Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

WA 2015 legislative wish list

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by 8ball, Apr 13, 2014.

1. 8ball

8ball WA Quit talkin' and start chalking!

I'll start:

NFA: SBS and full-auto (unlikely, I know)

Dept of Revenue: Reverse the 2011 special notices that requires FFLs to collect sales taxes on firearm transfers.

This would also remove the inequitable taxes on firearms received as gifts, which is not applied to other gifts such as cars older than seven years, or items on which taxes were previously paid (see http://dor.wa.gov/content/QuestionsAndAnswers/Article.aspx?id=10250)

Anyone else? Realistic proposals only please!

2. mancat

mancat Kitsap County Well-Known Member

Constitutional carry
    Eliminate state pistol registry
    Defeat I-594

Stomper, BigStick, WilliamIV and 3 others like this.
  3. LoneStar

LoneStar WA Active Member

^ All of the above
    Get rid of the cpl requirement when driving a vehicle.
    Allow guns in bars.
    Allow guns on college campuses.

4. BigStick

BigStick Sherwood, OR Well-Known Member

Guns are allowed on college campuses right now. We should allow them on the rest of the school grounds also though.

The way I read RCW, secondary schools (which are prohibited) is highschool. Colleges are ok. If that is not correct, someone please show me the proper definitions so I stop breaking the law.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.280
    (1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools:
    (a) Any firearm;

5. GunnyG

GunnyG The Highlands Active Member

It is a WAC administrative code, not an RCW, and there is a specific WAC for each campus: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx and within each of those is a student conduct code or similar paragraph which can prohibit student possession of firearms on campus.

A student might get himself expelled under those codes, but it wouldn't be a criminal conviction

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  6. BigStick

BigStick Sherwood, OR Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. I understood that students could be prohibited (with potential school punishments for violating) that just doesn't apply to me anymore. I will carry on undetered.

7. 8ball

I forgot one - repeal the WA alien firearms law so I can take visitors shooting legally on my own range.

8. Diamondback

Diamondback A cold, wet green Hell Well-Known Member

8ball, re AFL:
    http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faalienfaq.html

So the question becomes "what defines an acceptable 'shooting event'"? My gal's from Canada and I have a good friend from Germany, and they both want me to teach them to shoot someday, so... maybe organize a shoot with some of your buddies and just have it be "oh, I invited a friend from out of town to join us"?

I have a query out to them re this, and will follow-up if I get a reply.

8ball likes this.
  9. 8ball

Good questions. My visitors are usually work colleagues from Europe or Asia here on business for a few days.

At West Coast Armory they will do a special 'International challenge' shooting event for an extra fee, but only on weekdays and only with their guns. I'd just like to expose my work colleagues to the American RKBA on my own terms. There is a huge tourist range business in gun unfriendly states like California and Hawaii so I don't see why WA is so uptight. I'm not suggesting they should be able to buy firearms etc.

I suspect many people in WA are breaking this law without knowing it.

10. Diamondback

Yeah... I tried to get into one of those ranges to maintain proficiency when the rels dragged me over to Hawaii for a month in '04, and it was like "if you can't read Japanese don't bother."

Sadly, geography is one of the big issues... my gal's proud to be a Canuck and likes most of the life she has in Toronto, and I'm committed to a life mostly on this side of the border (and it is my intent to spend my sunset years and be interred in Texas), and we're both stuck with aging parents to care for, so... :(

And while we're wishing, becoming a Universal Permit Recognition state would be nice too--get a lot more states to honor our permits that way.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  11. Diamondback

So, here's what I got in reply:
    Typical bureaucratic non-answer... What I would say this means is make sure you give your friends WRITTEN invitation, and ask your lawyer, 'cuz when it comes to guidance and interpretation the bureaucrats are, as one old medical text I read described the male teat, "neither useful nor ornamental."

8ball likes this.