JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I got my new VZ operators in the mail today. I put them on my Colt 1991 compact, and on the right side they fit great (and look great). On the left side, though, they did not fit so well. They were a tight fit, but I put them on, and my slide would not rack back. This is not the first time that I have had problems with the fit of grips on a 1911. I mean really, is it so hard to make something that will fit right out of the package? Grips really should fit for $73. I am half tempted to give up altogether on this 1911 thing and go back to all plastic guns!! :huh:

Rant off.

As they say nothing with 1911's is drop in!!! 1911's are not AR's, but curious where it's dragging. Is it pushing on the thumb safety causing that to ride up a little??

Should be an easy fix- I had a similiar problem. The top of the grip would just barely touch the thumb safety pushing it up a tad (different grips). A 1911 is not a Glock. Unfortunately spec differences, parts made by multiple companies/specs, different style/profile thumb safeties.

Ok, I figured out the issue. I don't have time to write it up right now, since I am late for a very important date. That's right, I have to go ask Alice. I took some pics and I will post them with my findings later......... Now, through the looking glass.....

Ok, I figured out the issue. I don't have time to write it up right now, since I am late for a very important date. That's right, I have to go ask Alice. I took some pics and I will post them with my findings later......... Now, through the looking glass.....

When she's ten feet tall?

Oh, sorry...lost my head in the 60's.

I have a set of VZ Elite Tactical Carry on my CBOB and when I first installed them the left side went on with a snap, literal snap. The top of the grip was machined so tight that it actually snapped into place. But I never did what your describing.

Will

Ok, here we go. There were a couple of issues with these grips. The first is that on the left side grip, the holes for the bushings must be a little off, as you can see in these pics. The grip will go on the bottom or top bushing but not fit on to both. Also, please disregard the lack of parkerization on the frame (aka idiot scratch), as that is a custom touch added by a previous owner.

I was able to basically force the grips into the frame by securing the bottom screw, and then using the upper screw to tighten the grip on fully. In this next set of pics, most of you will be able to spot the problem immediately.

Still don't see it? Well, it's that darn Wilson Combat extended slide release getting in the way. The grip forces it up into the slide, causing it to bind and not allow it back into battery. The problem is, I am a lefty, and I want this to be a carry gun. Therefore, I really like the extended release that I can actually get to with my index finger. Honestly, I really don't care as much what the gun looks like as I do about having it set up how I want it, and functionally to boot. As I see it, my options are to go back to stock slide release, file the grips a bit to remove enough material for proper operation, just sell the grips and keep the good old rubber Colt grips on it, or buy a Glock and screw the 1991 altogether. It's good to have options, but why can't anything just ever be easy???? :confused:

Thanks to all who listened to my rant and offered advice.

1) as mentioned above, I have no idea but the grip fit may be a clue- check to see if these are even supposed to fit officers size.

2) Just lightly sand the top edge, it will take alot less time than this "cleaning" did:
CIMG1084.jpg
CIMG1083.jpg
CIMG1082.jpg

Option 3- find an extended release with a different profile, or file/sand down the release.

I find quite often that after-market grips can cause problems with after-market parts. As the grip makers would have to make so many variations to accept all the different after-market parts available.

I would make the same suggestion that krawl did...that being, modify the top edge of the grip panel to accommodate the extended slide stop.

Its done all the time, so don't think you're the first that been faced with such a problem.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top