JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Its also something of an issue in using carriers with cummerbunds; since they set the relative heights of the plate bags

I tried running it with straps rather than a cumberbund, and almost broke my jaw when jumping up onto a small ledge.

I could try stripping the carrier down and running the rudder harness over it......

So maybe whats needed are basically plate carrier to war belt suspenders/straps... sort of like a garter belt or shirt stay system? Might be doable; might be silly looking... but it does sound like your carrier isn't as securely set as it should be... the straps aren't elastic, right?

Edit. It might be that the carrier is not as taut or tight as should be. A shorter cummerbund, or elastic cummerbund might be better here. What size plate are ya running? Might be the front plate is too large?

So maybe whats needed are basically plate carrier to war belt suspenders/straps... sort of like a garter belt or shirt stay system? Might be doable; might be silly looking... but it does sound like your carrier isn't as securely set as it should be... the straps aren't elastic, right?

Edit. It might be that the carrier is not as taut or tight as should be. A shorter cummerbund, or elastic cummerbund might be better here. What size plate are ya running? Might be the front plate is too large?

Garters! The new frontier in tactical fashion.

I am envisioning dual low ride holster systems with the thigh straps, strapped to the plate carrier! Haha

So the cumberbund has some elasticity, and it is very stable with the cumberbund.

I probably just need tonmess around with the cumberbund to get the back plate in the right spot.

Could use something like this and adjust where the front Velcro is.

Or this.

@Taco_lean ; maybe the rear plate is in an OK location? If we're going from the military and police suggestions that front and rear are to be at the same level relative to each other, then that means the upper shoulders/nape of neck area would appear to be exposed; if just front/rear plates. This area might be supplemented by collar armor as seen on the Interceptor body armor, not sure about the shoulder tops though, I do know there are "Deltoid Armor plates/pads" that can be located on there but at a cost of reduced mobility.

It's all a tradeoff anyhow. You might be able to find addon collar /nape armor for standard plate carriers although I've not seen such a setup

@Taco_lean ; maybe the rear plate is in an OK location? If we're going from the military and police suggestions that front and rear are to be at the same level relative to each other, then that means the upper shoulders/nape of neck area would appear to be exposed; if just front/rear plates. This area might be supplemented by collar armor as seen on the Interceptor body armor, not sure about the shoulder tops though, I do know there are "Deltoid Armor plates/pads" that can be located on there but at a cost of reduced mobility.

Next time I go shooting I will take some still front/back shots and compare to the standards.

Hopefully I don't get shot in the back before then! Lol

Early in my military career I attached my war belt to my vest but found it significantly limited my movement. My belt now has a set of large suspenders which help distribute the weight. It also allows me to drop my armor and still have the essentials handy on my belt.

For those that find one plate riding too high or low: try adjusting the shoulder straps and the cummerbund placement.

Finally, the vest should be snug but you should be able to breath. If there is any back/forth or up/down movement when doing jumping jacks its too loose. If you pass out doing jumping jacks it's too tight.

Edit. Some carriers like the Eagle CIRAS series and the USMC vest series do not make it easy to wear a belt kit due to the sizing and shaping of the carriers, ending usually right at the waist or just below it.

There seems to be two distinct American schools of thoughts regarding belt kits. One advocates running minimal gear on the belt like 2-4 rifle mags, plus pistol and pistol mags, and a dump pouch, maybe a first aid kit and knife, and run the rest on plate carrier. The other advocates the reverse; run 3 to 4 rifle mags on the carrier, as well as either comms or first aid kit or both (usually on the back panel); then run the rest of rifle mags and pistol mags and gear on the war belt.

For those running a British/Old School kit of 6-9 mags on the belt with canteens, first aid kit, pistol mags, pistol, and maybe a dump pouch, and 2-3 rifle mags on the plate armor... I would think using a LBV style shoulder pad harness with the belt would be good, and strip the plate carrier's shoulder straps to be unpadded (remove the padded sleeves or padded panels)... since the LBE H harness pads is more than sufficient for such a duty... of course this is assuming the belt kit harness runs underneath the armor itself instead of the other way around

Hey Folks,

Many of us followed the events in Virginia closely. Some of our fellow citizens that attended the rally chose to wear plate carriers to the event. That is their right. However I was shocked at the number of pictures I saw of citizens improperly wearing the plate carriers; most of them slung low and extending over the stomach. Some to such a degree that their practical protection was significantly compromised.

A plate carrier is simply a piece of safety equipment, like a condom. And if you wear either incorrectly you're gonna have a bad time adding to or subtracting from the population.

I was initially planning to write about my own experience using vests and plate carriers in the Marines (hint: wear it high) but found this helpful article that goes into good detail and rational

Wear the equipment correctly, practice your rights, and stay safe.

Wow, had no idea. Thanks for sharing!

Was his issue rifle an M60? :D
Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, (1967) we had helmet liners on top of which we wore a steel helmet.

But one of our guys had a noggin so large he could wear only the steel pot.

It looked comical as all hell.

The guy was embarrassed about it, but no one teased him as he was the size of a small house...
I must have had that guys younger brother in my platoon in Basic back in 1980.
He could not wear the liner just the steel pot with a towel under it.

