JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, I know I can't carry with a CCW on public school grounds. Is it the same on a private, Catholic school? My "assumption" is that it follows the same laws - no carrying on any school grounds, but I haven't found the specific ruling.

I'll be volunteering at a Catholic church and school and for now, won't carry...but I'd like to know the laws.

thank you,
Michael J.

I rented property on a private schools grounds. My understanding there was if you were in a building that's primary purpose was school centered you couldn't carry. even though I was on school grounds since my buildings primary purpose wasn't tied to the school I was OK. So my assumption is in your case if you're in the school proper it's probably a no go

I am trying to find specifically where it states what you can and can't do. Give this thread a few more minutes and someone will post the specific RCW. Good folks on here! :s0069:

I essence, the RCW states that you cannot CCW on Public school property for school functions. (ie: football games, assemblies where your child might get an award, parent teacher conferences, etc.). BUT, you can CCW if you are going to be there temporarily. (ie: to pick up your child, or drop them off, etc.).

I am assuming that the Catholic school is considered a private school? You'd have to check their rules and regs. If nothing is said, don't ruffle any feathers and start asking questions. ;)

Concealed is CONCEALED!

I am NOT advocating breaking any laws. You do what you feel, and what you are comfortable with.

I know what I would do. Your mileage may vary. Now signing off... good night.

I wouldn't chance it unless you get some sort of legal answer and not an opinion on a forum.

Do you really want to possibly loose your firearm rights over someone's interpreted meaning of the law?

RCW 9.41.280

Yup, I reread that before I left...locked my baby in the car :(

thanks all!
Michael J.

RCW 9.41.280:
(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools" (3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
(a) Any firearm;
(b) Any other dangerous weapon as defined in RCW 9.41.250;
(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
(e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is
Exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;
(f) Any nonstudent at least eighteen years of age legally in possession of a firearm or dangerous weapon
that is secured within an attended vehicle or concealed from view within a locked unattended vehicle
while conducting legitimate business at the school;
(g) Any nonstudent at least eighteen years of age who is in lawful possession of an unloaded firearm, secured in a vehicle while conducting legitimate business at the school; or...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top