JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...t-killed-biker-injured-another-was-emaciated/

" S.J. Brooks and Isaac Sederbaum did what they were supposed to do, authorities say. They made loud noises to scare the cougar away. One of them even struck the animal with a bicycle.
But none of it worked. The big cat that had been following the two friends as they were mountain biking in rural Washington state pounced, lunging at Sederbaum's head and killing Brooks, whom the animal mauled in its den.
The attacks Saturday morning — the first fatal one in the state in nearly a century ... "

11 a.m. Saturday.

near North Bend, a foothills town 30 miles from Seattle

View attachment 702124

Hopefully that cat makes its way to Seattle.....they want em, they get em....

Is this the same one where one guy got attacked and his buddy started running so the cat chased him down and killed him and the first guy attacked made it out?

That one made me laugh:D:p

Not because someone died But because the guy that first bailed didn't stick around to help his buddy and got eaten...

Maybe callouss but I wouldn't leave a friend to deal with an attacking animal. That and a bicycle isn't much of a weapon to protect yourself with:confused:

Is this the same one where one guy got attacked and his buddy started running so the cat chased him down and killed him and the first guy attacked made it out?

That one made me laugh:D:p

Not because someone died But because the guy that first bailed didn't stick around to help his buddy and got eaten...

Maybe callouss but I wouldn't leave a friend to deal with an attacking animal. That and a bicycle isn't much of a weapon to protect yourself with:confused:
What's the old joke, don't have to be able to outrun the animal, just have to be able to outrun your buddy :s0140:

Old news. Another East Coast transplant found out how dangerous the real wilderness is. Too good for the Burke Gilman? Stick to biking thru homeless camps from now on, dude. SAR finding and rescuing your dumb arses is expensive. :rolleyes:

What, too soon? Been 2 years...

Washington state abandoned cougar hunting with dogs years ago. There is a bill pending that would restore that. Bill came along in March, but I don't think state government has moved on it yet.

I talked to a Forest Service ranger in the Olympics about this issue, maybe a couple of years ago. He said he doesn't like dog hunting for cougars, but also said the number of cougars on the Olympic Peninsula could be 3,000 or more. The Cascades, I am not sure. Once dog hunting was outlawed, the population grew.

I find it interesting, yesterday there was a Bear report form Maple Valley/Soos Creek where one killed two goats and F&W will not trap it for relocation. It is up to residents to lock up thei kids and animals and clear out any temptation, bird feeders and such!
I'm sorry but, my response just might be SSS!

I took my girlfriend's parents huckleberry picking last summer. They are urban California transplants and scared to death of bears. I assured them that there was nothing to worry about and that I picked that patch the week before with no sign of bears.

We got there and I soon found evidence of recent bear activity. Luckily they didn't notice the claw marks on the main trail through the patch...

lCdAGowLRIOjeZfRR7HCsg.jpeg

I called in 5 cats this winter with a Fox Pro game call. Snowmobile the coast range or Mt. Hood until you cut fresh tracks, triangulate the area, get good wind and start your sequence, call for 30-45 minutes glassing the entire time as they will sneak in most of the time then aim small miss small. The overpopulation Issue has made this style of predator hunting awesome.

As do dogs. Every dog I ever had chase me on my bike or motorcycle, stopped when I stopped.

Sometimes I even turned around and chased the dog - then they ran away. But yes, sometimes, rarely - but sometimes, a gun might be necessary.

FWIW, a lot more (10X) people are killed by pet/feral dogs than are killed by cougars and bears combined. Man's best friend? :s0092:

Of course there are a lot more dogs than there are bears and cougars, but the risk is still much higher because of the number of dogs and their familiarity with humans (and vice versa).

Had a little rat dog chase me everyday on my ride home from school. One day I put my feet up and he bit the chain. Drug his face through the sprocket. He never chased another bike again.

I took my girlfriend's parents huckleberry picking last summer. They are urban California transplants and scared to death of bears. I assured them that there was nothing to worry about and that I picked that patch the week before with no sign of bears.

We got there and I soon found evidence of recent bear activity. Luckily they didn't notice the claw marks on the main trail through the patch...

View attachment 702597
We were hiking through Warm Springs, and being the old fart I was alone at the tail. When I found a huge patch of huckleberry. Sticking my head up and on a swivel I looked for bear sign. All I saw were small fairly fresh piles of blue poop. They were there, and sleeping off a binge. I picked my fill and kept on hiking.

Pretty soon I find the Troop waiting at the next cross roads. "Where have you been, what took you so long, and what are you eating?" as I popped berries in my mouth.

"Huckleberries."

"Where did you get those?"

"Off a huckleberry bush. Your sitting on one."

Suddenly the hike came second to picking berries. Plenty to eat and even some for pancakes in the morning.

I love it when I can teach them something.

The bears grab a branch in their mouth and rake it through their teeth to get all the berries off, often ripping off the branches and damaging the plant. I was amused to see my 100lb dog acquire a taste for huckleberries while I was picking them. About an hour later, he was using the same method as the bears, Smart dog.

Had a little rat dog chase me everyday on my ride home from school. One day I put my feet up and he bit the chain. Drug his face through the sprocket. He never chased another bike again.

When my dad was a young fellow, many cars still had wooden spoke wheels. They'd drive down a country road and sure enough, every so often a dog would run out and chase the car. So they'd tie a length of rope through the wooden wheel spokes. When a dog ran out and saw the rope, they'd go for it, clamp down then get spun like a top.

My mom used to come up here for visits about twice a year. She liked pickin' huckleberries on our property. But it takes a lot of pickin' to get enough for a pie.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews