1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Vintage .32 S&Ws??

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Brutus57, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

I was doing some on line research today and came across a story of a .32 Smith & Wesson revolver seized in a smuggling arrest ca. 1910. It is said the gun was modified to fire a rifle round. Not knowing much about guns from this period I am wondering what rifle round would this have been? I would assume the caliber was kept the same and that the cylinder was modified. Sounds dangerous but then the owner was a smuggler!

I am hoping to see this pistol in the next few months if it still exists.

Brutus Out
  2. Dain Bramage

Dain Bramage Everett Member

I can't think of any rifle cartridge that would a) fit in an S&W .32 revolver cylinder, and b) not blow it up.

There are some "pseudo-rifle" chamberings that come to mind.

There is the .30-18, only considered a "rifle" cartridge by way of being chambered for the Pedersen device in the 1903 Springfield. Of course, it was never issued, and it morphed into the French 7.65mm Longue. Also, the timing is off since development of the cartridge was around 1918.

Then, there is the .32-20, chambered in lever guns and full-sized pistols alike. It would not fit in a compact .32 S&W cylinder, like in a DA or New Departure ("Lemon Squeezer"), but maybe we're talking about a full size belt pistol of some kind.

Report what you find out.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  3. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

Law enforcement has always been uneducated about guns, this just proves its been that way a long time
  4. joken

joken Corvallis Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter