Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Voodoo 5.45x39 barrel and bolt AR build

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by rangerstx4, Oct 22, 2014.

1. rangerstx4

rangerstx4 Eastern Oregon Member

I recently put together a 5.45x39 AR. It was difficult choosing the right barre. There is a lot of opinions and options out there. I settled on the Voodoo barrel and bolt. From an online major retailer it was 333.00 for the set then I got $50 off with a coupon code. I mounted the barrel on an Aero COP upper. Lower was a Raptor from Bend.
    <br>
    First ammo I tested was Wolf 60gr. The group was just at an inch at 100 yards. I then shot some Hornady Vmax 60gr. Same group, just patterned a little different. The groups were ok, but I was really happy when I cycled 7n6 ammo through it. It ate it up, with zero stuck cases. I built a 5.45 AR a few years ago and in the first mag of surplus I had a stuck case. So far Ive put over 200 rounds of surplus through this one without a single problem on extraction. I get 1 or 2 fail to fires out of a 30 pack, because I haven't upgraded my hammer spring, but thats my fault and its easy to fix.
    <br>
    The groups might be brought in some with either a lighter or heavier grain. In all Im just happy to find an AR that will run surplus.
    IMG_1993_zpsd4c8e476.jpg
    IMG_1985_zps610d5b3a.jpg
    IMG_1986_zps0afe553c.jpg
    IMG_1994_zpsbd6d0a7d.jpg

2. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

Nice grouping. BTW, I've shot thousands of rounds of comblock 5.45 with the Geissele SSA trigger and never had a misfire. Costs a little more than a spring kit though.

How many 5.45 rounds can you fit in that 223 PMag before they jam?

rangerstx4 likes this.
  3. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

1-2 clicks right, 2 clicks up and you're SET!

What was your grouping with 7N6?

rangerstx4 likes this.
  4. rangerstx4

I was just putting 5 rounds in the mag before they got off cant and would not feed. My C-products 5.45 mags showed up and I use them now. I like the Geissel triggers, I may go that route.

5. rangerstx4

Never grouped the 7n6 actually. I threw a red dot on it and a buddy is borrowing it now. Once I get it back, Ill put it on the bench. I want to get some 69gr Wolf stuff too, to test.

Stomper likes this.
  6. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

I can get 10 to feed reliably in the 30 round mags. I don't think I've tried it on the 20s. C-Products seem to work great, just takes forever to find them at a decent price.

rangerstx4 likes this.