JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Representative Finn wrote back to the Attorney General after being refused an opinion on RCW 9.41.250(c) a while back. The AG said he would issue an informal opinion. What this means I do not know yet.

Hopefully the AG will allow the use of various devices that reduce gun noise. It would be great if he allowed the use of silencers, but I'm sure this will not happen.

Ranb

Ranb,
arrgh, 'informal opinion'... well hopefully at least this would have the AG 'informally' opining that the use of external sound absorption boxes at ranges be allowed. Then, still assuming that the AG would put that to paper, the legislature might act on at least that much. Still can't get my head around why external noise abatement devices aren't allowed:huh:, not to mention attached silencers or suppressors. But there's a lot in the world I don't understand... heck they build walls & baffles along freeways to absorb/diffuse noise... I dunno the legalese behind 'informal opinion(s)' but reckon maybe the AG doesn't issue 'formal' opinions unless specifically asked by the legislature or Governor? Gold star to you for your ongoing hard work!

You've yet to convince me, why I SHOULD EVEN CARE, LET ALONE USE SPELL CHECK!
oabtw
IF YOUR PUSHING WA STATE LAWS
WHATS YOUR ADDY? Whats your street address?
Whats your PH # then?
Come Clean

oabtw
Whats your PH # then?
Come Clean

Kenno- who are you talking to? Your post looks the ramblings of an ex drug addict, no offense to drug addicts.

To the OP- keep up the good work.

SF-

Ranb,
I dunno the legalese behind 'informal opinion(s)' but reckon maybe the AG doesn't issue 'formal' opinions unless specifically asked by the legislature or Governor?

issues "informal opinions" even when asked by legislators. That's what happened when Seattle tried to outlaw concealed carry in city parks/property. The court then used that "policy" when it told Seattle to remove the signs and repeal the law. (which I think has been appealed.)

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

oabtw
Whats your PH # then?
Come Clean

Convince you of what? I am not pusing state laws, but I do obey them. I am trying to amend the law that bans silencer use. I am also trying it find a way to allow the use of devices that reduce the noise from rifle ranges. The same law that bans silencer use bans anything that suppresses gun noise even if it is not attached to the gun.

You may call me at (360)440-5889, but only if you want to help. It is a pre-paid cell, so I do not want to waste time talking about things we can discuss here. We can meet in Seattle if you want to talk about it.

I have bared my friggin soul on this board, what else do you need?

Randy Bragge

Representative Finn wrote back to the Attorney General after being refused an opinion on RCW 9.41.250(c) a while back. The AG said he would issue an informal opinion. What this means I do not know yet.

Hopefully the AG will allow the use of various devices that reduce gun noise. It would be great if he allowed the use of silencers, but I'm sure this will not happen.

Ranb

Thank you for the post.

Senator Sheldon called me today. I wrote to him after the AG refused Finn's first request for an opinion. Sheldon said he would talk to Finn about the request. He said that an informal opinion is worth something. Whether or not the AG's opinion will allow the use of devices not attached to the gun and protect the shooter from being arrested remains to be seen.

Ranb

Look up the names of your Reps and Senator. Their links are at Access Washington - Welcome to the State of Washington . Look for the link to the legislature and find the links to the House and Senate from there. See if they are on the list of the bill 1016 sponsors. Write letters (not email) to your own Representatives and Senator. Ask that they push for a hearing for bill 1016. Write to Senator Kline and request that he give bill 1016 a hearing if it passes the House and goes to the Senate. You can look up their phone numbers and call them also. You will most likely end up talking to an aide, but this can help make a good impression and lead to them answering your letters or help get a meeting scheduled.

If any of these people do not say they will support the bill, ask them why and keep asking until they give you a solid answer. Both of my Reps were rather lacking in their support of the bill until I met face to face with them. Now both of them are bill 1016 sponsors. The first time I met with a Representative, I was rather nervous, but I had a fellow gun owner along with and we discussed our strategy beforehand. It turns out that these guys are just regular joes and need to keep their jobs by pleasing WA residents. If you want someone to go with to a meeting, let me know and I may able to go with you.

I have found that writing a letter and sending it to their Olympia or district address in a legal sized envelope is the best way to get their attention. Include all of your contact info including e-mail and phone number. If they respond by e-mail, then they are likely to keep responding to any e-mails you send back to them if you reference their message in your reply.

Even if they try to blow smoke, sit on the fence, or tell you things that are obviously wrong or in conflict with your values, the best thing to do it keep an even temper and show them evidence to support your position.

For example, when Senator Kline tried to tell me that making silencers legal for commerce (they already are) would result in them finding their way into the criminal underworld, I sent him information on federal penalties associated with silencer misuse as well as data I collected from the state's sheriffs that directly contradicted what he said.

When telling them why you feel silencers should be legal to use, emphasize that they reduce noise without making the firearm silent. If you are asked why you want to use silencers, you can tell them that they are just as useful on a gun as they are on a car. Ask them to imagine driving a car without a muffler; then they will know how bystanders feel when listening to gunfire without ear plugs on. Silencers need to be promoted as a safety device, not just a cool accessory.

It is very unlikely that your Reps have ever heard of any silencer crime in the state. If they are able to provide an example, then it was probably associated with an illegal unregistered silencer. Bill 1016 only allows use of legally owned silencers registered with the federal government. It is unlikely to affect crime in WA at all.

I have crime data and the positions of police organizations like WACOPS and WASPC posted on this forum. Print them out and have them ready if asked what the police think about silencer use. You can bring up the fact that various counties have sued rifle ranges over noise, but state law makes it a crime to use any kind of device to lower the noise level of gunfire. Ask your Rep if they think this is fair to anyone, shooters and non-shooters. PM me if you have any questions. I'm happy to help.

Ranb

You might want to ask Rodne if he thinks Pedersen will give the bill a hearing. If he is uncertain, ask what it will take to do so. Pedersen wanted supportive or neutral positions from the WASPC and WACOPS, he has them now as well as a neutral position from Cease Fire Washington. All he is lacking is assurance that the bill will pass the full House on a vote. We are still working on that. :)

Ranb

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads