Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

VOTE ON FITNESS SUBSECTION!

Discussion in 'Questions, Problems, & Feedback' started by Ben Beckerich, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

has there been any discussion about adding a health/fitness section?

ETA: since our good man Joey's put it to the vote, figured i'd better advertise it as such! scroll down and add your name to the petition, if you'd like to see a Health/Fitness type section added.

jayleno and (deleted member) like this.
  2. wayoutwest

wayoutwest Polk County, Oregon Active Member

3. Ben Beckerich

4377531687_391f325972.jpg

4. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I've thought about it, but to be honest there are many more topics which are actually firearm-related which we don't have room for on the main forum page. I do think health and fitness fit well with preparedness and survival, and threads on the subject could always go in off-topic ;)

5. Ben Beckerich

perhaps it's time for sub-forums? i know nothing about programming these things, but i know some boards have sub-forums... click here and you get another list. so under "preparedness- mental/physical/material," you get a list of 3 or 4 sub-forums pertaining to the different topics related to preparedness, and then threads within those.

being fit is gonna be HUGE in any kind of prolonged or sustained SHTFS, and is really important in general- and based on some member pics i've seen, some people on this board aren't gonna live to see SHTF. :ears:

6. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Really I'd like to have a wee bit more fat to consume if food gets hard to come by. A fat guy will also out survive a skinny guy in cold/cold water and if shot in the gut.

just saying.

7. Ben Beckerich

nobody's saying you need or should be "skinny," just capable of sustaining a 10-minute mile, at least. and for more than a half mile.

personally, i'd rather have a competitive advantage. be able to climb the counter to get to the cookie jar, so to speak.

---

and aside from SHTF, which i don't actually think any of us are going to see any time soon (i know, call me crazy), it's good to be healthy. we've extended our average lifespan in this country, but we've traded a shorter life for an extended period of disability. twenty years ago, the average american spent the last 1-2 years in a state of discomfort/limited capacity.... now we spend the last 10 years of our life in pain and debilitated.

8. bush pilot

bush pilot On the edge Member

Who cares - we all almost dead - LOL

9. Ben Beckerich

so this still potentially up for debate, or just a flat "no?"

we've all seen the picture threads... a fitness section might actually help change peoples' lives, as gay as that sounds. seeing inspirational stories from others, having an easy reference "at home" so to speak, seeing threads with serious discussion about REAL implications about fitness and the lack... etc.

i think it might inspire some guys to get a gym membership and start "preparing" in more ways than just how to stay FTU.

10. Abunai

Abunai Puget Sound Area Member

I like the idea. Many of us spend a lot time and bucks on preparing for the worst - guns, ammo, firearms training, etc. But being fit could very well be the most important piece of preparedness.

I'm always shocked - and a little sad - when I see a fat slob at the gun show picked out the next piece of hardware so he can be 'prepared'. Unfortunately, he'll probably starve if Mickey D's doesn't open up on schedule. . .

I used to be the fat slob, and then got fit ten years ago. It was hard to do and I could have used better information.

11. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

If we can get 25 members on-board I'd be willing to add a fitness sub-section to the prepardness forum :thumbup:

I'm in.

1. Joey Link

12. Ben Beckerich

1. Joey Link
    2. bkb0000

13. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

3. Lowly monk.

14. Ben Beckerich

just thought i'd give this ONE bump with the new thread title... :D

15. Joe Link

:thumbup:

16. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

4. Rosey O'Donald..... :paranoid:

17. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

To offset your fitness forum, I'd like to request a forum to discuss television shows, movies, and the snacks you consume while watching them.

18. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

We could practise (Gun Fu).

19. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

All police departments

20. Ben Beckerich

1. Joey Link
    2. bkb0000
    3. Lowly monk.
    4. Rosey O'Donald