JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Folks,

I lived in Washington for the past five years and recently moved back to my home state of Oregon. I just updated my Oregon CHL and now my resident WA CPL is about to expire.

In the renewal notice (mailed to my Oregon address) it states "Please visit the local law enforcement agency where you reside to renew your CPL." Since I no longer live in Washington I don't have a local law enforcement agency.

So my question is two fold:

For my fellow WA CPL holders that moved out of state, how did you renew?

Another idea is to let my WA CPL expire and instead obtain my non-resident Utah permit.

What are your thoughts?

Another idea is to let my WA CPL expire and instead obtain my non-resident Utah permit.

What are your thoughts?

My thought (and what I did) is to get both. I subscribe to the theory that having the WA permit gets around the 1990 federal "gun free school zones" infringement, which doesn't apply if your carry is "licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located".

As I live in Portland and often cross into WA I like having the actual WA permit, for that reason and also just not having to potentially educate a WA trooper about reciprocity.

Your mileage will vary and a UT permit would of course be fine if you're further from the border and/or you're not as paranoid about the - AFAIK untested in court - school zones thing.

Hey UnionMills I have a similar story. I have a WA CPL and am now living on the OR coast. The WA permit expires early in 2020 but I will not renew mine. No reason at all to go back up to WA anymore. Still debating whether or not to get an OR CPL. Jury is still out on that decision.

Hey Folks,

I lived in Washington for the past five years and recently moved back to my home state of Oregon. I just updated my Oregon CHL and now my resident WA CPL is about to expire.

In the renewal notice (mailed to my Oregon address) it states "Please visit the local law enforcement agency where you reside to renew your CPL." Since I no longer live in Washington I don't have a local law enforcement agency.

What are your thoughts?

For the price, I'd get Utah/Arizona.

Hey Folks,

What are your thoughts?

I'm a Washington resident with WA, OR, AZ and UT permits. If it's not too much of a financial burden, I'd recommend keeping your WA license. Reciprocity rules are always changing, so it's good to have a backup. It would also make things smoother with an uniformed LEO during a traffic stop.

Get the Utah! A little different experience with me, I lived in Oregon and moved to Washington and was forced to get my WA chl to renew my OR chl since I now moved out of OR. When looking at Utah and Washington, you have to renew your WA every 4 years for about 50$ and your Utah every 5 years for 15$ or something similar to those numbers. On top of that, Utah is awesome and when I moved from Oregon to Washington, instead of having to go through a long waiting process to get an updated license, Utah just said put some tape on the back and write my updated addresses instead of paying 10$ for a brand new license, ei

I've never been a permanent resident of Washington state, but I have had a WA CPL for a while. I originally obtained it because I was so close to the border I could, quite literally, see the Evergreen state from my front window. I called and asked how I could obtain a license and was told apply at the county closest to you. I did and it was granted. When I moved to eastern Oregon, I was farther away, but did do trips for business and pleasure on the other side of the Columbia, called around, and was told to apply for a modified license, again, at the nearest county. I did and it was accepted. So maybe that is what you need to do.

All that said, particularly if you travel a lot, a Utah license may be the best route. Good luck. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top