JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

We need 30 people for this event. Will you be there?

• Total voters
I'm still trying to nail down a few things and could use some help. Here's a revised list of what we still need for the clean up. (The lunch BBQ food is being provided by Safeway, Washougal and Camas. Hamburgers and Hot Dogs with all the trimmings.)

We need:
  • A Propane BBQ equipment
  • A Camp Cook
  • Table(s) (an 8 foot, or, a couple of 6 ft's would be great)
  • A 1 or 2 burner Propane cook stove (to cook the coffee and tea water)
  • Propane coffee pot and coffee
  • Coffee creamer
  • Donuts and cookies
  • Snack bars
  • Water bottles
  • Portable toilet (camping type like Port-a-Potty) and a tent for the Port-a-Potty.

We will set up the BBQ kitchen under a separate tent and have tables to assist in cooking.

KeepnitrReel is down for 2 dozen donuts... We'd like to see another 2 dozen!

We'll have a great time doing a good deed. Can you help by providing any of the above?

Thanks!
Cogs

Might be too big for one of those Coleman propane coffee pots? I think that's all we need for a cook stove... something small enough for the coffee pot and a kettle for hot water.

Thanks anyway, Reel! Good thought.

I'll bring it just in case, you might be able set the flame pretty low to brew coffee. Hope we get enough guys out there. Still hoping for someone to come forward with a trap thrower ;)

Might be too big for one of those Coleman propane coffee pots? I think that's all we need for a cook stove... something small enough for the coffee pot and a kettle for hot water.

Thanks anyway, Reel! Good thought.

I need some special volunteers to fill these positions...

• Early set up crew (1 or 2 to help set up the canopies, table, ect... We arrive about 8 am)
  • Sign-in attendant (help people sign in to DNR & NWFA sheets, hand out raffle tickets)
  • Parking assistant (direct traffic to available spaces)
  • Camp Cook (hot dogs and hamburgers.)
  • Cooks assistant (food prep and set up buffet line)

Thanks for the help!

Cogs

I had a great time last go round - that's my van in the front of the pic:D.

I am pretty sure I can make it but not 100% yet unfortunately.

I can help with any of the additional volunteer positions and have some of the cooking stuff your looking for.

I won't be able to confirm for sure though until that week before the Saturday though.

Hope I can make it.

My thoughts on why we do clean ups on our State and Federal public lands...

I believe and support in the right to own firearms. I believe in our right to use those firearms to recreate on public land. No different than those who believe in their right to own a mountain bike and use it on public land. Or a 4x4 and use it on public land. No different than one who owns a pair of hiking boots and uses those on public land. It's recreation. It's what we do, each in our own unique way.

Most of us appreciate our outdoor places to recreate. We treat the land, the wildlife, and our rights, with great respect. However, we all are very well aware of the ones who don't. They leave their ugly signature everywhere they go. We see it on the trails, the bike paths, the OHV trails and the shooting places. Some people have not learned respect and some choose to ignore it. We haven't found a cure for it yet, so, each recreational group simply deals with it and continues to seek solutions.

What does the community of hikers do when they see trash along their trails? They clean it up. The mountain bikers, motorcycle riders and OHV communities? They clean it up. What about the gun owners community? Where are they?

It's time we step up and chip in. We need our voices heard and become known that gun owners are here to recreate and have the right to do so as we wish. Others will take notice. The recreational groups, State and Federal land managers need us to be involved. They need to know we have just as much respect for our public land as any other group and we will work right along side the rest of them to help keep the land clean, enjoyable and open for the next person.

Sure, we didn't do it. The disrespectful did. But until we find the cure, we need to suck it up, put on the gloves and put in a little time of giving back.

It's time to show just how responsible and respectful the gun owner community is.

And that's my take on why we, as members of the gun community known as Northwest Firearms, do clean ups.

Cogs

Kind of a sad commentary Bill that with all the members enjoying this forum, and all the people enjoying and reaping benefits from the classifieds, that only 13 people have voted to show up, maybe.

It's quite a ways for me to go, but if I can stay caught up on my work enough I may come up....A little road trip ya' know, with gloves, rake and shovel.

Thank you for the effort Bill

Kind of a sad commentary Bill that with all the members enjoying this forum, and all the people enjoying and reaping benefits from the classifieds, that only 13 people have voted to show up, maybe.

It's quite a ways for me to go, but if I can stay caught up on my work enough I may come up....A little road trip ya' know, with gloves, rake and shovel.

I could be wrong but it seems we had 30-40 people up there last time. Kids, wife's and all etc.

If you shoot on public land then you (the general community here, not pointing fingers) should at least spend the 30-45 min to get up there and spend an hour cleaning up - it goes really fast with a lot of people and then we spend the rest of the time showing off our toys and looking at others toys, oh and shooting them:)

Also a large crowd makes a much bigger effect on anti gun people's view of us when pics are shared online...

That's the truth Joe! I was out to the place in the Tillamook that we cleaned up last March and it was pretty bad. Just Wifey and I and I saw no sense in picking up anything because what I could have carried out would not have changed the view what-so-ever. I felt bad, and picked up a bunch of steel casings and cardboard that I could toss in my recycle bin at home.

