JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

We need 30 people for this event. Will you be there?

• Total voters
what are the rules for driving to washington with Firearms and no washington carry permit?
  • Washington has preemption throughout the entire state (Laws are the same regardless of city or county borders)
  • With no carry permit you are allowed to open carry as long as you can legally own a firearm.
  • There is an exception that differs from Oregon though wherein you cannot do so in a vehicle without the carry permit.
  • There is another exception as well that exempts the carry requirements when going to and from outdoor recreational activities. I.E. You can carry either open or concealed when going to outdoor recreational activities however if you do so then it is advisable to be prepared to demonstrate that you are indeed doing so. Map to the area, gloves, targets, etc.
Let me see what else I can dig up. I have an open carry pamphlet that I'll see if I can post here and then I'll find the statute for the outdoor activities as well.

Try this link for the open carry pamphlet:
https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Updated Washington State Open Carry Pamphlet.pdf?token=AWxNyzjZURg15HAOpOWvoxqZw1NM3d9F9KHv7qZS6uL14S-Gg0PsGkeapg9YMUtKAhpSAsnSRZ7Rnzvizq-P9PqSsY8JcqAyTPgGLjhA4rXnjg

RCW 9.41.060
Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.
The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.060
http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050

One other note: This applies to handguns, not rifles. Rifles must be unloaded regardless of carry permits when they are in a vehicle. Unloaded means no loaded magazine inserted and no rounds in the chamber. Magazines do not need to be empty.

Unloaded and in plain sight, not concealed.
Mags need to be unloaded, even if they're not in the firearm.
This would apply inside a vehicle except that magazines do not need to be unloaded. They cannot be in a firearm in a vehicle.

RCW 9.41.010
Terms defined.
(14) "Loaded" means:
(a) There is a cartridge in the chamber of the firearm;
(b) Cartridges are in a clip that is locked in place in the firearm;
(c) There is a cartridge in the cylinder of the firearm, if the firearm is a revolver;
(d) There is a cartridge in the tube or magazine that is inserted in the action; or
(e) There is a ball in the barrel and the firearm is capped or primed if the firearm is a muzzle loader.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.010

I'm feeling a little shaky on this and shouldn't have answered.
You may have to case them.
Best bet is probably to keep them unloaded, cased and in the trunk.
Bolus knows better than to take us for our word without doing a little research.

I'll see if I can find the statute for that as well. Cannot be left in plain sight in a vehicle that is unattended is what it boils down to.

RCW 9.41.050
(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Last Edited:
I'm feeling a little shaky on this and shouldn't have answered.
You may have to case them.
Best bet is probably to keep them unloaded, cased and in the trunk.
Bolus knows better than to take us for our word without doing a little research.

Thanks, what a pain in the butt trying to remember all these rules. Perhaps I should just be a criminal, they get all the rights. If I can go I'll probably just leave everything at home except my tactical wizard staff.

magazines do not need to be unloaded
Looked it up. My bad, never had need to know.
Just goes to show you can't believe everything you're told when pulled over. My brother was reprimanded pretty strongly by a state trooper who told him a loaded mag was a loaded firearm. Of course nothing came of it because he handed over his military id.
But I broke a cardinal rule and assumed he knew what he was talking about.

Looked it up. My bad, never had need to know.
Just goes to show you can't believe everything you're told when pulled over. My brother was reprimanded pretty strongly by a state trooper who told him a loaded mag was a loaded firearm. Of course nothing came of it because he handed over his military id.
But I broke a cardinal rule and assumed he knew what he was talking about.
Most of law enforcement actually only have a general knowledge of the firearm statutes. Not a smear on them but rather a reflection of the fact that our laws are so voluminous. For this reason I keep copies of the relevant statutes on my phone. I have never had to use them however it never hurts to be prepared. Especially since I always open carry.

Most of law enforcement actually only have a general knowledge of the firearm statutes. Not a smear on them but rather a reflection of the fact that our laws are so voluminous. For this reason I keep copies of the relevant statutes on my phone. I have never had to use them however it never hurts to be prepared. Especially since I always open carry.

Don't suppose you could post links to the statutes so I could do the same please?

I thought a loaded mag was OK as long as it isn't in the gun but I've got a CC and never needed to bother.:oops:

If I travel outside the 2 states I have a CC for then all guns are unloaded in cases with empty mags in a separate tote and the ammo all in ammo cans - all of it in the trunk.

Figure it would be hard to break any rules driving like that.

Don't suppose you could post links to the statutes so I could do the same please?

I thought a loaded mag was OK as long as it isn't in the gun but I've got a CC and never needed to bother.:oops:
In post #41 above I included links to RCW 9.41.050, 9.41.060, and I just added 9.41.010 (definitions) as well. That covers most of what might come up in a stop by LE. What I did was copy them into a document and then create pdf files that I can read with my phone. You might also grab the open carry pamphlet as well even for conceal carry since it still references the same statutes.

If I travel outside the 2 states I have a CC for then all guns are unloaded in cases with empty mags in a separate tote and the ammo all in ammo cans - all of it in the trunk.

Figure it would be hard to break any rules driving like that.
Be careful in CA, NJ, and NY. Maybe a few others. In NJ they don't care how it's carried. If you don't have a license to own a firearm AND/OR are not on the most direct path to the practice range they will nail you. Someone was just arrested there going home from the range because he went off the direct route to drop his uncle who went with him off at his home.

