JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Vivid Gun Colors:

• Good Idea

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • There is an option to Black or Tan???

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
Reactions
Easy Question. Hard Answer?

I want to color one of my guns (sometime in the uncertain future) but I watched a Video that got me thinking (Thanks @YankyMarshal) that maybe its not such a good idea unless I plan to only use it at the range and never for self defense.

Thoughts and Ideas?

I wanted to do a crazy color scheme on my soon to be done FankenAR and have a 9mm pistol than will need some smithing and a refinish and I had considered going outside the norm for that one as well but again am rethinking it. Silver/black/brown/green isn't so bad I suppose...:rolleyes:

If its a primary self defense gun I would not go out of my way to make it "extra evil" in any way, also if you ever think you might part with it it can make a difference in resale value.

Bad idea! Unless its a range gun for my Granddaughter!:D
Got her a Raspberry anodized SR-22.
I've seen any number of beautiful, bad azzed guns finished in subdued colors. It's all about the pattern then!

I don't think making real firearms look like a toy in any way shape or form is a good idea. Brightly colored guns can easily be mistaken by adults or children alike for a toy. Even if the gun is a dedicated range toy - I'd stick with established "gun" colors - black, brown, tan, green - earth tones. Nothing blue, pink, neon anything, red, orange, etc.

In training environments blue or red guns = training aids. Orange or neon colors signify toys/airsoft (by law, if an airsoft weapon doesn't have an orange tip, it must be clear or brightly colored to avoid being mistaken for a real operational firearm)

That's just my $0.02 on the issue. Do what turns you on.

As long as it's not your carry or defense gun, rock the color, man. They don't all have to be serious. I'm thinking that AR needs to be the brightest, shiniest purple or lime green that you can find. It'll look awesome. Just put something other than an A2 handguard on it - they really look like toys if you paint them. A nice quad rail looks great painted.

Easy Question. Hard Answer?

I want to color one of my guns (sometime in the uncertain future) but I watched a Video that got me thinking (Thanks @YankyMarshal) that maybe its not such a good idea unless I plan to only use it at the range and never for self defense.

Thoughts and Ideas?

I wanted to do a crazy color scheme on my soon to be done FankenAR and have a 9mm pistol than will need some smithing and a refinish and I had considered going outside the norm for that one as well but again am rethinking it. Silver/black/brown/green isn't so bad I suppose...:rolleyes:

I was introduced to "coloring" a gun when someone offered to trade me a Glock 23 for a Ruger p95 a few years back. I wanted a Glock 23 but the dude had cerakoted the gun white. It seriously looked like a storm trooper gun straight out of Star Wars.
Completely ruined the trade for me. I was not going to tell someone to get away and then have to explain as they laughed at me that it was not a toy gun. "no really it goes boom even though it looks lame as hell" bad guy laughs some more and says "why not just cut me down with your light saber" then I HAVE to shoot them....That is no good.

As you can see I have played this out in my head. Pretty sure my thoughts are dead on what would really happen if I had taken that lame a$$ gun.

I have to agree - on a carry gun, I would always prefer stainless or black (I'm not a OD or FDE fan). For something just for the range, heck yeah, have some fun with it.

Now, where can I find that "Stormtrooper" Glock...;)

I have to agree - on a carry gun, I would always prefer stainless or black (I'm not a OD or FDE fan). For something just for the range, heck yeah, have some fun with it.

Now, where can I find that "Stormtrooper" Glock...;)

Probably in police custody because whoever had it went through the same thing I explained I thought would happen. Someone laughed at them and got shot. Now the cops have the storm trooper blaster as evidence and to amuse themselves.

Again that is my thought on it. Just hope those cops do not forget it is not a toy and play with it.

Probably in police custody because whoever had it went through the same thing I explained I thought would happen. Someone laughed at them and got shot. Now the cops have the storm trooper blaster as evidence and to amuse themselves.

Again that is my thought on it. Just hope those cops do not forget it is not a toy and play with it.

I don't know why the police would be concerned, everyone knows stormtrooper weapons never hit their target :p

I agree that primary use of the firearm should (at least partially) dictate what it looks like. But I am strictly a recreational shooter and I want to share it with other people. I feel that the way a firearm looks really affects how receptive a person will be toward it. For example, my brother doesn't really like firearms, but when I showed him my walnut stocked .22 rifle he actually picked it up to check it out. He's a woodworker so that had something to do with it, but I know he would have not done the same thing had I shown him my Colt Commander. But that opened a door for him that had previously been shut and to me that is pretty important.

As long as you stay away from the safety orange, red or blue that fake demo firearms tools use go nuts.

Of course, I do like the logic that your carry firearm should be fairly standard. Others, who cares. Go nuts!

Make it any color you want.

Folks laugh at my marksmanship anyway. If the lime green and electric purple desert eagle distracts them, so be it...

If you like it, do it!

Just be sure to consider a smaller resale market, should you ever need to sell it.

Thanks for all of the input everyone!

My first AR is a budget build and will not be something I grab for deffense. More of something to learn what I want to build in the long run. So with that I will most likely find a color scheme that is bright but also keeps it looking like a real gun.

The 9mm I'm restoring could be a go to gun if I can get a smith to modify the trigger pull slightly (I think the guy before me tried some garage smithing on the trigger and its a bit odd). So I'll stay with a traditional color on that one just in case.

All of the guns I am contemplating coloring are ones that I bought on the low end of what they are worth and don't plan on (at least as far as I know:D) letting go in the future.

P.S. Staying away from "safety" colors is a great point for this conversation!

Thanks for all of the input everyone!

My first AR is a budget build and will not be something I grab for deffense. More of something to learn what I want to build in the long run. So with that I will most likely find a color scheme that is bright but also keeps it looking like a real gun.

The 9mm I'm restoring could be a go to gun if I can get a smith to modify the trigger pull slightly (I think the guy before me tried some garage smithing on the trigger and its a bit odd). So I'll stay with a traditional color on that one just in case.

All of the guns I am contemplating coloring are ones that I bought on the low end of what they are worth and don't plan on (at least as far as I know:D) letting go in the future.

P.S. Staying away from "safety" colors is a great point for this conversation!

Just please stay away from white storm trooper colors. I still have nightmares about that gun becoming my only weapon....Sad sad nightmares.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top