JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got a 6" Ruger GP100. Last night I was doing some indoor dry fire practice and gave it a serious inspection. Using a high intensity flashlight I noticed copper colored deposits along the rifling edges inside the barrel.

1) How do I clean this?

2) Is it a problem?

As info this is a newer gun, just bought last spring and only has a few hundred rounds through it.

Nothing at all to be concerned with.. A good copper solvent like Montana X-Treme Copper Killer of Barnes CR-10 will take it out in a hurry. just be sure to follow the instructons as written. Use it outdoors or in a VERY well ventilated area. I got a selevtion of the Montana Solvents and Lubes for Christmas and am really impressed with how well they work.

Nothing at all to be concerned with.. A good copper solvent like Montana X-Treme Copper Killer of Barnes CR-10 will take it out in a hurry. just be sure to follow the instructons as written. Use it outdoors or in a VERY well ventilated area. I got a selevtion of the Montana Solvents and Lubes for Christmas and am really impressed with how well they work.

+1 Very common, particularly with higher velocity loads. As Gunner69 said, use a good copper solvent and follow the directions and it should clean right up.

Good to know. I recently started handloading, and while I've only shot a few dozen hand loaded rounds, I thought maybe this was an indicator I'd seated/crimped/charged wrong.

Chances are this was happening with the manufactured stuff, but I never noticed.

Thanks.

If you are shooting cast, try to keep the velocities below 1K FPS and use good hard cast bullets. Cast bullets at higher velocities can lead quite badly especially cheap ones. I used to load Hornady 148 gr HBWC's in .38 spl, but stopped loading them because the bullets were just barely hard enough to function properly and would lead terribly even with low velocity loads. I got very adept at using a Lewis Lead Remover, but not because I wanted to.

Copper fouling and leading can be greatly reduced by lapping, and or polishing the barrel.

There's many how to's on the net and it can be done with common tools most shooters already have.

Once completed, the need for harsh cleaning chemicals is way less.

Just sayin'
Tilos

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews