Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

WA divorce, "...missing..." guns

Discussion in 'Firearm Laws & Legal' started by 7SFCW4, Mar 13, 2016.

1. 7SFCW4

7SFCW4 Out and About, Oregon Active Member

Good Morning,

I am not looking for legal advice here, just your thoughts or feedback. Current, in progress divorce, several guns her kids have lusted after (the live in CA) are "...missing..." form the safe. Purchased while living in OR. What responsibility do I have to: (a.) report them as missing?; (b.) report them as other?

Under new an improved WA gun laws this feels like too much gray area to me.

2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I'd file a police report and let her kids take 10 year prison terms...

41Slinger, orygun, Brutus57 and 16 others like this.
  3. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

report them stolen asap in case one gets used in a crime

Pops1911, orygun, nwwoodsman and 17 others like this.
  4. tlfreek

tlfreek Vancouver WA Active Member

I absolutely would not mess with this. It could be that her kids did not take them (but most likely did) maybe the soon to be x wife? You need to file a report.

I am assuming that a simple conversation of "please bring them back" wont work.

sorry you have to go through this.

wired, decklin, Arleyg and 6 others like this.
  5. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

Yeah, you NEED to file a police report. Like now...

6. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Do it.

coyotecaller and decklin like this.
  7. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Are you by any chance in Multnomah County? If so, you're under a legal obligation to report them as stolen - and it's supposed to happen within 48 hours or you face a $2,500 fine. This new law passed back in April of 2013. So, if you're in that county, you need to get on it to protect yourself.

Here is a summary of the law that was passed: https://multco.us/file/9312/download

And from OFF: http://www.oregonfirearms.org/multnomah-county-passes-anti-gun-ordinances

I think they are the only county that has this law, but if you're in another county, you may want to check it out yourself, if nothing more than to protect yourself from liability. And then secondly, to let these people know that stealing guns is a very bad thing.

ocarolan likes this.
  8. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Are they CA legal guns? I would tell the "not soon enough to be ex" that you discovered them missing and in order to protect yourself from any possible criminal liability you have no choice but to report them as stolen if they are not found or don't somehow magically reappear.

9. 2A2Dend

2A2Dend .. Well-Known Member

I agree with everything others have said here. Larry's idea as "the" last sensible of an immediate return of the firearms. If not returned within an hour, file a report.

No one knows the combination to my safe.

10. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

They're missing. He doesn't know (prove) if they're in California. He doesn't know if wife or kids took them. Nothing but missing. Let LE do the detective work.

And to that end, you may want to have some proof ready that they are yours in the first place; receipt, boxes, pictures or something....

Sorry you're going through this crap. Everyday BS is tough enough. Divorce is devastating. Missing firearms on top... well I sincerely do wish the best for you and hope for a speedy, painless as possible restart to your situation.

AMT and coyotecaller like this.
  11. kilimanjaro

kilimanjaro Skagit County Well-Known Member

Report them stolen to the police, and have your attorney prepare a formal demand letter to the spouse for their return, in original condition. Your attorney can deliver the letter as soon as the police report is investigated, and ensure that California authorities are encouraged to follow through at their end.

Theft is theft, and firearms are not the antique clock that was on the fireplace mantle. Two guns is grand larceny, and taking them to another state is a federal felony, one count for each gun. The recipients of these stolen guns are in deep sierra. Trafficking, conspiracy, the list goes on.

Brutus57, coyotecaller and Larrytpdx like this.
  12. DuneHopper

DuneHopper Douglas County. Well-Known Member

Second that, its ridiculous to not report them missing.
    As you are speculating they were taken by these kids, if they were not and you don't report them they could be used in a crime and your insurance company wont cover the loss if you wait.

13. kilimanjaro

kilimanjaro Skagit County Well-Known Member

Don't expect any insurance coverage, if it's just homeowner's type coverage. They usually put a low limit on gun coverage, and will squawk about spouses, community property, etc., etc.

14. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If you're a NRA member $2,500 firearm insurance is included in your membership

Brutus57 likes this.
  15. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

If they (or any other thing/artifact) are "missing", they got stolen. They just don't up and walk away by their own selves.

orygun, Stomper, coyotecaller and 4 others like this.
  16. Heywood

Heywood Prineville Oregon Well-Known Member

B.S. If guns can kill on their own, they can certainly walk off on their own.

17. FatherHolyHoly

FatherHolyHoly MN Active Member

I guess I read into it a little differently. Perhaps they'll "turn up" after the divorce is finalized. If that's the case, there may be other opinions.

18. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Report them missing! ASAP! CYOA! (Cover your own azz!)

Brutus57 likes this.
  19. nammac

nammac I-5 Corridor - West of Portland Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Yea, but how'd they get out of the safe without help?

Unless one of them is a locksmith too...

Seriously, file a police report. This is serious business...

Brutus57 likes this.
  20. whiskeybill

whiskeybill Battle Ground, WA Well-Known Member

And if there is no sign of "breaking & entering" in the police report, they won't pay out a nickel. Whatever the firearms were in, be it an automobile, safe, the house, whatever, if there is no sign of forced entry, insurance won't pay a thing. Not NRA insurance, not any insurance. Over twenty years ago, I made the dumb mistake of leaving a couple hunting rifles in the "headache rack" in my pickup while I went into a friends house for a short visit. The truck was locked, and it was broad daylight in a decent neighborhood in Billings, MT. When I came out a half hour later, one of the rifles was missing and the drivers door was ajar. Someone had "slim jimmed" the lock. No money from insurance, and I'm still waiting for the miraculous call from some law enforcement agency that they found the rifle.