I probably overreacted per usual. But for the record, my reaction was more in defense of others (also per usual) than for myself (I don't much care what people think of me, just don't throw stones at the undeserving).

@Mikej, sorry if I read you wrong and thanks for your efforts in trying to bolster support for this.

Hey, no worries. I've got myself down for the Tillamook cleanup, and that's a "for sure". As soon as I got the date, Wifey and I set it aside. Maybe I've got too much free time? When someone goes to all the work to arrange for something like this, and believe me there's a lot of work compared to me scrounging around on the ground picking crap for two hours, I consider my part to be pretty damned easy! And when I've got a month or more advance notice? Well, I'm still thinking it's sad if only 13 people show up. Consider the bad press that firearms enthusiasts get, it is kind of a duty to step up and help all of us. If there were 400 people that read about the clean-up, and 30 show up, that would make for a pretty quick job

I'll be there however I may need to work the table Bill. Having surgery to have a cyst removed on the 25th. and because I am on heart meds (paint thinner) I will need to be careful to keep it clean and not do anything that would open it up. It's the third one in 6 weeks and the first two took about 4 days to heal up enough that they would stop leaking. We may be able to supply some of the stuff needed as well. Table, cook stove, percolator, maybe coffee and/or water. Do you have a popup? If not we may be able to come up with one.
No prob, GunRights. Perhaps you and @Caveman Jim could share the Camp Jack duties. That being just what you mentioned above (keep the coffee flowing, and help set up for the BBQ). That would be a big load off my plate! Hopefully Caveman can make it.

Yes, we do need another popup canopy for the cooking stuff. A table would be great and the cook stoves you and Caveman have would be perfect.

Thanks you guys!

So far, the weather forecast for later part of next week sounds all right! We'll have a great time.

Wait a minute, am I reading this right. I can holster my firearm legally without a CPL/CCW, in the open ? Still waiting for my CCW to come back.

One thing I loved about college in Arizona was their open carry laws...

I don't miss Cali

• Washington has preemption throughout the entire state (Laws are the same regardless of city or county borders)
  • With no carry permit you are allowed to open carry as long as you can legally own a firearm.
  • There is an exception that differs from Oregon though wherein you cannot do so in a vehicle without the carry permit.
  • There is another exception as well that exempts the carry requirements when going to and from outdoor recreational activities. I.E. You can carry either open or concealed when going to outdoor recreational activities however if you do so then it is advisable to be prepared to demonstrate that you are indeed doing so. Map to the area, gloves, targets, etc.
Let me see what else I can dig up. I have an open carry pamphlet that I'll see if I can post here and then I'll find the statute for the outdoor activities as well.

Try this link for the open carry pamphlet:
https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Updated Washington State Open Carry Pamphlet.pdf?token=AWxNyzjZURg15HAOpOWvoxqZw1NM3d9F9KHv7qZS6uL14S-Gg0PsGkeapg9YMUtKAhpSAsnSRZ7Rnzvizq-P9PqSsY8JcqAyTPgGLjhA4rXnjg

RCW 9.41.060
Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.
The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.060
http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050

One other note: This applies to handguns, not rifles. Rifles must be unloaded regardless of carry permits when they are in a vehicle. Unloaded means no loaded magazine inserted and no rounds in the chamber. Magazines do not need to be empty.

This would apply inside a vehicle except that magazines do not need to be unloaded. They cannot be in a firearm in a vehicle.

RCW 9.41.010
Terms defined.
(14) "Loaded" means:
(a) There is a cartridge in the chamber of the firearm;
(b) Cartridges are in a clip that is locked in place in the firearm;
(c) There is a cartridge in the cylinder of the firearm, if the firearm is a revolver;
(d) There is a cartridge in the tube or magazine that is inserted in the action; or
(e) There is a ball in the barrel and the firearm is capped or primed if the firearm is a muzzle loader.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.010

I'll see if I can find the statute for that as well. Cannot be left in plain sight in a vehicle that is unattended is what it boils down to.

RCW 9.41.050
(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Wait a minute, am I reading this right. I can holster my firearm legally without a CPL/CCW, in the open ? Still waiting for my CCW to come back.

One thing I loved about college in Arizona was their open carry laws...

I don't miss Cali
That would be correct. I open carry every day and I refuse to ask for a permission slip from the state to do so. Just keep in mind the restrictions for in a vehicle. I.E. It needs to be unloaded without the permit.

I have a canopy but it's not waterproof although I do happen to have a tarp that is..... And a Cole man 3 burner propane stove...
I'll be there unless I am sent northbound by the Supreme commander.....;)
A tarp over a canopy generally doesn't look too good. I will have a nice blue canopy for the sign in part and if Gunrights has a good one, we'd be fine with that as a cook tent. That 3 burner would be great!

I'll also have the NWFA banner across the sign in table.

I have a canopy but it's not waterproof although I do happen to have a tarp that is..... And a Cole man 3 burner propane stove...
I'll be there unless I am sent northbound by the Supreme commander.....;)

Gosh, I really want to make the drive now. Not only an opportunity to do some good in the forest, but get to meet the "Fishin' Caveman" too!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top