JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I won a Volquartsen HP trigger in an auction today. I've never had a Ruger 10/22 trigger apart before and was wondering how difficult it really is. It has the metal trigger housing. Im not too scared to do this but was wondering if anyone knows any "tricks". I've assembled several AR's and have a fairly complete gunsmithing tool set. Thanks in advance for any input.

I'm not familiar with that trigger but I've installed a few drop ins. Remove the barrel band (if it has one), remove the screw on the bottom of the stock and pull the "upper" out. There are two pins that hold the trigger assembly in place. I've seen them literally fall out once the "upper" is removed.

Make sure you put the safety right in the middle position, neither on or off. Otherwise it keeps the two halves from separating.

Thanks for the safety in the middle input. I've had all three of my 10/22's apart for cleaning before but not much further. Any recommendations for a quality target barrel for under $200? This is a rifle for my son (and me) so I want it to be as accurate as my stainless 10/22 Target model.

BTW, I have a stainless 10/22 Target model as well. What ammo does yours like the best?

It's a tack driver with CCI green label and CCI mini mags. All bulk 22's are pretty darn accurate as well within reasonable range (100 yards and under). My daughter has been shooting competitively and they are using Aguila with better results than I can obtain. Obviously different rifles. Thanks for the heads up on Green Mountain barrels. This 10/22 is black so I'll look into one in that color next paycheck.

Pretty simple really, if you can assemble an AR, you should have no problem with a 10/22 trigger group. A good tip would be to use a longer drift pin punch to align the sear/disconnector/trigger parts before sliding in the retaining pin from the other side.

Pretty simple really, if you can assemble an AR, you should have no problem with a 10/22 trigger group. A good tip would be to use a longer drift pin punch to align the sear/disconnector/trigger parts before sliding in the retaining pin from the other side.
Roger that, I'm not a fan of parts falling into a pile without seeing how they work together first.

I've always found it helpful to review a 1/2 dozen well chosen yoootooobe
videos to augment my own anxiety. Usually the most helpful are the shortest ones from the pros; midway/brownell/ruger themselves. Then a couple of the longer more organized home spun types.

Do it a few times & it starts being a lot easier than I thought it would be.;)

I've had a green Mountain barrel on my 10/22 for 15-20 years.
Put 3-5k rounds through it for more than a dozen trips to Montana. [Sometimes in a single day] Still in good health.

Paid under $100 for it back in the day.
Not a fancy looker. More a work horse.

And I've done some work with it. ;)

Last Edited:
I won a Volquartsen HP trigger in an auction today. I've never had a Ruger 10/22 trigger apart before and was wondering how difficult it really is. It has the metal trigger housing. Im not too scared to do this but was wondering if anyone knows any "tricks". I've assembled several AR's and have a fairly complete gunsmithing tool set. Thanks in advance for any input.
Hi,

I've installed the whole Volquardsen kit in my 22/45 Mark III. There are a few areas which are difficult-especially re-installing the sear pin. There's a lot of stuff hanging on it. Fortunately, there are several excellent youtube videos which demonstrate step-by-step illustrated instructions and a few tricks. I am a novice, so you should be able to do it easily. If you have the whole kit including the sear upgrade, you won't be disappointed with the results. A bonus is that the mags will pop right out, and the gun will fire with the mag out. So you won't have to be constantly re-inserting the mag during pistol re-assembly after cleaning.
Good luck.

Norm

Hi,

I've installed the whole Volquardsen kit in my 22/45 Mark III. There are a few areas which are difficult-especially re-installing the sear pin. There's a lot of stuff hanging on it. Fortunately, there are several excellent youtube videos which demonstrate step-by-step illustrated instructions and a few tricks. I am a novice, so you should be able to do it easily. If you have the whole kit including the sear upgrade, you won't be disappointed with the results. A bonus is that the mags will pop right out, and the gun will fire with the mag out. So you won't have to be constantly re-inserting the mag during pistol re-assembly after cleaning.
Good luck.

Norm

Funny I just read this tonight. My original post was for a 10/22 trigger parts install. Just tonight though, I installed a Volquartsen seat into my 22/45! In the process I found out why the seat pin kept walking outward every 50 rounds, the retainer spring went to the wrong side when the original pin snapped in half.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top