JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had to prove my firearms proficiency every year for 21 years in the Navy. Part of that was general firearms safety (which included the phrase "DO NOT POINT YOUR WEAPON AT ANYTHING YOU DO NOT INTEND TO KILL OR DESTROY!" That has stuck with me to this day, I have repeated this to my wife and my daughter repeatedly, so often that they will repeat it to me when I ask what the golden rules are. That and every gun is loaded until you check and make sure it is not.

Training is no guarantee of safety...
I was trained in safe gun handling long before any "professional" training the Army gave me...But I have seen many a Infantryman do some incredibly stupid things with a rifle.

As for the argument of a drivers license , test or training for firearms...I think that argument has no place in a discussion of firearms...Firearms are a right...driving is privilege...but since we went there...We have drivers training in most high schools...yet do we not still have accidents?....

Note that I am not against receiving training...but training only works as long as you apply it your situation.

Training also needs to be very personal in order to be effective... what works for you may not for me... yet many trainers teach in a one method fits all style...which may mean one method fits none...
Many mandated training classes are next to useless in regards to how to fit the training to an individuals needs as they are often tailored to the lowest common denominator...and very general with broad topics and situations.

Owning a firearm is a very personal and intimate right...If you are a law abiding US citizen , then you should be able to own the firearm of your choice...But you also need to take responsibility for exercising that right.
It should be your choice to take training ( or not ) at a personal level....not up to someone hundreds or thousands of miles away , who knows nothing about you or your situation.
Andy

Last Edited:
I agree that not everyone who has had the benefit of military firearms training has the mind set to apply the safety training they received. Nor does everybody who has taken a GOOD firearms safety course as a civilian have the mid set. Personally it is something that I take very seriously. I have a copy of the latest WA state Firearms Laws in my Range bag, and it seems with every new firearm I buy in WA comes with a copy as well. I got my OR Concealed Weapon Permit when they required a Class taught by a State Qualified Instructor or Documentation on your DD-214 that you had Firearms Training in the Military for approval of your Application. Yet I know of Several People in Oregon who Got their permit but never fired the one and only pistol they owned. If so called Constitutional Carry were ever to be passed in the United States it would leave me to wonder who I am safe around. I have friends that I know I can trust, I also have friends that I feel should not be trusted with a Fanner Fifty cap gun.

Personally, I carry concealed every day where ever I go (except on School Grounds where it is prohibited, most of the medical facilities I must use prohibit firearms as well). My concealment is really good, I have never been asked if I was hiding something under my Jacket and summertime here on the beach is never (So far) too hot for a light windbreaker.

Back in the REMF Army our firearm training consisted of getting yelled at a lot about hurrying up and a couple of shooting sessions a year. Nothing about destroying anything our muzzle was pointed at or anything else useful.

The first rifle I shot in my life was in boot camp (yep an'03 Springfield) Same Day I shot the Garand for qualifying, also shot 1911 A1 and a Thompson SMG. Our range time was a total of 5 days and was the first time the instructors weren't yelling at us or calling us Fatherless Wastes of Skin. Fire Arms Safety was the the first thing taught at the range it was also the last thing retaught at the end of day 5.

It isn't a right if you have to ask permission before you can exercise it. The mere fact that one needs a CPL before one can exercise a right given to them by God and affirmed in the COTUS, relegates this supposed right to a privilege.

What would you say or do if you suddenly had to go down to your local sheriff's office and obtain a permit before you could speak your mind? Further, that the criteria that the local sheriff used to determine if he was going to issue you a permit to speak freely, wasn't based on some standard uniform set of rules but, instead, was based purely on his own subjective opinions and beliefs...which were different than the subjective opinions and beliefs of the sheriff in the county next door...which were still different than the opinions and beliefs of the sheriff in the county next door to that?

You would be mad as hell and might well be reaching for your gun to try and figure out who needs to be shot first for implementing such a monumental infringement on your first amendment right. And yet that's exactly what we have with our Second Amendment right. We are all supposed to have the same civil rights but when it comes to 2A, our rights differ dramatically state to state and even county to county within the same state.

When I was much much younger I initially thought that things like background checks and permits and training classes with mandatory scoring requirements were reasonable curtailments on this civil right (or civil liberty if you prefer) of ours. But I grew up in California. And as I became more educated on the politics behind the Second Amendment and how the government really worked, I began to see these things for what they really are...incremental infringements on a god given right that ultimately lead to the subjugation of that right.

This is how it starts. It may even be honorable or good "intentioned" in the beginning. The problem is that sooner or later somebody who isn't honorable and who doesn't have good intentions ultimately gets into office. And they begin to exploit the "good intention" laws and push the slow expansion of those laws. Before you know it, the sheriff now requires a "good cause" statement before he will issue you a permit. And it better be a cause that he feels is worthy enough. And he also wants a reference letter from three people, only one of which can be a family member. And he wants to talk to your neighbors about your request for a CCW before he will issue you one.

For the record, I absolutely believe that anyone who carries should get qualified training...and retraining from time to time. I just don't believe it should be mandatory. Even the permit. What of the honorable young woman who gets involved with an initially nice young man, only to discover that he is abusive as hell. She tries to break it off but that isn't going too well. He's stalking her and threatening to kill her.

