JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi everyone. I need some of your suggestive guidance if you will. I'm currently looking at rifle scopes made by Vortex Optics. I considered several other manufacturers, up until I heard of the former Armed Forces incentive program. So here I am wanting to choose the right "first" one. My range distance will be from 0-400yds.

Currently, I'm leaning towards the 1-4x24 PST in favor of the reticule.

I'm looking at one of these models.
Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24
Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24

Hi everyone. I need some of your suggestive guidance if you will. I'm currently looking at rifle scopes made by Vortex Optics. I considered several other manufacturers, up until I heard of the former Armed Forces incentive program. So here I am wanting to choose the right "first" one. My range distance will be from 0-400yds.

Currently, I'm leaning towards the 1-4x24 PST in favor of the reticule.

I'm looking at one of these models.
Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24
Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24

Another option that I like is Leupold's VX-R 2-7x33mm. Nice size and weight. Lighter than even the PST 1-4x

I got mine from B&H Photo for only $490 So it is in the same price range as the PST, but gives you greater magnification You have to add the scope to the cart in order to see the sale price. Although it is marked special order, they only took 3 days to ship mine.

The Leupold also has 1/4 MOA adjustments, compared to 1/2 MOA on the two Vortex scopes. Far easier to turn on and adjust the light level of the reticle too. Plus I don't like those exposed target turrets on the Vortex scopes. I've had varmint hunting scopes where I have accidentally knocked the knobs, and got the scope off zero. I don't like that possibly happening in a scope on a fighting rifle.

Here is the B&H web page:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1037967-REG/leupold_111233_vx_r_2_7x33_firedot_ballistic.html

And Leupold's product info page:

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-r-riflescopes/vx-r-2-7x33mm/

VXR_2-7x33_web.png

Probably more scope than you are looking for:

Viper HS-T 4-16x44
30MOA worth of adjustment on the reticle
Adjustments on turrets with zero stop

I put one on my Remington 700 SPS .308

Reticle here:
https://instagram.com/p/95K949oSQg/

Edit:
There was a lot that went into selecting this scope. Price was one factor and a sub $600 scope was my preference. I tried some lower value scopes by Vortex and their crosshairs were too large at 200y. The VMR-1 reticle hit the sweet spot with the precision to shoot .6MOA groups at 200y. The other lower prices ones covered almost 1MOA and at 800y that's a huge portion of a target missing. Then they have the Viper HS that's close to identical but the reticle has 15MOA bottom and half on windage but no external turrets and no zero stop (iirc).

Turned out about $100 more to get the HS-T ended up more than worth it if I was going to buy one scope for the life of this rifle.

Last Edited:
I've been eyeing other Vortex scopes. I think the one you mention may have been on my possibles list. For one of my bolt guns.

The 1-4 PST will fit my current need for the time being. Now I'm trying to resist picking up a 20MOA QD mount. They're all so damn expensive. I know, buy once, cry once. I'm about too!!
I been spending the morning on the internet looking at all my options. I don't necessarily need top of the line. Larue, Bobro, < upper end. For the price, American Defense (so far) has my attention. I was hoping for a Memorial Day sale.

Maybe I missed something but how do you guys give recommendations on optics without knowing usage?

Goes for mounts also, but how about the Burris PEPR? It's quick detach, 20 MOA and reasonably priced.

I was aware of the usage based on the two optics I questioned, so there was no need to ask, really. The mount I'm seeking is cantilever (20 MOA)with QD to offset the mount position forward for the added BU sight underneath.

I have a Colt cantilever offset mount now. My cons with that is there is only one screw per ring-side (four total) and it's not QD. I'm looking into my options.

Maybe I missed something but how do you guys give recommendations on optics without knowing usage?

Goes for mounts also, but how about the Burris PEPR? It's quick detach, 20 MOA and reasonably priced.
The Burris PEPR is okay for the money, I have two. That being said the OP asked between the two scopes, and glass>magnification.

I was aware of the usage based on the two optics I questioned, so there was no need to ask, really. The mount I'm seeking is cantilever (20 MOA)with QD to offset the mount position forward for the added BU sight underneath.

I have a Colt cantilever offset mount now. My cons with that is there is only one screw per ring-side (four total) and it's not QD. I'm looking into my options.
You look at the PEPR? The stuff I have to pay for gets that mount.

Well, he mentioned that he wanted something for 0 to 400 yards. Plus he listed two scopes that he was interested in.

So I sort of assumed that this was for an AR type rifle, and probably for self defense usage. Now if he was planning to do something else with the rifle, like go squirrel hunting for example, then yes, one would recommend a much different optic. But I am pretty confident that is not what he plans to use the rifle for.

They come with an extra set of tops without the rails.
That's a plus.

After checking all the usual places for used, nothing was found.
I took two stiff straight shots of whiskey, and placed my order for a Larue LT-104 SPR.

Impatiently waiting for delivery!! :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Fine cuisine is always on the menu. It just depends how many there are in the party, and who's buying!! I try not to splurge too often, especially now that there are two shooters to buy for. First the essentials. The good stuff always makes it's way, eventually.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top