JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have several LaRue mounts and they are very good. That being said ( and not trying to rain on your parade) I think the American Defense mounts are better. I like the way the ADM attaches to the rail better.

@Lance Jacobs
No clue what was happening. I see several posts by members I did not see previously. I updated my browser, and it appears to be fixed now.

At any rate, thanks for your posts. As with everyone that chimed in.

Bobro and adm would be my top two choices.
Bobro would be my first. Rock solid and does not mess up your rails.

Yes, but how much do those mounts weigh? The beauty of my Aero Precision mounts is not just that they are just so well made, but that the mount only weighs 3 1/4 oz!

Such a contrast to my Burris PEPR mount I replaced, which weighed a whopping 8 3/4 oz!!! That is over half a pound!

I would never consider switching to something else, if I had to go back to using such a heavy mount.

Got a presentation pic, Lance?
The only thing I don't like, no QD. Then again, that would add more weight.
I expected Aero to release a QD mount long ago!

Got a presentation pic, Lance?
The only thing I don't like, no QD. Then again, that would add more weight.
I expected Aero to release a QD mount long ago!

Well, I've been trying to trim fat where I can, as I don't like my rifles getting real heavy. Both of my AR's have mutated over several years to their current state. I've done little things here and there over the years to modify them. So they have sort of slowly evolved over time to their current configurations.

I don't have any pics handy since I installed the Aero Precision mounts. But it is easy to find plenty of pics of the Aero Precision mounts online. They have 3 configurations: standard, extended, and SPR. I use the extended model.

This pic below is an extended mated with a Leupold VX-R scope, if you want to see what the setup on my 308 AR looks like.

AP%2BExtended%2BMount.jpg
Here are a few more extendeds:

image.jpg

APUltralightExtendedScopeMount-20141127_111714_zpsb4b5a41c.jpg

pooqEec.jpg

Here are some SPR model examples:

APLink.jpg

2014-05-02170112.jpg

20150318_170343-1_zps7ud01dl2.jpg
And here is what the standard model looks like, mated with a Vortex:

photo1_zpsbfec6bb7.jpg

I received notice today from Vortex that the PST 1-4-24x are on back order with a 2-4 month wait. Not happening. The order was cancelled.

I ordered a Leupold VX R 2-7x33mm - Ballistic FireDot from Primary Arms.

To be honest, you could have looked at other sites that sell the same scope. Unless the discount from Vortex brought it down way under, it wouldn't have been too big of a difference.

Though Leupold is good too, so you didn't really lose anything out of it.

I received notice today from Vortex that the PST 1-4-24x are on back order with a 2-4 month wait. Not happening. The order was cancelled.

I ordered a Leupold VX R 2-7x33mm - Ballistic FireDot from Primary Arms.

I've been happy with this scope. Any scope is always going to be a trade-off in some respect. There are better scopes out there in the $1,000 - $2,000 price range. But then, that is 2 to 4 times the money, to get that extra performance.

To me, 2x is still very useable for close range, while 7x makes things easier at long range. And while the reticle is not anywhere near as elaborate as the Vortex TMCQ, I honestly don't know if I would want such a big complex reticle in a combat situation. Although I admit that I have zero military experience myself, so that is simply just a guess on my part.

I would be surprised if the Vortex is out of stock everywhere. Unless everyone is currently stocking up on buying AR rifles, fearing a Hillary Presidency next year.

Perhaps Hillary will be as good for gun and accessories sales as Obama has been! :eek:

The purpose of the reticle in the Vortex PST 1-4 is ranging your target, though realistically 4x magnification isn't all that useful for that. It does make holdovers easier. Course the reticle measurements will only be accurate at 4x. Extra math if on any other magnification setting.

I was aware of the usage based on the two optics I questioned, so there was no need to ask, really. The mount I'm seeking is cantilever (20 MOA)with QD to offset the mount position forward for the added BU sight underneath.

I have a Colt cantilever offset mount now. My cons with that is there is only one screw per ring-side (four total) and it's not QD. I'm looking into my options.
I have the PEPR mount for my Viper 6.5-20x50 on a Bushmaster Varminter. Love the combination. The dead hold reticle is great. You won't be sorry with that scope.

I wanted to buy direct through Vortex With the military discount, I was going to be below my budget. Once I was told they were out of stock, there went my savings. All the other places I checked, the 1-4 PST was OOS, or went above my limit.

I've always wanted to buy Leupold. I never did in all my years of hunting. I always bought the cheaper stuff because they did the job. Today I said to myself, "just buy it". Even though it's above my budget, it's way past due that I own a nice Leupold. I think I'll be more than pleased with it.

Here's another topic found in the forum archives. Which optic would you put on a Colt 6920 AR15? (https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/which-optic-would-you-put-on-a-colt-6920-ar15.203505/)

Last Edited:
My scope arrived today, so I put it in the Colt mount. After getting everything leveled and tightened, I'm really liking this Leupold. The crispness and clarity of the glass is impressive. I'm really liking that firedot. I'm going to wait on the arrival of the LT104 and GG&G mounts, so I can see which one I like best. Ideally, I want my nose to the CH. I'm not there with the Colt mount. I expected that.

I recently bought the Vortex Viper PST, also because of the reticle. I have to buy another battery as I stole the original before even installing it. I had a real need for it in a meter.
I have put a Aero mount on it and it will stay on the rifle. I have a Leopold VX-R 1.5 x 5 Scout scope with a Firedot, I like it but wanted to try this other reticle and spend a couple hundred less. the Leopold has a beefy no name mount from Amazon, it is not as light but it works.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top