JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So a friend gave me this because he didnt want it at his house around the grand kid. He told me that his uncle gave it to him and it was from the "war". Not sure what one but it had a barrel insert, bolt and mags to step it down from 7 or 8mm to 22.

I cannot find anything on it and would like to learn more about its story. I will post what pics I have now and if anyone is interested I can post more. I kinda feel like it is missing something from the top like another piece of wood or something.

I have a random box of parts that goes with it as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

15503482163617679080070176924838.jpg 15503483240659173925349216498600.jpg 15503483837224262174658009835058.jpg

The vz. 24 rifle is a bolt-action carbine designed and produced in Czechoslovakia from 1924 to 1942. It was developed from the German Mauser Gewehr 98 line, and features a very similar bolt design. The rifle was designed in Czechoslovakia shortly after World War I, to replace the Vz. 98/22, also a Czech-designed derivative of the Gewehr 98. The vz. 24 featured a 590 mm (23.2 in) barrel which was shorter and considered more handy than the 160 mm (6.3 in)-longer Gewehr 98 barrel. The vz. 24 was chambered in 7.92×57mm Mauser like its predecessors.

That rifle has been sporterized. It originally looked like this (web photo):

22665495_5.jpg
The .22 conversion kit was originally made by Erma. A complete kit is worth even more than the rifle Rock Island Auction: Erma K98 22 LR Conversion Kit in Wooden Case

(web photo)
IMG_4972.jpg

Right on thanks for the info. Looks like I may be missing a part of it but most of it is there. Do you know of anyone local that would look it over?

Or do you know where I can get a build sheet or diagram to swap out the 22 insert?

Well, that's cool. See something new every day. Not the rifle (which is still cool), but the conversion kit. It is awesome! I've seen lots of different versions, but haven't seen the erma version.

As for the rifle, it looks like a nice clean lion crest VZ. Someone has chopped up the stock, replaced the front sight (and probably chopped the barrel), drilled and tapped the right side of the rear ring for a redfield peep sight, and bent the bolt handle. Looks like a great rifle! I've owned a few like that myself!

That's pretty amazing you can tell all that from the picture. I dont know anything other that what wikipedia had to say about it.

A friend told me to drop a round in it to find out what cal\mm it is because I hear they were in 7 and 8 mm. Anyone else know how to tell or what it may be?

Thought it may have been some odd model didnt realize that this was modified...

I appreciate the info guys thanks

If it has the Czech rampant lion crest

pix612924141.jpg

it should be chambered in 8mm Mauser (7.92x57mm).

It has been heavily sporterized so unfortunately the collector value is lost.

EDIT: I didn't realize the conversion kit isn't installed. You don't need anything else to shoot the rifle assuming it is 8mm Mauser. You could sell the conversion kit separately. It isn't a firearm so no FFL is required. It doesn't have the case so you won't get maximum value for it but it is still worth several hundred dollars.

The loose parts include the original rear sight.

Last Edited:
Cool stuff. I wish I had friends that would just give me guns, lol. The only gun I had given to me was a Rohm in 22lr. It was my Grandfathers snake gun when he would go fishing back in the old days so it has sentimental value, but it's still a POS.

If your not comfortable tinkering with the gun I'd recommend taking it to a gun smith. Preferably one with experience with old surplus guns.

Yes. I plan on giving it back to the family once I've had a Smith look it over. The family has a 6yr old and I think it would be a great family moments. I'm just hoping I have all the pieces of the 22 conversion kit

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top