JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought the Fusion in May 2013. I got it with the .22 WMR and .17 HMR barrels. At the range using CCI .17 ammunition there was an explosion in the chamber and the extractor was blown in two pieces. This was due to the hollow points jamming into the loading ramp above the clip and unseating the bullet from the case. This spilled quite a bit of powder into the area and it went off. This was partially my fault since the first two rounds failed to feed and unseated as well. I just didnt realize they ere pouring their powder into the area.
I contacted Volquartsen and Scott immediately sent a new bolt with a new extractor installed . He also warned me against using CCI ammo in either the .17 or the 22wmr. Apparently autoloaders using the CCI have a tendency to blowout the rear of the thin metal in them. What I found was that any hollowpoint without the polymer tip is very dangerous in the Voluartsen! The ramp on both barrels causes the cartridge to jam and the pressure of the bolt pushing against it then unseats the bullet and spills the powder load. I am very sure they are working to correct this engineering problem which may have been a manufacturer problem.
Two other thoughts on the Fusion. It is a bit heavier than I would have liked and when you change barrels you have to sight in your scope again. OK I should have known this but I thought it would be very close upon changing but it was not. So you take the rifle and both barrels out to a rat hunt and switch barrels and spend the next hour getting it rezeroed.

So I sent back the Fusion and they are sending me a black Inferno in .17 HMR. I expect that it will work up to their standards.

A close friend just got the .17 light weight. Its not that light but it is damn sure accurate! If your looking for an extremely light weight rifle I have yet to see one of the volquartsens that would really fit that bill. On the other hand their customer service cannot be beat. Even with the difficulties I have experienced I am quite comfortable in shelling out a few grand for one of their high end weapons.

There is a plethora of aftermarket parts that can make your gun as good if not better than what Vol. puts out. Plus buying all the components and putting them together is 3/4 the fun.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top