This woman needs a restraining order but she also needs a gun...and right damn now. Not a month from now after she's applied and waited for her permit or six months from now because the sheriff's office is so backlogged and she couldn't find the appropriate training course. The right to self defense is inherent to life itself. Our founders saw the wisdom and truth in this. I assure you that if they had intended that we obtain a permit and training first, they would have written that into the amendment.

I trained my wife, our kids and one in-law on the safe handling of firearms. I'm not certified, but I feel that I'm entirely qualified to do so. Why do I need a "certified" instructor to teach me what I already know?

Just to be on the safe side, I sent my wife to two separate firearms training sessions. One was NRA sponsored and the other was done by an NRA certified instructor at his home...my wife said she was bored stiff, as I had already taught her all the same stuff they were trying to.

Here's a wild idea...require EVERY American citizen to do 2 years in our nation's military service. THAT should give all the firearms training any American should need and would negate all this B.S.

Here's a wild idea...require EVERY American citizen to do 2 years in our nation's military service. THAT should give all the firearms training any American should need and would negate all this B.S.

I dont want to pay to train, house and equip a a bunch of people who dont want to be there and arent going to be in any way useful for the defense of this country. The all volunteer service gets enough people who want to be there to fill our military ranks thank you very much.

I dont want to pay to train, house and equip a a bunch of people who dont want to be there and arent going to be in any way useful for the defense of this country. The all volunteer service gets enough people who want to be there to fill our military ranks thank you very much.
Hence my suggestion of "everybody goes to Basic, then everybody who doesn't volunteer to stay on goes home." :)

I was particularly surprised when I applied for my WA CPL, that there was no requirement for Proof of Firearms Safety Training. All the Application consisted of was Declaration of Citizenship, Residence, and a similar questionnaire to a form 4473. In Oregon I had to provide either a certificate showing that I successfully completed a Firearms Safety/Concealed Weapons Course or provide a copy of my DD-214 indicating Weapons Training.

Why does not WA require the same? I may take some heat for this, but personally I would feel much better knowing that a person carrying a concealed weapon has at least had some firearms safety training, and not just qualified because he/she was able to answer the questions on the application properly. WHat say you?

Mods, if this is not the appropriate forum area for this please move it to where it may belong. Thanks[/QUOTE

I was wondering if you might share where you obtained your CCP. I'm just across the creek from you and travel to the peninsula frequently. I've had a CCP in Oregon for 20 plus years and would like to get a WA permit so that I'm legal when in your state. Thanks, Bumpy

In Washington you have to go to the Local Police department if they offer this service, or the county Sheriff's office to apply. I don't know off the to of my head what the requirements are for non-resident CPL.

According to the State Website you can apply at any Police Station in an Incporprorated City. or at any County Sheriffs office

Thank you for the information. I got a Florida CCP a few years ago that was supposed to be legal in Wa. but then heard heard that Wa. wasn't recognizing the Fl. permit. Next time I'm in Longbeach I'll check at the police station there. BTW, was saddened to see that the firearms dealer in Ocean Park was no longer in business.
Thanks again, Bumpy

BTW, was saddened to see that the firearms dealer in Ocean Park was no longer in business.
Thanks again, Bumpy

The gun shop in Ocean Park closed down because the owner died. Not sure when that happened but it was before I moved here in June 2017. That shop was still listed in the 2016 phone book. The first thing I did when we got moved in was look for local gun shops. Sandy's in Long Beach. I won't shop there, his prices are too high and and he did not even greet me when I walked in. He was actually quite disrespectful in my opinion. Sort of like I am the only one in town take it or leave it!'

Thank you for the information. I got a Florida CCP a few years ago that was supposed to be legal in Wa. but then heard heard that Wa. wasn't recognizing the Fl. permit. Next time I'm in Longbeach I'll check at the police station there. BTW, was saddened to see that the firearms dealer in Ocean Park was no longer in business.
Thanks again, Bumpy

Washington only accepts licenses that are up to the minimum WA standards. Florida allows those under 21 to carry so no dice in Washington.

BTW, was saddened to see that the firearms dealer in Ocean Park was no longer in business.
Thanks again, Bumpy

The gun shop in Ocean Park closed down because the owner died. Not sure when that happened but it was before I moved here in June 2017. That shop was still listed in the 2016 phone book. The first thing I did when we got moved in was look for local gun shops. Sandy's in Long Beach. I won't shop there, his prices are too high and and he did not even greet me when I walked in. He was actually quite disrespectful in my opinion. Sort of like I am the only one in town take it or leave it!'

That's to bad about the shop in Longbeach, I've never stopped by that shop. I had the same experience at a gunsmith shop in Tillamook. Guy was downright rude, and all I wanted to do was spend some money but he had NO time for me! Won't go back!

Are you talking about Joe's Gunshop? I had a very good visit there, wife and I went to the Tillamook CheeseFactory, and stopped at Joes Gunshop afterward. He was very nice, and was very helpful. Good thing he has a box of Used reloading Die Sets, all priced at $20. I bought a set of almost new RCBS 30-06 Dies that day. I have intensions of returning to see if he has added any more milsurp guns to his stock.

as a non resident i drove to vancouver to the sheriffs office, paid $50, turned in my application and got finger printed. my license took 22 days instead of the 60 they told me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top