JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all I am in the market for a scope for a semi long range 308 I am putting together. I am kinda leaning toward a vortex viper PST FfP in a 4-16 .I am not to familiar with vortex so any input would be helpful. I probably will be shooting out to around 700 yards maybe a little more.

I have had a diamondback, I loved it, sold it for more power. Now Im selling the weaver that replaced my diamondback and my new diamondback HP 4-16x42 will be here today. They seem to make a good product and a good price. Their warrenty can't be beat either.

The PST is a great optic. I have one on my 7.62 gasser and love it. For the price, warranty, and what you get its real hard to beat the Vortex PST. You can get either MOA or mil reticle. All depends on what you learned on or like.

Precision Rifle Blog does a list of "Gear the Pro's use," basically the guy takes all the results from shooting matches and crosses references that with what gear they used to win. The scope list is here http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/12/22/best-rifle-scope-what-the-pros-use/

And if you look at the chart, Vortex comes in third. Personally I have never read anything bad about them, with the exception of where they are made. I have a Stikefire, and few other friends have various model scopes and spotting scopes and everyone is happy with them.

Precision Rifle Blog does a list of "Gear the Pro's use," basically the guy takes all the results from shooting matches and crosses references that with what gear they used to win. The scope list is here http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/12/22/best-rifle-scope-what-the-pros-use/

And if you look at the chart, Vortex comes in third. Personally I have never read anything bad about them, with the exception of where they are made. I have a Stikefire, and few other friends have various model scopes and spotting scopes and everyone is happy with them.

However, the Vortex that story is referring to is the Razor HD, not the PST.

The PST's are ok and do have a lot of features for the money. For the use the OP described, I like the Sightron SIIIs better.

I have a Viper HS 4x16x44 With hash marks for yardage. I have tuned my .30-06 loads to match the hash-marks, and it works awesome. The eye relief is exceptional. Its not an FFP. I chose not to get an FFP because the cross hairs change thickness. I built the rifle for hunting but I use the rifle for target shooting also. When you put the cross hairs of a FFP on a dime @ 100 or a quarter @ 200 yards, they might cover your intended target. So if you are planning on doing some high precision shooting, you need to consider this. I have been shooting my Viper for two years now and all I have to say is that no other rifle scope can touch it for the price. Excellent Glass. Unbeatable warranty. Friendly turrets and parallax adjustment. Great Reticule's. Never a scope kiss again.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top