JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Folks,

Many of us followed the events in Virginia closely. Some of our fellow citizens that attended the rally chose to wear plate carriers to the event. That is their right. However I was shocked at the number of pictures I saw of citizens improperly wearing the plate carriers; most of them slung low and extending over the stomach. Some to such a degree that their practical protection was significantly compromised.

A plate carrier is simply a piece of safety equipment, like a condom. And if you wear either incorrectly you're gonna have a bad time adding to or subtracting from the population.

I was initially planning to write about my own experience using vests and plate carriers in the Marines (hint: wear it high) but found this helpful article that goes into good detail and rational

F2BCB70A-361B-4DD1-88B4-388F766D6AE8.jpeg

Wear the equipment correctly, practice your rights, and stay safe.

Even though I was an EMT as collateral duty while in the Navy, I always had a first aid pack with me.

When I went to shore duty, my collateral duty was with Aux. Security Force. I made it mandatory for my platoon to have first aid packs and whenever i see pictures like these, I check load outs to see if these people have easily recognizable First Aid packs on them.

It's not that hard to put together and it may one day help someone.

While the critical criticism may be correct, these people played their most important role standing up in mass numbers. If they were naked they still would have provided a better barrier to the task at hand than 100 lonely but properly outfitted protesters.

It's great to see individuals on this side of the fence standing up. The other side has zero problems telling their side regardless of optics. Give me Fat Freddy in a ridiculously set up Go to War gear but speaking truth to power.

These are Aussies, you can see whats a proper fit and whats not :rolleyes: note, they are using 1996 era US issued Interim Small Arms Protective Overvests, that the US sent to the Aussies when Interceptor body armor became standard issue.Photos from East Timor about 2001ish. The first pic shows clearly improper fit on the back. 638777_orig.jpg 3875396_orig.jpg 4027245_orig.jpg

With soft armor, its fairly easy to get proper fit; but some cases as seen here with elastic shoulder straps and heavier plates pulling down... also; improper sized plates and carriers. I see many with L/XL carriers but fitted with M SAPI/10x12 standard steel plates that will hang low in oversized carriers. As an aside; Eagle Industries and other quality armor companies size their carriers to the armor plate intended, not to the human being wearing it :rolleyes: c34a4ecfe7e17895f739680cd347a054--marine-raiders-special-forces.jpg
USMC MARSOC wearing properly fitted

gty_ir10.jpg
Iraqis wearing elastic strapped carriers, some not fitted well

Picture484-1.jpg
Special Operations? Hangs low
97-1.jpg
Contractors wearing concealable vests, note plate outline on white shirt guy and how low it hangs relative to sternum area
ColonLopezPJ1.jpg
Parajumper wearing a smaller plate carrier sized for the plate and fitted properly
13658298_1280234715350640_972365559_n.jpg
SFG guys wearing Eagle rigs; both have their carriers hanging way too low, green shirted guy is an extreme example; possibly because both guys are toting 12 M4 magazines plus radios plus pistols and pistol mags and other gear, unbalancing the rigs (can see the back panel is right on his nape on green shirt)

When I went to shore duty, my collateral duty was with Aux. Security Force. I made it mandatory for my platoon to have first aid packs and whenever i see pictures like these, I check load outs to see if these people have easily recognizable First Aid packs on them.

It's not that hard to put together and it may one day help someone.

Good point. Medkits are often overlooked. Even just carrying a tourniquet can make the difference.

View attachment 652610
SFG guys wearing Eagle rigs; both have their carriers hanging way too low, green shirted guy is an extreme example; possibly because both guys are toting 12 M4 magazines plus radios plus pistols and pistol mags and other gear, unbalancing the rigs (can see the back panel is right on his nape on green shirt)

This is were having a battle belt makes a huge difference. Taking some of that weight off the front of the carrier allows for a proper fit.

Having had to wear helmets and armor ..
I found it hot , heavy , bulky , uncomfortable and very difficult to camouflage and break the "hard / solid" outlines of...
Many times in our LRRP / LRSD teams we would go out with all that crap...then cache it ....conduct our mission and retrieve on our way back to friendly lines.
So admittedly I am speaking from a bias here.

But...
If you choose to wear helmets armor and whatnot...
Wear it properly and maintain it correctly....otherwise it is a useless piece of heavy , uncomfortable and expensive gear that does you no good.
Andy

I found it hot , heavy , bulky , uncomfortable and very difficult to camouflage and break the "hard / solid" outlines of...
Many times in our LRRP / LRSD teams we would go out with all that crap...then cache it ....conduct our mission and retrieve on our way back to friendly lines.

But...
Wear it properly and maintain it correctly....otherwise it is a useless piece of heavy , uncomfortable and expensive gear that does you no good.
Andy

I was always amused by the dudes who wore a K-pot that was too small for their melons... :rolleyes:

But...
Andy
The ceramics available today are usually lighter than what was available back in the 1980s-1990s; at least from what weights I could find.
Granted not that much for Level IV types but for Level III there are weights rangin from 4lbs each to 9lbs depending on size and materials (10x12 is standard, from the new plastics to steel).

But I have noticed a disturbing trend of some "lightweight" armor having essentially 8x10 area of hard ceramics while inset into foam to make up to 10x12 :s0001::mad:

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, (1967) we had helmet liners on top of which we wore a steel helmet.

But one of our guys had a noggin so large he could wear only the steel pot.

It looked comical as all hell.

The guy was embarrassed about it, but no one teased him as he was the size of a small house...

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, (1967) we had helmet liners on top of which we wore a steel helmet.

The guy was embarrassed about it, but no one teased him as he was the size of a small house...

Was his issue rifle an M60? :D

My first few years in was steel pots, and the old OD green flak-vest before the new "wonder" Kevlar came into the inventory.

Was his issue rifle an M60? :D

WHOA junior.... I was a M60 gunner once! o_O:D

A5351B9E-F53F-4905-B94F-38C903071C63.gif

My only problem is choking on the plate in odd positions.
For that reason, my opinion is that a plate carrier ought to be able to attach to a belt, which can lock the carrier down, preventing upward movement... similar to this 014ff6f74e6c04a8f223e689bf7addd5.jpg

On the other hand, this is also why an elastic cummerbund works pretty well on soft carriers; they lock the carrier down. Its also why some police concealable vests had groin/butt flaps to tuck into pants.

For that reason, my opinion is that a plate carrier ought to be able to attach to a belt, which can lock the carrier down, preventing upward movement... similar to this View attachment 652709

On the other hand, this is also why an elastic cummerbund works pretty well on soft carriers; they lock the carrier down. Its also why some police concealable vests had groin/butt flaps to tuck into pants.

That is an interesting setup. My problem is just a super long torso, probably wouldn't work well for me.

If anything I am noticing my rear plate is too low.

H6MF2n3_d.jpg

That is an interesting setup. My problem is just a super long torso, probably wouldn't work well for me.

If anything I am noticing my rear plate is too low.

View attachment 652714
The front is properly placed on your torso, but the back is too low? Sounds like you need 2 different sized plates; something most companies don't do :rolleyes: Its also something of an issue in using carriers with cummerbunds; since they set the relative heights of the plate bags; something like this can and apparently does happen. This is another reason the Plate Carrier/removable chest rig panel system is being used by the Army and the Marines; the chest rig panel doesnt set the plate height; although the carrier's side straps or cummerbund does. Hm. Looking at the Interceptor type and the older Ranger body armor, as well as the SPEAR BALCS carriers; I see that they have fixed shoulder sections; and simple straps or elastic side bands...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top