov.

To report possession or ownership of a pistol acquired upon the death of the prior owner after December 4, 2014, contact the Firearms Program at 360.664.6616 or email at [email protected].

Again, the Firearms Program staff cannot provide legal advice or help the public or licensed firearm dealers interpret the firearms statutes found in RCW 9.41 or I-594

My FFL friend up here said he has had no one request any sort of friend to friend transfers so far.
Our Sheriff is newly elected, and told my FFL friend he's not sure how to handle it, but that one thing he was sure of, he was not going to enforce any sort of law on flare guns, nail set guns, mole traps etc.

Maybe your Sheriff should consider upholding his oath, and recognize that I-594 is an infringement on our constitutional rights.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top