JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In my quest for the best ammo possible I'm going to experiment with the vita vouri powders starting with Tin Star for some sub sonic 44 mag loads. Anyone use this brand of powder and if so what do you think of it?

I've used VV 320 for .45 ACP, meters amazingly well and burns clean. Haven't really gotten beyond the test load stage so I can't speak to other characteristics, but it also seems to be very consistent. Didn't seem to be that much more expensive. Later.

Dave

VV N140 is the most accurate powder for heavy 223 bullets. Smallest velocity deviation. It is exspensive
and a waste of money for pistol powder IMHO. It would be like sorting and weighing your 44 mag brass.:oops:
I use H110 for jacketed magnum 44 loads. Unique, Universal and Blue Dot I have used in 44 lite loads.

here is the link to the powder:

I run n320 in both 45 acp loads and 9mm. As said meters great, burns clean and consistent. But no one in town has it anymore so pick it up when midway or someone is running free hazmat.

I've used VV 320 for .45 ACP, meters amazingly well and burns clean. Haven't really gotten beyond the test load stage so I can't speak to other characteristics, but it also seems to be very consistent. Didn't seem to be that much more expensive. Later.

Dave
Hey Dave, if you happened to be loading 230 gr. FMJ's, what was your OAL? I'm kinda new to the game. Thought CFE-Pistol was going to be my "go-to" for 9mm, 40, and 45. But with CFE in 45, I was getting unburnt powder, even with charging it on the upper end, and deceasing my OAL from 1.250 down to 1.230. Decided to buy 4 pounds of Vihtavuori N320

I've used N320 & N340 & N350 for pistols; most excellent, and expensive usually.
I've never used Vihtavuori before, but just bought 4 pounds of N320. I think it was the last jug on the entire internet. Lol!! Do you think it'll make good loads of 9mm and 40 with it? I bought mostly for 45ACP cause my CFE was spitting unburnt powder.

Sorry, I've only used it with the Missouri Bullet Company 225 gr. coated TC, and I can't remember the OAL off the top of my head. Check out the VV website, they have lots of good data for their powders, and they list a lot of .45 bullets that no one else has data for. Regardless, I don't think you'll regret your purchase, if I wasn't planning on standardizing on the bullet above with Sport Pistol, I'd probably make it my go to, and will still keep it around for other bullets, I have a bunch of Gold Dots that come to mind.

I've tried CFE Pistol, it meters well, but I get pretty inconsistent results, both over the chronograph and on the target. And like you, I find it fairly dirty, even at near max charges, so once I use up the pound I have, I probably won't buy anymore. The CFE 223 rifle powder isn't much different, good velocities, but only mediocre in the accuracy department, and again, fairly dirty. Good luck!

Dave

I've never loaded a 9 with it but it plays really nice with a 165gr in a 3" barrel .40 S&W. Pressures are similar in a 9 I would suspicion it would work well with a 124 or 115. It should work very nicely in your .45 it burns clean at low pressures in my .38s. I think you will like it. If I ran across some locally right now I I'd buy it.

Sorry, I've only used it with the Missouri Bullet Company 225 gr. coated TC, and I can't remember the OAL off the top of my head. Check out the VV website, they have lots of good data for their powders, and they list a lot of .45 bullets that no one else has data for. Regardless, I don't think you'll regret your purchase, if I wasn't planning on standardizing on the bullet above with Sport Pistol, I'd probably make it my go to, and will still keep it around for other bullets, I have a bunch of Gold Dots that come to mind.

I've tried CFE Pistol, it meters well, but I get pretty inconsistent results, both over the chronograph and on the target. And like you, I find it fairly dirty, even at near max charges, so once I use up the pound I have, I probably won't buy anymore. The CFE 223 rifle powder isn't much different, good velocities, but only mediocre in the accuracy department, and again, fairly dirty. Good luck!

Dave
Thank you for the reply Dave. Yeah, I was losing my mind trying to figure out why CFE was spitting so much unburnt powder. I was under the mistaken impression that it was great for 9, 40, and 45. Accuracy was pretty good for me me, but a lot left to be desired. I'll definitely check out the VV website, sounds like this N320 will be a great improvement. Faster burning from what I'm seeing on the charts too. Thanks again

Winchester primed brass, trimmed to a consistent length; the relatively new Nosler 185 grain JHP; 4.1 grains of Vihtavuori N310 to a loaded cartridge overall length of 1.20".
This is the USMC pistol team load I found in article for 45 acp. I went with N320 because it worked better for 9mm but still makes good clean shooters in 45 too.

Winchester primed brass, trimmed to a consistent length; the relatively new Nosler 185 grain JHP; 4.1 grains of Vihtavuori N310 to a loaded cartridge overall length of 1.20".
This is the USMC pistol team load I found in article for 45 acp. I went with N320 because it worked better for 9mm but still makes good clean shooters in 45 too.
Nice!! What is your load for 9mm with N320?

I've never loaded a 9 with it but it plays really nice with a 165gr in a 3" barrel .40 S&W. Pressures are similar in a 9 I would suspicion it would work well with a 124 or 115. It should work very nicely in your .45 it burns clean at low pressures in my .38s. I think you will like it. If I ran across some locally right now I I'd buy it.
Exactly what I needed to know for .40!! I was thinking a 165gr too, seems like it's be a great match

Running 4.2 gr at 1.10 col with rmr 124 gr flat nose and gp hollow points both. It's one tenth gr off there max published. I started at 3.9 and worked up to it.
45 with 320 shows 6.0-6.7 with 185 gr xtp. Think with the nosler cc I'm running 6.5 been awhile since I loaded any.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top