JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

WA schools are basically "gun free", as described in RCW 9.41.280, but subsection 3(e) allows CPL holders (or those exempt under 9.41.060) to carry a pistol at schools "while dropping off of picking up a student".

My question: Have there been court cases where the boundaries of dropping off and picking up have been established? I can imagine some every day scenarios:
- Go to pick up child and teacher wants to talk to you. You're still in the process of picking up your child, but the activity got a little bigger. OK or not?
- Drop of your kid, but as a good citizen you help that semi-hot soccer mom with the flat tire on the parking lot. OK or not?
- You go to some school event with your child (!!), so you bring the student and pick him/her up again too, but you're just there all the time too. OK or not?
- After hours parent/teacher meeting without your kid. OK or not? I guess not.

If there are any previous cases that define this a bit better, I'd be interested in reading this.

Hi all,

WA schools are basically "gun free", as described in RCW 9.41.280, but subsection 3(e) allows CPL holders (or those exempt under 9.41.060) to carry a pistol at schools "while dropping off of picking up a student".

My question: Have there been court cases where the boundaries of dropping off and picking up have been established? I can imagine some every day scenarios:
- Go to pick up child and teacher wants to talk to you. You're still in the process of picking up your child, but the activity got a little bigger. OK or not?
- Drop of your kid, but as a good citizen you help that semi-hot soccer mom with the flat tire on the parking lot. OK or not?
- You go to some school event with your child (!!), so you bring the student and pick him/her up again too, but you're just there all the time too. OK or not?
- After hours parent/teacher meeting without your kid. OK or not? I guess not.

If there are any previous cases that define this a bit better, I'd be interested in reading this.

I can only assume that when you are talking to the teachers in the above scenarios you would want to go into the school building; if so this part of the RCW you referenced should answer your question. It was all the way at the bottom.

(6) Except as provided in subsection (3)(b), (c), (f), and (h) of this section, firearms are not permitted in a public or private school building.

WA basically disallows carry on campus except in VERY limited circumstances.

I know I've taught a lot of teachers and administrators in CCW techniques and defensive pistol, and they've pretty much all told me that it's the Teachers' Union and the universal LIBERAL mindset of senior administrators that makes it impossible to get past this, even though theoretically, a SD superintendent could give permission for teachers to carry.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top