JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sifting through things this morning while waiting for the brass polisher to finish caused me to digress into lamenting the loss of earlier, and for me better times. Though I given, and did not buy this object of my digression I remember...
257.jpg @ Monkey Wards, Regularly $4.69, marked down to @3.47 then sale price of $2.47. (20 count .257 Roberts 115 gr soft point.) That's a red hair over 12 cents a round! less than most .22LR today.
Won't buy 20 pieces of lead for that today .:( (Maybe six pieces of brass if well used)

Gas was .27 cents a gallon when I started driving.
There were no bulk packs of .22 rim fire but there were boxes of fifty, CB caps- 22 shorts, longs or long rifle at the mom and pop sports shops.
I would choose very carefully what I could afford to put in the chamber and it was longs a good portion of the time.
Those old shops sold more bait than bullets is my bet as I would pick worms at night on the city hall lawns and then sell them to old Jay Jay so to have a few dollars in my pocket as a young kid.
Shucks - Nobody wants that job, But I had a .22 rifle a fish pole and reel, and a dream to get out of NYC.
Silver Hand

Yeah, stuff was cheap. Wages were low.

Long time done, raising a family. So now, with the ability to buy bulk and remans, I am better able to shoot more than when a young fellow! And, I hand loaded then! I'm still paying for sons ammo when we shoot, of course! o_O

I like running into vintage ammo and shooting gear, like thorborg did! I've had better luck finding rounds for my vintage guns lately, so I've got several interesting boxes recently! :)
Thanks for the nice thread OP!

Last Edited:
I'm only in my 30's but even thinking back a few years to 60$ mosins and 99$ sks's gets me all bummed out. But when I really want to remind myself I was born about 60 years too late I look at the old surplus ad's from the 50's and 60's like this
1958-slothurn-ad.jpg

Or this one with 50$ MP-40's http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/machinegun-ads-1960s-660x506.jpg

And now if you folks would excuse me, I believe I need to drain the tears out of my keyboard now, the Solothurn ad does it every time =*(

Gas was .27 cents a gallon when I started driving.
There were no bulk packs of .22 rim fire but there were boxes of fifty, CB caps- 22 shorts, longs or long rifle at the mom and pop sports shops.
I would choose very carefully what I could afford to put in the chamber and it was longs a good portion of the time.
Those old shops sold more bait than bullets is my bet as I would pick worms at night on the city hall lawns and then sell them to old Jay Jay so to have a few dollars in my pocket as a young kid.
Shucks - Nobody wants that job, But I had a .22 rifle a fish pole and reel, and a dream to get out of NYC.
Silver Hand

LOL!!!
You were an enterprising young man! Glad you were able to move about as far you can get from NYC! :)

I'm only in my 30's but even thinking back a few years to 60$ mosins and 99$ sks's gets me all bummed out. But when I really want to remind myself I was born about 60 years too late I look at the old surplus ad's from the 50's and 60's like this
View attachment 342887

Or this one with 50$ MP-40's http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/machinegun-ads-1960s-660x506.jpg

And now if you folks would excuse me, I believe I need to drain the tears out of my keyboard now, the Solothurn ad does it every time =*(

Absolutely! Many a night writhing in bed, bitter tears on my face, fists clenched like stones, for the NEED of a SOLOTHURN!!! :mad:

LOL!!!
You were an enterprising young man! Glad you were able to move about as far you can get from NYC! :)

No grass ever grew under my feet / I wanted out and saw the dream at age twelve, prior to the interstates being complete wile up in rural Vermont.

In high school I met a girl from Oregon she didn't much care for NY either, so we hooked up [she is still around here some place] we had two kids, her and I in the front of a single cab 3/4 ton Chevy pickup when headed for the coast.

I guess I'm a little younger than some of the stories here. I remember $.50/gal Hi Test gas in college. Landed a high paying factory job on the night shift to cover my books and rent. $159/week, $227 if I worked the weekend. Bought a Marantz receiver, a Dual turntable and some Altec Lansing speakers. Badass stereo in the living room, $150 car in the driveway. Geeks. :rolleyes:

Dating was simpler. You didn't need written permission to boink. Yes meant yes and no usually meant no. :)

Last Edited:
View attachment 342887

In about 1960 a man I knew Kliff Vanbaden had just been released from the pen for the second time.
As soon as he got out he went straight and opened a gun shop. He had one of these things [or was it a 50 cal machine gun barrel and action?] and was converting it into a bolt action rifle. First one I ever saw up close and personal.
Guys did strange things back then.
Wonder what ever happened to that man?
Silver Hand

Aw for the memories, makem good ones boys. Spend more time doing and less time sitting as there will be a time coming when the body can no longer do what the brain still thinks you can. I cant always remember where I put my glasses but I still remember the thrill the first time I shot my uncle's new 300 savage (@ age 12), the pride of just staying upright and hearing the excitement in my dad & uncle's voices shouting that I had actually hit the target, which seemed a million miles away to me.

Every imaginary game was either cowboys and Indians or star wars and fighting about who got to be hon solo lol.

Making hand guestures of guns shooting at school.

Ping pong ball guns at every supermarket.

Early versions of 'air soft' guns that could be ordered at the back of a guns n ammo or mad magazine.

Kids just aren't the same these days - and I just turned 40 so it's not like I'm ancient yet:p

1) Riding down the freeway in the back of a pickup truck.
2) Drinking from a garden hose.
3) Leaving at sunset & coming home at dusk.
4) Both parents smoked in the car and weren't considered child abusers.
5) No cell phone's. If you weren't home you were unavailable.
6) Running into the store to buy my Dad his smokes.
7) The only beer was Rainier & Olympia.
8) No helmets riding our bicycle's.
9) What gender on the outside of a bathroom meant something.
...Oh the life of a kid growing up in the 70's.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads