JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Drove down to the Clark County Sheriff's Office on December 10th to renew my CPL for the 2nd time. Upon completing the paperwork and getting my picture taken, I was told it would be 30-35 days. I thought about saying that the law says they must be completed in 30 days, but I kept my trap shut. Last time I renewed they used every bit of their 30 day allowance. Here we are now on January 23rd and the damn thing still hasn't come, it expired on the 4th, so what might have been 6 days unarmed has now been almost 20. Any idea who I can contact about this? Anyone else dealt with this? I'm pretty frustrated.

I was going to suggest you use their online citizen survey to point out the delay, but when I clicked to get the actual URL, I got the message below.

1579810706847.png

I spoke with a guy that lives in NJ. Their laws are a little different, but he did have a "run in" with the local sheriff. Similar to your story..... except the sheriff took the attitude and told him "I've got a pile of papers a foot and a half high. I'm not digging through it to find YOUR paperwork." He explained what the law said and the sheriff told him the knew what the law says....

The guy went to the county attorney's office, with a print out of the law, and demanded that the attorney take the case before a judge and have his request approved immediately. The attorney took all his info and he left the attorney's office.

20 mins later, on his drive home, he got a call from the sheriff's office saying his paperwork was completed and he can pick it up anytime. He turned around and got his paperwork.

Maybe a polite phone call (or visit in person) to the sheriff's office asking the status and reiterating what the law says (with a copy in hand if you chose to go visit them).

Or, contact the county attorney's office and have them look into it?

I renewed mine few months ago and I think I waited like 3 weeks or less. It's possible you just happen to renew yours in bad timing (many applications) and all that holidays between. like others said, give them a call or stop by ask what's going on.

hope you get it soon.

I guess this is a heads-up for me to get an early start on it when expiration times comes around.

Quoting myself again. Maybe I'd better get started on that renewal; mine expires 2-2021.

Starting some time in 2018, a law was passed that required the DOL to send out renewal notices, which they hadn't done previously. Somehow, I'm not trusting of that process. I'll continue to keep an eye on it on my own.

HB 1315, the current session proposal to change the criteria for obtaining a CPL in Washington is a significant revision. Firstly, it makes significant revisions to the existing text of the law. Secondly, it adds a proficiency qualification requirement for obtaining the license. My initial impression is that there will be a significant reduction of applications for new licenses and for renewals. Some people just won't want to invest the time and effort required to qualify.

One might suppose there are two dynamics behind these changes. One, to reduce the number of people who have the license. Two, to dial up the quality of those people who do have them. It's hard for me to argue in favor of idiots having one who shouldn't; we've all known one or more people who probably shouldn't have had one even though there was no legal bar for them not to. In itself, the following is not a justification but about half the states require proficiency requirements before issuing a CPL.

Here's a link to the text of the proposed HB 1315 as it stands at the moment:

There is a Senate version of this, SB 6347, which also requires proficiency qualification but is not so detailed as the House bill. The Senate version would extend the period of the validity of the license to seven years from the current five.

The House bill would retain the 2018 requirement for renewal reminder. Germane to the original post, they have stricken the requirement to approve within 30 days in the House bill.

Just a footnote, Virginia has a proficiency requirement for issuing a CPL. For veterans, a DD 214 suffices.

During one of my renewals, my wait time also went past 30 days. On the 32nd day I went to the sheriffs office and presented my expired permit and receipt to the deputy and she took it into the back room and 15 minutes later came out with a new license and said sorry for the delay, you're all set to go. I said thank you and left.

I feel very lucky we have a pro-gun sheriff in Linn county. Haven't come up for renewal, yet, but they didn't stall on my carry license, either.

The process in Marion county, Oregon, could not have gone any smoother for me.

Was notified by mail more than a month before it was going to expire, made an online appointment, and was also reminded by email of my upcoming appointment.

Went in yesterday and from The time I walked into the courthouse and walked out with my renewed Concealed carry license was a total of eight minutes.

I thanked them for their excellent process.

why did you wait for the renewal window to lapse? did you even call them?

I picked up the phone after 3 weeks and called.
Where did I say I let the renewal window lapse? CPL expired 1-4-20. I renewed on 12-10-19.

I don't even know which number to call, it's not like they have a CPL department listed on their website.
During one of my renewals, my wait time also went past 30 days. On the 32nd day I went to the sheriffs office and presented my expired permit and receipt to the deputy and she took it into the back room and 15 minutes later came out with a new license and said sorry for the delay, you're all set to go. I said thank you and left.
I don't think it'll work like that anymore now that they're plastic cards with your photo on it.

90 days to renew.

and Firearms

and you did, your 30 day windows over lapsed your active date anyways

you could also go back to where you renewed it and ask.

the sheriffs dept has a number on the website.

I hope many who read this will use it as a reminder. Don't wait. My Wife let hers lapse one time. I only caught it because it was time for me and I asked her if she had done hers. Hers was lapsed. I get on it as soon as I can just in case. Hopefully OP will get his soon here.

It's been my experience that the renewal receipt along with the existing (soon to expire) CPL is good until the new one is received, even if the existing one does expire.
When Wife let hers go that was what I had her do. Keep the receipt that she had been in. I figured if she needed the gun the permit being expired would be nothing compared to having the gun. Also what were the chances some LEO was going to stop and search her? Still got on her about not waiting so long again though :cool:

When the current Clark County Sheriff was running for election the first time he showed up at our gun club annual picnic to campaign. He made a nice speech about the right to keep and bear arms, which he promptly forgot as soon as he won the election.

He is not a friend of the 2nd Amendment.

If I read the article correctly, when he swears in new deputies the oath is to "uphold the Rule of Law", not "uphold the Constitution". (Saw the swearing-in information on the CCSO Facebook page.)

Last Edited:
I talked a friend just this week who's driver license and CPL expired 3-1/2 years ago :eek:

Rest assured, I chewed him a new one. And yes, he still drives and carries o_O
The driving would be far more to worry about. If he gets into a wreck he would have no insurance, assuming he was bothering to buy it. They would not pay out since he had no valid. Even if he just got pulled over for something simple with it that far expired most LEO's would make him get out and and best let him find a legal driver to take the car. Many would just have it towed right there and then. This could get stupid expensive fast:confused:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top