JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got off the phone with WA Cease Fire and they told me that they would not oppose a bill to allow use of registered silencers in WA.

I found out a few weeks ago that the WASPC and WACOPS (policemen's organizations) will take a neutral stance on a silencer use bill also. I have yet to receive letters from them making it official though. When I get them, I will post copies online so that anyone wanting them to show to their Rep can use them.

These letters will be the best thing that has happened so far in the fight to allow silencer use in WA. Rep Pedersen wanted the opinions of WACOPS and WASPC, and WA CF says they have Senator Kline's ear. With these organizations claiming they are not opposed to silencer use, there should be no reason for the anti-gun Dems to oppose it either out of any fear that it would be used against them in the next (2012) election.

Couple that with the fact that bill 1604 was the only measure in the House that would have done anything to make noise reduction at a rifle range legal; this should help us a lot.

I suggested to some that bill 1604 (when submitted with a new number) be modified to allow the use of any device that is not attached to the gun. Because even if a silencer use bill passes into law, use of tires, boxes or other enclosures to reduce the noise at a rifle range will still be illegal at the state level because these devices are not registered by the federal government.

One person who is working with me is opposed to combining words for registered silencer use with words allowing other devices that are not attached to the gun. I thought it would re-enforce the notion that silencers are useful to reduce rifle range noise while the other guy thought it would needlessly complicate the bill and make it less likely to pass.

What do you guys think? We need a united front and I will go with the flow on this. Thanks.

Randy Bragge

Nice work Randy!

I think combining language is probably not a good idea. One victory at a time. I realize it could be useful to help with the problems at the Kitsap Range, but has anyone suggested that they would attempt to prosecute the range for reducing noise pollution? If that's the case, every indoor range in WA that has an airlock is also running afoul of RCW 9.41.250(1)(c) because an airlock is a 'contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm'. It's written so broadly that earplugs probably qualify too. :confused:

BTW, I noticed there is a Facebook page. You should post the link here if it's official.

I realize it could be useful to help with the problems at the Kitsap Range, but has anyone suggested that they would attempt to prosecute the range for reducing noise pollution?
I got an e-mail from the Kitsap County Prosecuting Attorney, Russ Hauge, telling me that use of the box I made from three foam filled steel doors that enclosed (but did not touch) the rifle barrel would be illegal to use. I got this e-mail after I requested his personal opinion on registered silencer use in WA; he said he was supportive of it, then followed up with my box question. He is also the person who filed the lawsuit against the KRRC over alleged zoning, safety and noise problems.

Hauge also said that it was unlikely that the county would attempt to prosecute me, but that is not enough. I needed a statement from him that it was legal to use. I am trying to get Senator Sheldon to ask the WA AG for an official opinion. I would greatly appreciate it if some other people would ask their local Senators to ask the AG for an opinion also. Sheldon has never answered any of my letters regarding gun control. I need to ask an legislator because law enforcement in WA does not give opinions to us mere residents, you have to be someone important. It says this on their web pages. :)

My first attempt at contacting WA CF as via their Facebook page, I have several posts on their discussion page defending the use of silencers in WA. When I get their letter detailing their neutral stance, I will post about it there and thank them for their time.

Does anyone know how to get a hold of Pink pistols? They do not answer my e-mails. I figured a group that had a “bash this” icon of a gun pointing at the viewer would be into anything relaxing restrictions on firearms use in WA. But maybe not, I need to find out.

Ranb

Good luck feeding this plan to the granola eating public.

Mr. Brown. I do not need luck. I need all of us to be vocal proponents of this issue. I have given up for the most part trying to feed it to the WA public (gun owners included) and am concentrating on the legislators. I am tired of being called a criminal for expressing my opinions on silencers and I get that crap less from the legislators. If someone is not actively supporting the right to suppress firearm noise, they are in fact against it. How does that taste? Going to lend a hand?

If you are already doing so, please let me know what you are doing as I am always open to new ideas. I am still a new and not very effective lobbyist Thanks.

Ranb

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads