JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Noticed lately that in addition to language, nudity, drug use, and violence, that Netflix has added "smoking" to their list of warnings.

I didn't realize that someone smoking a cigarette or cigar was now a moral issue that may do psychological damage to younger viewers.

Bugs Bunny should be ashamed...

bugs-bunny-cigarette.jpg

It's not a moral issue. It's no different than any of the other things you mentioned.

To an adult, it's immaterial. To the parent of an impressionable preteen, it's information. Perhaps that parent wants to limit their kid's exposure to protagonists giving the impression that smoking "is cool" or is harmless.

That parent can do what they want, just as you can. Now you both have more information to better make a decision.

I would argue that nudity, drug use, profanity, and violence are all moral/psychological issues. Smoking is a health issue.

When will they add the warning that the show contains consumption of fatty foods? Or lack of regular exercise? Or driving fossil fuel vehicles?

OP,

Did this just start on Netflix? Is it a commercial or does it show before a show comes on? I have never seen Netflix work personally.

I don't have Netflix or things like that. I have NO dish or cable for tv reception (OTA only.) or the movies here.

I find if odd if they are giving warnings about smoking while they still show and promote all other kinds of garbage from Holly-weird and around the world in their shows.

I say this as a non smoker too.

I was going to add something else but it is not FAMILY friendly on my question or comment so I will NOT do this here.

Cate

Bugs is okay, because it's been more than a century since a carrot refered to tobacco...

Warning for the grammar nazis, that typo was no accident.

I wonder what stage we are at for "The State" to take complete control of raising the children? You know, for the good of the children. Parents got no time for that nonsense. Plus, they don't know what their doing.

I don't mind it in the slightest for reasons already explained by Hueco. I have no say about how others choose to raise their children. If smoking is a trigger for some and they'd like a heads up I take no issue with it - it's a word in a list on a load screen as far as I'm concerned.

I did do some quick research and it appears Netflix came under fire last year for the quantity of depictions of smoking in the original content. Tons of articles on the subject dating between June and October of last year, including a bunch that speculate whether or not "big-tobacco" has a controlling interest in Netflix based on the amount of smoking in original content.

It's just Netflix doing some damage control and absolving itself of liability. Most people don't even pay attention to the warning screen. I'd feel very different if Netflix took money from an anti-tobacco organization then had a commercial or advert that was required before streaming. That isn't the case.

Last Edited:
We are born nude! Travel to Europe, Africa, South America, parts of Asia - no crazy reactions!

Profane words are words because they are in the dictionary.

Smoking is not good but good education can be a preventive measure (yeah, right!).

Drug use is just silly!

Violence.....just look at history!

Only in USA! :(

I find it more interesting that on cable TV it's all good to see someone's heads blown off or any other various ways of brutal murder, and yet, heaven forbid, you show a nude image or say bubblegum.

American society has some strange morals, specially concerning nudity and violence.

Nothing really new ...but yeah the "standards" for what gets a warning is strange.

In 1948 , Norman Mailer's The Naked and the Dead was published.
Now for those who don't know of this novel...it is about the US Army's Guadalcanal Campaign.
In it...Mailer has his GI's speak , well like GI's...
So the "F" word was used , alot.
Only....
In 1948 one could not have their book published if that word was used....so the word "Fug" was used instead.

Now what is interesting to me is....
That the Platoon Sergeant commits a war crime by murdering a Japanese prisoner...which is described in great detail and with almost a sexual glee...

So that was okay in 1948....but one couldn't say fvck....
Andy

To be fair, that was seven years ago. And it's probably military training. I wonder what has changed in Russia in the last seven years as far as personnel freedoms? I don't know, but are Russian citizens allowed fire arm freedoms anything like ours in the U.S? Or at all?

Then there's all that "Russian Collusion" that's been going on for the last eight years......:eek: :D

The only tv standards we have in our home is that we have no tv.
The moment we kicked tv to the curb my I.Q. went up 35 points.
It's up to 60 now..................:s0018:

I was born to watch TV. My dad was a TV repairman. We had SIX TVs in, like, 1965. Living in a lower middle class neighborhood in a home designed, and a bunch of it built, by my dad. A home that most certainly DID NOT match with other homes in the semi rural area we lived. School mates thought we were rich! :s0114:

It's like crack, TV watching. I'm addicted. I scan 300 channels of nothing but crap reality shows, sports and news channels, cursing the whole time. :(

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top