Body armor wearing - New fashion statement?

What else does one wear with body armor, bullet resistant baseball caps?

I just can't keep up with all the latest trends, sigh...

If I were to consider wearing b.a. I'd want to protect the southern regions too, ah know what um talkin bout? Yeah, man land needs protection too ya know, but I suppose running would be out of the question so it's a trade off I guess.

Body armor wearing - New fashion statement?
sort of. Look at Crossfit gyms and their tendency to use ballistic carriers to carry weights :rolleyes:

What else does one wear with body armor, bullet resistant baseball caps?
hahaha, ball caps with velcro seem to be very common with people wearing the armor vests.. if they aren't wearing helmets :p:rolleyes: often you'll find large beards and Oakley style glasses worn :rolleyes:

I just can't keep up with all the latest trends, sigh...

If I were to consider wearing b.a. I'd want to protect the southern regions too, ah know what um talkin bout? Yeah, man land needs protection too ya know, but I suppose running would be out of the question so it's a trade off I guess.

They make ballistic cups :s0001:Nutshellz Level 2 Bullet Resistant Mens Protective Cup/Real Uhmwpe, Ballistic Kevlar and Carbon Fiber Amazon.com : Nutshellz Level 2 Bullet Resistant Mens Protective Cup/Real Uhmwpe, Ballistic Kevlar and Carbon Fiber : Sports & Outdoors

CamoD,

Nuttshellz, oh man, I laughed so hard when I read that, I think I gave myself a hernia...bwahahahaha!

But, I really don't get all the hoopla about wearing body armor or is it just 'the cool kids' who wear it?

Or is it a logical evolution for preppers who're are convinced they'll be super ready by gawd wtshtf? Marauding gangs of Mad Max-men won't be able to kill them and take their Mountain House goodies. No siree, the bad men won't be able kill them as they wear steel b.a. - unkillable they are.

I hope if that's the case they can don it super quick like Clark Kent in the telephone booth or perhaps the greatest benefit is it's psychologically soothing for the anxiety ridden prepper. B.A may be even superior to xanax for a worry-less future of living like it's 1850.

CamoD,

Nuttshellz, oh man, I laughed so hard when I read that, I think I gave myself a hernia...bwahahahaha!
indeed. :D

But, I really don't get all the hoopla about wearing body armor or is it just 'the cool kids' who wear it?
A little bit of "cool kids", but a lot of "if police and military wear it, why not citizens too?" Once asked a question. "Why do the police need AR15s?". Almost always, the "logical" answer is to not be outgunned by criminals.
Stands to reason that if police and military require body armor for protection, well that's just good sense for a citizen too! especially if said citizen consider themselves part of a militia

Or is it a logical evolution for preppers who're are convinced they'll be super ready by gawd wtshtf? Marauding gangs of Mad Max-men won't be able to kill them and take their Mountain House goodies. No siree, the bad men won't be able kill them as they wear steel b.a. - unkillable they are.
Ceramic armor pieces are coming down in prices and weight.
Its not exclusively a prepper thing. Again, the majority seem to be self-proclaimed militia members, and LEO/security officers.

Also, remember reading about NDs and stupidity going on at shooting ranges and it makes sense for an armed person to also be wearing armor at gun ranges, especially if the range happens to not be in a building but at a clearing, in a quarry, or the woods :rolleyes: actually, ask the hunters here about how often they get gunfire at rifle season ends in the woods thats too close for comfort...

I hope if that's the case they can don it super quick like Clark Kent in the telephone booth or perhaps the greatest benefit is it's psychologically soothing for the anxiety ridden prepper. B.A may be even superior to xanax for a worry-less future of living like it's 1850.
Sure seem to take a dim view of people who buys and some who wear body armor, don't ya?

In my case, its for confirming gear fit when I make gear :s0108::s0091:

Most of the pictures I saw of Virginia, the guys were fine.

Unfortunately for a lot of athletic and skinnier built guys it's impossible to wear plates "correctly". Meaning if you get the proper front plate ride height, the back will sag a tad too low.

Been this way for me for years and I've worn tons of different carriers from different manufacturers. Spiritus Systems, Warrior Assault Systems, Crye, First Spear, etc.

Thats why a custom built carrier that doesn't follow the "standards" makes sense IMO. Easiest if the C bund mounts can move up or down relative to the rear plate bag, even if it means looking a bit "odd" from the back :rolleyes:

An alternative may be found in the Eagle Rhodesian Recon Vest chest rig with MBAV rear plate bag; the chest rig has a pocket for a plate up front, and the rear plate bag is rather large and can accommodate bigger rectangle plates

Also, remember reading about NDs and stupidity going on at shooting ranges and it makes sense for an armed person to also be wearing armor at gun ranges, especially if the range happens to not be in a building but at a clearing, in a quarry, or the woods

I have had some odd people bug me when I am plateless by myself out on Larch mountain. But Slap some plates on and keep an AR slung and people leave me alone :rolleyes:

I had a great shooting session with a group of armored car drivers who were all practicing in plates because they have to wear em at work, so makes sense to train in it.

When it comes to any and all safety equipment, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

My Dad, the Submariner Chief, told me one is none, and two is one... Chief says to get three.

Since then, that's what I do.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top