JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Based on the data, it can safely be estimated that 4.1 percent, or one-in-25 criminal defendants, sentenced to die in the U.S. are innocent. In fact, that's probably low-balling the actual number of erroneous sentences.

That's not a statistic that will improve by expediting the process.

I'm a holy man, and the Bible says and 'eye for an eye.'

I'd say that in cases of mass or horrific murders (to be defined later, but including several innocents, torture, mutilation, suffering, rape + murder, etc.), premeditated murders requiring planning, and terrorism resulting in murder, where there is no doubt of guilt (lots of credible witnesses with no doubt about identity, video evidence that is forensically verifiable, caught "red handed in the act" type evidence, ample uncontrovertible DNA evidence that is not planted or faked, and other totally reliable evidence), etc. with unanimous verdict on guilty and death sentence, then the appeals should be limited and tailored and if no due process or evidentiary errors, then death should be swift and public.

Further, in addition to public it should be by hangings. It's brutal enough to burn in people's minds without being grotesque like a beheading. It's also not painless, like an injection. Hangings are not in violation of the 8th Amendment against "cruel and unusual" given they have been around for centuries as a common public form of punishment by execution.

The death penalty SHOULD be a deterrent, and when people know you'll be hanged within a few months, it would be a deterrent.

I also see it as a major costs savings from long-term incarceration where death is sentenced. Get it over with. No reason to house these monsters for 15 years before death imposed, with endless esoteric appeals that go nowhere but tie up legit court cases...

My proposal gives clear public notice of the penalties for XYZ crimes, with public executions. It protects fully the rights of an accused via the 4th, 5th, and 6th with all due process in place, and protects their 8th Amendment rights. People are on notice that if you do XYZ you will be tried, rights protected, and if convicted you will be swiftly hanged publically.

Last Edited:
Based on the data, it can safely be estimated that 4.1 percent, or one-in-25 criminal defendants, sentenced to die in the U.S. are innocent. In fact, that's probably low-balling the actual number of erroneous sentences.

I see absolutely nothing wrong expediting these "hand in the cookie jar" m'er f'ers, there is no doubt to theIr guilt. Eliminate the red tape and hang them publicly.

Last Edited:

Please provide a link to the data.

P

The leftists are up in arms about this because it came from Pence. If Pelousy had proposed the excact same, thing then ok, fine.

He_s_Right.png

But, there are many other reasons besides the RIGHT vs LEFT rift for disagreement on the subject of the Death Penalty.

"On the other hand, when it is proven beyond the shadow of a doubt..."

Serious.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Not that I buy into your claim, but letting them rot in prison until they reach old age, and then be executed improves the statistic how?

"We use survival analysis to model this effect, and estimate that if all death-sentenced defendants remained under sentence of death indefinitely, at least 4.1% would be exonerated."

Estimate. Not safely be estimated.

Come to think of it, safely estimated doesn't make a lot of sense.

I read their methodology. It's complex but understandable. They make a lot of assumptions, which is realistic, but the assumptions by definition throw a range of uncertainty into the calculations. It's certainly not definitive.

Our system is set up so that it is more likely for a guilty person to go free than for an innocent person to be convicted. More likely, which is not a certainty. I wonder what percent of acquittals are in error. Let's ask O.J.

I'm certain that some innocent people are on death row, but that fact does not affect my support of capital punishment.

P

Not that I buy into your claim, but letting them rot in prison until they reach old age, and then be executed improves the statistic how?
The only difference in this respect between a death sentence and life is that with a life sentence is no risk of a prisoner being found innocent after they have been executed.

And a federal capital punishment law will have what effect on non-federal jurisdiction crimes such as all or almost all of these mass shootings? None, if you were still pondering.

Its proven that the death penalty doesn't provide measurable deterrence. But, it makes more sense than most other .gov programs, so I'm good with it.

Given the state of our legal system, deterrence isn't as important as revolving door recidivism... major problem solved right there.

Aggravated murder, rape, and kidnapping "were" all capital crimes. The death penalty isn't really about "deterrence"...it's about justice.

Eye for an eye, and tooth for a tooth isn't good enough for me. Eyes for an eye, and teeth for a tooth.... that's my motto! ;)

I say make them quadriplegic and put them on display. They want fame? There it is. Make them a freak exhibition to be stared at, spat on or whatever. They'll never be able to do anything for themselves and they will live a long time knowing they weren't heroes, just contemptible wretched failures.
Cruel and unusual I know, but so are these mass killers.

Given the state of our legal system, deterrence isn't as important as revolving door recidivism... major problem solved right there.

Aggravated murder, rape, and kidnapping "were" all capital crimes. The death penalty isn't really about "deterrence"...it's about justice.

Eye for an eye, and tooth for a tooth isn't good enough for me. Eyes for an eye, and teeth for a tooth.... that's my motto! ;)

Ye, put a wood chipper at the end of that revolving door and you'll see a major plummet in violent crime, not because it's a deterrent but because the offenders are fertilizer, thus not offending.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top