JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First off scope is already headed back to Vortex for repair. Scope is a 6-24x50 crossfire II scope.

So here's what was going on. Yesterday I took my oldest son to the range. Packed up the handguns amd both the ar10 and ar15. While shooting the AR10 the scope kept going out of focus where the objective needed to be changed pretty wildly to get the target back in focus. Scope was mounted on lapped vortex pro 30mm rings and correctly torqued in a criss cross pattern. Scope is about 7 months old now. Never banged around. Always in a hard padded case during transport or locked in the safe. Socope itself has seem maybe 2k rounds on 175gr 308 ran thru it.

My curiosity is wondering how this happened. If maybe something I might have contributed to it's pretty sudden demise.

Thoughts

Thanks
James

The VIP Warranty is no joke. Ive uses it a few time. No questions asked and quick shipping
Yeah I was expecting to have to pay for shipping to them. Sent them an email yesterday after hours and woke up this morning with the RMA form and a shipping label. Not happy about the broken scope but definitely happy with after purchase care.

I'm just wondering how something can break that really has minimal moving parts and the only impacts it has seen is from the recoil.

James

If Vortex didn't have that warranty the scope would cost about $30 bucks...

Sounds like your parallax adjustment skipped around inside your scope and is causing it to go out of focus with each shot. The warranty is nice and all, but imagine having this happen in a once in a lifetime hunt or a self defense situation. At that point the warranty really does not mean squat!

#VORTEXNATIONISAFAILEDSTATE!

None for me, thanks....

This thread piqued my interest as I have a Vortex Crossfire II 2x7 in my wish list on Amazon. Intended use is for an AR-10 SHTF rifle with 16" barrel.

The rifle currently has some Chinese UTG lighted reticle contraption that was around $70 and touted as ultra tactical and all that. Total garbage. Reticle is so blurry that getting 1 MOA groups is about impossible. And it's heavy. Just want a lightweight, simple, dependable scope for under $200.

The crossfire 2 has held up on my 223 and another one my 30-06 whice was originally on my 308 ar10 prior.

I haven't sent this into vortex yet. Keep spacing taking it with me to work so I can drop it off at the post office but I have included a note to please the me know the cause. It's all ready to get mailed. This one that failed is the newest and in guessing it was a manufacturing oversight or a defective part that was missed. I have searched high and low for other issues like this with any of their scopes and havent found a reported issue similar.

James

This thread brings up why I don't and probably won't use vortex. I hear they're pretty decent optics when they work, I also hear A LOT of people mention how great their warranty is from their own experience which tells me the warranty will be used. Remember, Harbor Freight also has lifetime warranties.

I have found the crosrfire 2 to be below my minimum standard. I bought a new 3-9 and it does not present a clear picture and i will not use it. It was replaced with a new bushnell trophy.

I have enjoyed all of my Vortex products.
The only time I've used their warranty is when I lost the rubber caps for my binoculars. I lost them, I expected to pay for them. Vortex paid everything.

I recently bought a Crossfire 2 4x16x50. I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have other vortex scopes that have worked well. I have a 4÷16 hst on my m1a I have no complaints with.
A 4 divided by 16 is a new one to me :p

I'm curious, though, why so many people use "3x9x40" when the box, and the way the magnification works, is clearly labeled as "3-9x40" because the way those are written mean entirely different things

A 4 divided by 16 is a new one to me :p

I'm curious, though, why so many people use "3x9x40" when the box, and the way the magnification works, is clearly labeled as "3-9x40" because the way those are written mean entirely different things

I see that all the time, and it drives me nuts!

As to Vortex, I myself have sent in a scope to them. It was a great experience, although I tend to look at other brands these days......

The objective lens is not adjustible. That's the big lens at the forward facing end of the scope. Have you checked other issues? On a bolt action I would make sure the action screws aren't loose, as I have seen this multiple times.

On your AR platform, check the attachment to the rail. The scope might be solid in the rings, but not at the rail...kinda grasping at straws.

Vortex makes a solid product. It has been one of the top contenders in PRS matches for a few years, and those scopes can get abused. Luckily, they have a fantastic warranty.

@HaveBug, if you want a scope that will reliably and repeatedly track, provide clear images, take abuse and provide quality glass and coatings, expect to spend more than $200. Show me anyone who is winning matches or going after high dollar game with a sub $200 dollar scope and I will rush out and buy it.

The vast majority of modern rifles are capable of moa or better precision. If you aren't getting it, and your shooting fundamentals are solid, spend some good $$ on your optics and mount. Buy once and cry once. You might do yourself a favor. No matter how good your rifle is, if you are getting bad data from your scope/mount setup, your shots will not be worth crap.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top