JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Too bad its prime dirt bike season right now.... The Jones Creek ORV Trailhead was AWESOME last weekend!

:D ;)
Prime hunting season too! Might be a bit wet on Saturday for dirt bikes! Might be too wet for shooters to! It's too wet for a cleanup, but I'm joining the NWFA crew over in Welches, OR to help clean up the Miller's Quarry on Saturday. I'll visit a WA forest some other time.

I will probably head out into one of my favorite shooting areas, which is up the Skokomish Valley Road and into the Olympic National Forest out there. (Turns from the civilian road into FS23 after a few miles) Plenty of spots, plenty of side roads, and many safe camping/shooting spots. I have a favorite that's hard to find, maybe twenty miles off the Highway 101. Perfect camping spot, with a perfect backstop. Can't see the backstop in this picture, because it is behind me. That's the day shelter you see there, although for fall I rig it with a couple of extra side tarps to keep out the wind at night. I have a big Coleman Montana tent for sleeping. That would be off to the right. My avatar picture came from this camping site. When I went there the last time, I dug up the fire pit and made a real fireplace, sort of like the one in the last picture below. That type of fireplace guarantees all the smoke goes UP and all the heat comes out the front. In some places I camp, to cut down on the work, I will just put up the day shelter and rig a bed in the back of the truck using a futon mattress. You can open the slider windows on the truck for air and they have new screens. Don't laugh TOO hard...but I also take a TV/DVD player and a stereo. Have to have something to do when it gets too dark to shoot. :)

Escape.jpg

MainSite.jpg

CampfireDark.jpg

Last Edited:
I just have to find a place to push my 300 win mag out to 200 to 300 yards. This pit does not have this but at least I will be able to sight in this rifle that has been waiting patiently for two years for it first slug. :( And I am taking it hunting this year, first hunt in WA. :)

I just have to find a place to push my 300 win mag out to 200 to 300 yards. This pit does not have this but at least I will be able to sight in this rifle that has been waiting patiently for two years for it first slug. :( And I am taking it hunting this year, first hunt in WA. :)

if it wouldn't be too much trouble could you post an update on triangle? Just wanted to see how bad it may be, I was planning to go up this weekend.

if it wouldn't be too much trouble could you post an update on triangle? Just wanted to see how bad it may be, I was planning to go up this weekend.
I have no recent info on the condition of Triangle Pit. The last I saw of it was Aug 15, the day they closed shooting, and the trash volume wasn't too bad. I'm sure there's more there now because some people have been ignoring the ban.

I have no recent info on the condition of Triangle Pit. The last I saw of it was Aug 15, the day they closed shooting, and the trash volume wasn't too bad. I'm sure there's more there now because some people have been ignoring the ban.

I usually bring a couple trash bags with me to haul away as there always seems to be trash scattered about that pit :mad:. I'll bring a couple extra if I head up that way, never seen the pit after a closure.

I had seen that @trevi said he would be headed up there I was hoping to get an update from him regarding pit conditions. Mainly if there was crowding or any washout or how bad the shooters area might be.

I will post an update. I am all for Trash No Land and will bring some trash bags.

Sipping my coffee at this moment and making a mental note of what other guns to shoot.

Stay tuned......but several hours. :p

Sounds good! Glad to hear it's not so bad. Are those trash bags still there, back behind the firing line? There were several that were spread out and I thought it was a good idea.

That is a really good place to shoot. A drawback is the jackwagons who go crazy, don't share and don't know the basic firearms safety rules. But, that can happen anywhere in any forest.

That is a really good place to shoot. A drawback is the jackwagons who go crazy, don't share and don't know the basic firearms safety rules. But, that can happen anywhere in any forest.
Correct. And not just the forest. Indoor ranges are the worst to me. Some people get all "tacticool" when they are not even firing! :rolleyes: One guy with a group just had to keep a loaded pistol in his hand by his thigh and tapping the gun against his thigh. o_O
Sounds good! Glad to hear it's not so bad. Are those trash bags still there, back behind the firing line? There were several that were spread out and I thought it was a good idea.
Yes, And I added two more bags.

Don't know if you noticed, but I had cleaned up the front area, from the parking lot and up the walkway to the pit, on Aug 15th. Wonder if it still looks clean?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top