JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Going to be putting down waterproof vinyl plank flooring, the kind that looks like wood. Looked at a bunch of stuff from box stores to family owned stores. Man, there's a lot of choices and prices. . I'm starting to look and feel like my avatar photo! I'll be ripping out the existing carpeting and pulling the pad staples, etc.

Looking at different on-line reviews of different companies, the common complaint seems to be the installers that Lowe's, Home Depot & Empire are using.

Who has been through this before? Any good outfits in Vancouver, or PDX that you've dealt with. Good or bad experiences will be appreciated.

Thanks.

It's easy to install. I used the LVP from HD. It doesn't have the thickest wear layer, but for my application it was fine. You will need to pull the baseboards or add 1/4 round. I always undercut the door jambs too. No I can't recommend anyone.

Going to be putting down waterproof vinyl plank flooring, the kind that looks like wood. Looked at a bunch of stuff from box stores to family owned stores. Man, there's a lot of choices and prices. . I'm starting to look and feel like my avatar photo! I'll be ripping out the existing carpeting and pulling the pad staples, etc.

Looking at different on-line reviews of different companies, the common complaint seems to be the installers that Lowe's, Home Depot & Empire are using.

Who has been through this before? Any good outfits in Vancouver, or PDX that you've dealt with. Good or bad experiences will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Contact @11Charlie - he's in the business

I'm in construction and we've been using Great Floors on Andresen across from Winco.
They use piece workers and quality is about a B- to a B...this is the problem with most all cut-rate installers.
To get higher quality you have to go to a union shop that has hourly guys on staff.

You can look at Great Floors work by going to the CDM building just to the north of Great Floors.
If that quality is OK, Randy at Great Floors could help you.

Back in the day we used Don Frank Company and Floor Factors....they had better crews.

It's not hard t put in, if you're so inclined. I did about 800 square feet worth over concrete on a lower level several years ago and it's still looking fantastic today. I would imagine today's product is even better. I got mine from Depot and it was on the higher end. I could have went laminate but for my concrete floor I felt the the vinyl planking was the best option. Just make sure that the install surface is totally free from debris.

Thanks.
Contact @11Charlie - he's in the business
Jerry I would be happy to help you out if you need anything. I pm you my cell if you want to talk.

I bought and installed about 2800sq/ft of vinyl plank flooring from @11Charlie , we love the stuff!

WIP photos of my kitchen remodel I've been working on...

52991E03-46D6-4E92-BC6A-B8CA37C879CB.jpeg E23DEAF7-3786-4AE6-A591-85027CB95597.jpeg B3604196-4812-424A-8A28-C7D3604C267D.jpeg 143558E5-00E2-44EC-8977-081489C40753.jpeg A2C9A459-E3F0-4E7F-A72A-61F476F75A6E.jpeg
56FAF879-2FB8-4E7D-85BE-46EFC70E0D20.jpeg

For what it's worth, when I do my own, I try to avoid sellers that order flooring in and won't take a return if you buy too many boxes.

If you get something manufactured with a "natural wood" look, there are only so many designs in a box, maybe 8-12 patterns and some repeats. Last room I did in the basement, I unboxed all my boards to lean against the wall by similar design (ending up with 7-10 of some patterns and 12-14 of others). The challenge then was to put them down "randomly," so I didn't end up with a distinctive knot, stripe or seam right by the same exact thing in the next row over.

flooring.jpg

We did about 800 square feet in our house last summer. We bought from a local shop and probably paid a bit more than we should have but feel like we got a bit better quality than the Home Depot stuff also. The stuff we used actually has pretty visible seams which we like because it really looks more realistic (like real wood). Ours is also different widths so we have 4,6 and 8" wide planks.

@11Charlie What brand do you use?

@Stomper I really like that color. That was kind of our second choice but didn't have the guts to try it. Went with more of a solid pattern of the darker planks in your pattern.

Not a very good picture but here it is.
57wmghq9RFu7avd9Je%iAA.jpg

Last Edited:
We did about 800 square feet in our house last summer. We bought from a local shop and probably paid a bit more than we should have but feel like we got a bit better quality than the Home Depot stuff also. The stuff we used actually has pretty visible seams which we like because it really looks more realistic (like real wood). Ours is also different widths so we have 4,6 and 8" wide planks.

@11Charlie What brand do you use?

@Stomper I really like that color. That was kind of our second choice but didn't have the guts to try it. Went with more of a solid pattern of the darker planks in your pattern.

Not a very good picture but here it is.
View attachment 609573

My wife chose that random color/pattern because it complements a very wide color palette. It goes with earth tones, whites, blue and green hues... etc.

I bought and installed about 2800sq/ft of vinyl plank flooring from @11Charlie , we love the stuff!

WIP photos of my kitchen remodel I've been working on...

Installing OSB as a sub-floor? :confused:
NEVER in a wet area! o_O
That was your biggest mistake :rolleyes:
Pray you never experience water leakage. You'll be tearing it all out.
Now tell me that's what insurance is for.

I have 39 years installing experience. Not that it matters.
Your home, not mine

So... you're saying that you're still stuck in "the old ways"? ;):D

I was skeptical at first too, but it's listed for damp areas. The old floor had bouncy pine boards and particle board underlayment that was disintegrated under the sheet-vinyl floor. It's all new, including a real crawlspace now... it's solid as a rock. :s0155:

362FEB18-56B2-4328-997E-961D090A09E0.jpeg ACCDC3C4-A500-4AAA-99F9-8175875FABDE.jpeg 086CE8EC-75B4-48FB-B5D9-0AA0DD2A2B40.jpeg 035F7B22-F2C2-4DB7-8D19-39394FF8E4EA.jpeg 12892F49-265E-41BD-B574-DAC5F812EF58.jpeg 09F6E4C2-DEBF-463E-A203-BAA818C86BCA.jpeg 8D170B80-374F-4D23-AAE0-3ED49D0FCF6E.jpeg 93E6EB3C-56AD-43DB-A2BE-57A50A66C7B8.jpeg B59AFA45-1544-40DE-8814-5C4352C62ABA.jpeg B69CBE3D-788D-4B5D-BB1D-D5069AFA20B2.jpeg E9449031-61D1-422E-BEA5-168CE08FEEC7.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads