JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Part of a continuing series by military historians and people that were there. This one written by a Marine recounting a patrol he was on in '66 around Khe Sanh. Nice pic of him holding a muddy M14.
What I didn't know: it could get "bone chillingly cold" in the jungle (45 degrees!) and they would wear long johns to stay warm! Also: tigers!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/12/opinion/a-patrol-called-king-kong.html

Have you ever read this book IMAG0966.jpg

My mom went high school with five of the guys in Charlie company and is still friends with them today except two of the guys she was friend's with were killed

She said that they lots of the guy's where friends in high school and when a few of them got there Draft notice so they all went and joined together

They had many days of face to face fire fights with the Viet Cong June 19 1967 was the worst day 11 guys KIA on that day they were from all over a few from here in WASHINGTON but alot where from southern California

One of the reasons those guys were put up there was to try to draw out the NVA so we could bring our firepower to bear.
Another was to show Uncle Ho that there would be no Dien Bien Phu at Khe Sanh.
We prevailed, they withdrew and Khe Sanh was eventually abandoned.

WWII commanders against savvy guerrilla fighters.

One of the reasons those guys were put up there was to try to draw out the NVA so we could bring our firepower to bear.
Another was to show Uncle Ho that there would be no Dien Bien Phu at Khe Sanh.
We prevailed, they withdrew and Khe Sanh was eventually abandoned.

WWII commanders against savvy guerrilla fighters.
Yes there is a chapter or part of a chapter that talk about some of the commander 's and leader's that caused a lot of the guy's to die with the mistakes they made some of them they gave them a fake name they didn't want there real name in the book or something like that

I just started reading it so I'm kinda flipping through it right now reading different stuff I will take it with me to work so I can read it in my down time

Part of a continuing series by military historians and people that were there. This one written by a Marine recounting a patrol he was on in '66 around Khe Sanh. Nice pic of him holding a muddy M14.
What I didn't know: it could get "bone chillingly cold" in the jungle (45 degrees!) and they would wear long johns to stay warm! Also: tigers!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/12/opinion/a-patrol-called-king-kong.html

My dad who was in the South Pacific in WW2 for over 2 1\2 years said when he first came back stateside he would put on a heavy coat anytime the temperature dropped below 70.

I just read this book and it is a very powerful account. My friend was on the MRF (Mobile Riverine Force) for 22 months including this time frame. I gave Phil a book about the MRF about a year ago and now I wish I could re-read it to see how the accounts mesh.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads