JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a WA Concealed Pistol Permit. I know that Oregon does not share reciprocity with WA.
My question is...
If I have a loaded gun concealed in my vehicle and cross the bridge into Oregon. Am I now breaking the law?

I know I definitely would not be able to conceal the gun on my person. But Im wondering if I can leave it in my vehicle in Oregon concealed and not be violating the law.

Thanks!

From the OFF website:

"Oregon has no prohibition on carrying loaded handguns in your car. But the state DOES allow localities to restrict loaded carry of firearms "in public places" which, oddly enough, includes your car.
If you are in a place like Portland or Oregon City that restricts loaded carry by people who do not have concealed handgun licenses, you may not have a loaded firearm in your vehicle. Furthermore, if it is a handgun, it must be carried openly or "not readily accessible." That means if you have a trunk it must be there. If you don't, it can be in a locked glove-box, center console or other locked container and if the container is opened by key, the key cannot be in the container.
Long guns do not have to be "not readily accessible" but if you don't have a concealed handgun license and you are in a locality that restricts loaded carry it must be unloaded."

You can read more at:

FAQ's. A Gun Owner's Guide In The Beaver State. - Oregon Firearms Federation

Multnomah County actually outlaws cartridges in magazines. Your magazine must be empty if you don't have a CHL and that includes when it's in your car.

I just went thru your beautiful state and installed a pistol vault in the back of my suv so I would be legal thru there. Soon to get the Utah CHL and that will be legal in Washington.

Last Edited:
No reciprocity is beyond stupid. Seriously this no CPL/CHL or open carry at all in Portand and the extra hoops I'd have to jump through to get an Oregon CHL has kept me from bringing my family back down to PDX. My Grandmother may never meet her newest great granddaughter because I refuse to take them to safe space gun free zones.

I have always thought this "no" reciprocity between Oregon and Washington CHL as quite stupid. A "bad" guy or gal isn't going to obey any law anyway. All we are doing is trying to protect our loved ones and ourselves.

I have always thought this "no" reciprocity between Oregon and Washington CHL as quite stupid. A "bad" guy or gal isn't going to obey any law anyway. All we are doing is trying to protect our loved ones and ourselves.
Thats why the whole permit thing in the first place is just stupid. All it does is create an infringing mess of laws only the lawful will follow, and makes them a criminal if they make 1 mistake (like crossing a border) or makes them a victime when the know and follow the law where they cant carry.

I have a WA Concealed Pistol Permit. I know that Oregon does not share reciprocity with WA.
Oregon law allows residents of an adjoining state to apply for an OR Concealed Pistol Permit.
You should. But need to do so in a firearms-friendly county, because the sheriff's approval is required.

Which county would you recommend?
Columbia county in Rainier is pretty stellar. Multnomah county has started to become much easier for Washington residents as well. Main thing is you'll need 2 character references and a letter stating why you need the license. Business reasons in Oregon are always a good go to. I evenly explained to sheriff Dickerson that although I could open carry in his jurisdiction I'd need a CHL for doing cash deposits in Portland for my job. He approved it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top