Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

WA county OR, notify LEO of CHL.

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Hawaiian, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

The current WA County Sheriffs Office Newsletter has the following article. I know some have different opinion on this so I am only sharing the article.

Disclosing Your Concealed Weapon During a Traffic Stop

During a traffic stop, how would deputies like a CHL holder to advise them they are carrying a weapon?

When the deputy approaches your vehicle, simply introduce yourself and tell them that you are a concealed handgun license holder and that you have your weapon with you. (You can also present your CHL with your identification.) It is helpful to tell the deputy where the gun is, but do not to pull the weapon out unless you are asked or directed to do so.

While none of this is a legal requirement, this is how our deputies would like motorists to respond to avoid surprises and to ensure the safety of everyone involved.

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

Great for those that are CHL holder in that county, but the CHL is valid State Wide. How would someone from outside the county anticipate the expectations of deputies in Washington County?

3. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

If the motorist is a law abiding chl holder what is the risk to a Leo?

4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

Zero....

Martini_Up and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Wish in one hand...

6. bellarum

bellarum beaverton Well-Known Member

I thought that your CHL info came up when they ran your plate before they even got out of their vehicle. If that's not the case...it should be.

7. Mbeef61

Mbeef61 SW PDX Active Member

I had a cop tell me he let me off a ticket specifically because I told him my registration was in my center console and I was going to reach for it, I didn't just block his view and start rifling through things. Being up front and considerate might get you out of the very reason he stopped you.

Put yourself in their shoes. People think this CHL is a good guys card. BS. Just cuz you passed a background check doesn't make you ok in my book. I am sure there are plenty of criminals carrying legally

8. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

I'd tell them if a gun was in the console along with my registration. I have no desire to exit the vehicle at gunpoint. This would be one of the few circumstances I would notify them.

9. oli700

oli700 Rogue Valley Well-Known Member

bingo.....in Oregon anyway

orygun and (deleted member) like this.
  10. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

And another one.................

11. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

There is no need to do this, as it comes up on their screen when they run your plates or lic.
    This is bunk.

12. Mbeef61

Haha ok. The cop basically paid me 250$ (speeding ticket) for telling him my intended movements. I'll take that deal all day. You can take the ticket and be a tough guy

evltwn and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Mbeef61

If I was a cop and saw a CHL I would assume he has a gun. I would prefer to know for sure rather than not. You are a fool if you wouldnt.

I say again. CHL isn't a good guy card. I have met a bunch of idiots that have them and I wouldn't trust them farther than I could throw them.

BillB1960 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Why? You're less of a criminal than most police officers according to the stats.

Steve M and (deleted member) like this.
  15. jvbutter

jvbutter Cornelius, Or Active Member

so my experience is this... I have 3 pull overs...
    1 had a gun in glove box with registration/ ins, told LEO and he said no issue just give me your license
    1 had a gun in backpack on the floor, he said, u have license, YES, he said good, leave it there and we have no issue. gave him license out of glove box
    1 had no gun, but she saw the concealed license and got worried.

I just tell them when I have gun in the car, that's all, no gun, I don't share anything. If they ask, I tell them yes or no gun in car....

works good for me.

ZigZagZeke and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Steve M

Steve M Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

My understanding is that they are only able to see that you have applied for a CHL and not your current status as a CHL holder, but that is just repeated rumor. What I do know is that a friend with a CHL that doesn't even own a gun got pulled over in Oregon City some years back. As soon as they ran his DL they called for backup and waited for it to show up before yelling at him for his bad driving with younger siblings in the car then letting him go on his way. In this case he was a mile from home with a clean driving and criminal record so that was just a bit of an overreaction by OCPD.

Just under two years ago I was out in the forest near Sisters with family doing some target shooting when a deputy rolled up as part of his routine stopping at a known popular shooting area to make sure everyone was being safe and not trashing the place. He knew my name and address before it got more than one word out of my mouth from running the plates on my truck. That means he knew I had a CHL, but that was a moot point considering we had guns everywhere and the whole point of his visit to that spot was to check in on people with loaded firearms. There were no calls for backup or discrimination based on my status as a CHL holder or our possession of loaded firearms.

Every law enforcement officer should assume that everyone is armed so discovering that a driver has a CHL shouldn't change how they handle the traffic stop. If I were a police officer I'd rather spend a career risking getting killed by never taking the first shot than kill some kid with a toy gun.

17. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

That has actually been in the newsletter for about a year. I have a buddy who is a deputy with WA County and basically they all will be much cooler with you if you disclose. Makes them feel like you are more honest with them.

18. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

I have had one bad experience by telling an officer I was a licensed carrier. He got on his radio and in a loud and firm voice said "he has a gun". He was one of the greenhorn Beaverton cops. I am gonna keep my mouth shut about BPD, because I don't have anything nice to say at this point.

I have had a few run-ins with WCSO before and never had any problems that I can remember, when it came to me being armed and in the driver seat.

I had a Gresham cop not give my friend (driver) a ticket because I was in the passenger side front seat. I was respectful and showed him my CHL right away and I think he really appreciated that.

A few weeks ago Portland PD made contact with me as I got off the max because they said I matched the description of a certain individual who ran from them. The officer was a young male, he was a bit rude at first because he just came up to me and asked for ID and I was like oooooh no.. nice try lol.... you don't get to just rush up on me and ask for ID lol... then he explained and I complied. He was still trying to act hard and I told him "sir, out of respect I would like to inform you that I have a CHL" and I showed it to him. The officer then asked where my pistol was and I told him and he was more calm... he stopped acting all hard.

So in conclusion I will be respectful and inform the officer that I have a CHL for my safety and his/hers. If the officer is way out of line and is a major D-bag, then I keep my mouth shut about my CHL unless I am asked if I have weapons on me. Never just tell a cop I HAVE A GUN!!!! that's a big no no... imagine if you are the LEO and someone tells you I HAVE A GUN! you go in red alert right away.

19. finnmike

finnmike Vancouver, wa Active Member

LE have enough on their plates without having to drag out the fact you have a firearm on you or in the rig. Just be polite and give them your CHL along with your DL. Have it ready with both hands in view when they approach. Or....be a putz and see where that gets you.

20. Steve M

Steve M Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

This is the only part I don't agree with. I have a hard time imagining a situation where someone informs an officer that he has a weapon prior to using it on that officer. It also makes the assumption that a citizen should first demonstrate he has government permission to be armed by starting out with the CHL. We need to stop training law enforcement to equate gun possession to criminal intent.

What concerns me most about BPD is that we keep swearing in rookie officers from CA that have preconceived notions about guns that are based on Nazi party ideals instead of Oregon law.

JSchuster, Koda, Grunwald and 2 others like this.