JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good Morning,

I am not looking for legal advice here, just your thoughts or feedback. Current, in progress divorce, several guns her kids have lusted after (the live in CA) are "...missing..." form the safe. Purchased while living in OR. What responsibility do I have to: (a.) report them as missing?; (b.) report them as other?

Under new an improved WA gun laws this feels like too much gray area to me.

I absolutely would not mess with this. It could be that her kids did not take them (but most likely did) maybe the soon to be x wife? You need to file a report.

I am assuming that a simple conversation of "please bring them back" wont work.

sorry you have to go through this.

Good Morning,

I am not looking for legal advice here, just your thoughts or feedback. Current, in progress divorce, several guns her kids have lusted after (the live in CA) are "...missing..." form the safe. Purchased while living in OR. What responsibility do I have to: (a.) report them as missing?; (b.) report them as other?

Under new an improved WA gun laws this feels like too much gray area to me.

Are you by any chance in Multnomah County? If so, you're under a legal obligation to report them as stolen - and it's supposed to happen within 48 hours or you face a $2,500 fine. This new law passed back in April of 2013. So, if you're in that county, you need to get on it to protect yourself.

Here is a summary of the law that was passed: https://multco.us/file/9312/download

And from OFF: http://www.oregonfirearms.org/multnomah-county-passes-anti-gun-ordinances

I think they are the only county that has this law, but if you're in another county, you may want to check it out yourself, if nothing more than to protect yourself from liability. And then secondly, to let these people know that stealing guns is a very bad thing.

report them stolen asap in case one gets used in a crime
Are they CA legal guns? I would tell the "not soon enough to be ex" that you discovered them missing and in order to protect yourself from any possible criminal liability you have no choice but to report them as stolen if they are not found or don't somehow magically reappear.

I agree with everything others have said here. Larry's idea as "the" last sensible of an immediate return of the firearms. If not returned within an hour, file a report.

No one knows the combination to my safe.

They're missing. He doesn't know (prove) if they're in California. He doesn't know if wife or kids took them. Nothing but missing. Let LE do the detective work.

And to that end, you may want to have some proof ready that they are yours in the first place; receipt, boxes, pictures or something....

Sorry you're going through this crap. Everyday BS is tough enough. Divorce is devastating. Missing firearms on top... well I sincerely do wish the best for you and hope for a speedy, painless as possible restart to your situation.

Report them stolen to the police, and have your attorney prepare a formal demand letter to the spouse for their return, in original condition. Your attorney can deliver the letter as soon as the police report is investigated, and ensure that California authorities are encouraged to follow through at their end.

Theft is theft, and firearms are not the antique clock that was on the fireplace mantle. Two guns is grand larceny, and taking them to another state is a federal felony, one count for each gun. The recipients of these stolen guns are in deep sierra. Trafficking, conspiracy, the list goes on.

report them stolen asap in case one gets used in a crime
Second that, its ridiculous to not report them missing.
As you are speculating they were taken by these kids, if they were not and you don't report them they could be used in a crime and your insurance company wont cover the loss if you wait.

I guess I read into it a little differently. Perhaps they'll "turn up" after the divorce is finalized. If that's the case, there may be other opinions.

If you're a NRA member $2,500 firearm insurance is included in your membership
And if there is no sign of "breaking & entering" in the police report, they won't pay out a nickel. Whatever the firearms were in, be it an automobile, safe, the house, whatever, if there is no sign of forced entry, insurance won't pay a thing. Not NRA insurance, not any insurance. Over twenty years ago, I made the dumb mistake of leaving a couple hunting rifles in the "headache rack" in my pickup while I went into a friends house for a short visit. The truck was locked, and it was broad daylight in a decent neighborhood in Billings, MT. When I came out a half hour later, one of the rifles was missing and the drivers door was ajar. Someone had "slim jimmed" the lock. No money from insurance, and I'm still waiting for the miraculous call from some law enforcement agency that they found the rifle.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top