As you say Joe, when there's a bunch of people cleaning up their little 20'-30' square foot section it makes a BIG difference.

Help me out here, if you would. I can be pretty dense sometimes.
Your post sounds too accusatory for me to stay silent, so here's where I'm at. Please correct me if I'm reading you wrong.
Most here probably want to come and help. These are busy times.
I haven't actually counted, but it seems that a vast majority of the members here are at least as far away as you are. In the same post that you judge others, you elude to not being able to attend yourself. Chances are, there are a lot of people in the same boat as you. But instead of grandstanding, they are waiting to see if they can make it work.
And yes, you were talking to me so I'll give you my excuse which may very well mirror some others.
I'd love to show up and help and have been itching to say I'd be there. It seemed a little premature, so I waited. As it's become impossible for me to make it, I'm glad I did. Be content knowing that what I have to do Saturday is of far greater importance to you and the rest of this community than picking up garbage could ever be.
I'm not trying to belittle you or this event in any way. I think it's great and quite valuable. And, to any who are able to help in anyway, a very sincere thank you.

Mr Cogs, sir, you are awesome for doing this each year. Thank you for all the time you devote. If you feel I've taken a fat deuce on your thread, please feel free to delete this post.

Last Edited:
Was able to get a few of these handed out to businesses around Vancouver area (Sportsman's Warehouse, Bi-Mart Orchards, Ammo Depot, Sporting Systems, Fern Prairie Market and a couple more). Would like to spread around Battle Ground, Brush Prairie and Yacolt. Let me know if you can hand out a few. I'll send you the PDF file.

Also added the QR code that links back to this thread...
View attachment 275992
That's something I can try to help with. Send it chief!

Help me out here, if you would. I can be pretty dense sometimes.
Your post sounds too accusatory for me to stay silent, so here's where I'm at. Please correct me if I'm reading you wrong.
Most here probably want to come and help. These are busy times.
I haven't actually counted, but it seems that a vast majority of the members here are at least as far away as you are. In the same post that you judge others, you elude to not being able to attend yourself. Chances are, there are a lot of people in the same boat as you. But instead of grandstanding, they are waiting to see if they can make it work.
And yes, you were talking to me so I'll give you my excuse which may very well mirror some others.
I'd love to show up and help and have been itching to say I'd be there. It seemed a little premature, so I waited. As it's become impossible for me to make it, I'm glad I did. Be content knowing that what I have to do Saturday is of far greater importance to you and the rest of this community than picking up garbage could ever be.
I'm not trying to belittle you or this event in any way. I think it's great and quite valuable. And, to any who are able to help in anyway, a very sincere thank you.

Mr Cogs, sir, you are awesome for doing this each year. Thank you for all the time you devote. If you feel I've taken a fat deuce on your thread, please feel free to delete this post.

I think it was directed at anyone the shoe fit but that doesn't sound like that's you.

Some people just can not make it, but I'd bet there are people that either are to shy or just not motivated enough to get up on a Sat and go clean a gravel pit - that is who the message was for IMO.

Don't feel bad about not being able to make it if it's not possible (heck I'm still trying to arrange things so I can go) but people should feel a bit embarrassed if they are just not going because of laziness.

I think it was directed at anyone the shoe fit but that doesn't sound like that's you.

Some people just can not make it, but I'd bet there are people that either are to shy or just not motivated enough to get up on a Sat and go clean a gravel pit - that is who the message was for IMO.

Don't feel bad about not being able to make it if it's not possible (heck I'm still trying to arrange things so I can go) but people should feel a bit embarrassed if they are just not going because of laziness.
I probably overreacted per usual. But for the record, my reaction was more in defense of others (also per usual) than for myself (I don't much care what people think of me, just don't throw stones at the undeserving).

@Mikej, sorry if I read you wrong and thanks for your efforts in trying to bolster support for this.

I probably overreacted per usual. But for the record, my reaction was more in defense of others (also per usual) than for myself (I don't much care what people think of me, just don't throw stones at the undeserving).

@Mikej, sorry if I read you wrong and thanks for your efforts in trying to bolster support for this.

Right there with you, I have tough skin but a soft spot for people that are bullied or picked on without provocation.

I'll be there however I may need to work the table Bill. Having surgery to have a cyst removed on the 25th. and because I am on heart meds (paint thinner) I will need to be careful to keep it clean and not do anything that would open it up. It's the third one in 6 weeks and the first two took about 4 days to heal up enough that they would stop leaking. We may be able to supply some of the stuff needed as well. Table, cook stove, percolator, maybe coffee and/or water. Do you have a popup? If not we may be able to come up with one.

Yeah, Mike and Wifey are good folk. Had the pleasure of meeting them last year at the Tillamook cleanup. I think he was a bit surprised at seeing the low count on the vote box above. However, when you look at each past cleanup, we've always shown a low count but the actual turnout is great! Therefore, I'm not too concerned. Yet!

Also consider this... Last night is the first time we've had the notification banner up. So now it will be noticed by all. It's part of the final push just before the event. We'll see other events go like this.

Hey, if few show up, We will have a lot of burgers to eat! Yum!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top