JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I haven't been fishing for several years unfortunately. I used to fish for trout and bass quite often growing up in Colorado. It's something I have been wanting to pick up again but with a young family it's proving hard to find the time. Just gotta do it though as I want my boys to have the same experience and respect for the outdoors as I did.

I just type in what I'm looking for, say if I want tips on certain techniques like spinner fishing for steelhead or prawn fishing for Springers or... you get the picture.
I do find excellent links to fishing & hunting videos from the most unlikely forums I frequent.
Look and you will find greatness grasshopper......;)

Are you talking to the fish and game guy saying that:);):):):):):)
I just go catching, so I post nothing about my excursions. I also watch out for who is fishing around me, if I was catching and its a sandy beach, they get buried in the sand by the shoreline.

Nope not doing any good today, what about you![/QUOTE]

I think he is talking about other fishermen, because when people are not catching will immediatly home in on the place where others are catching..... I have had this happen many many times when I am fishing alone away from the crowd & hook up then I am overrun by people who see there is fish in my area...:mad:

I think he is talking about other fishermen, because when people are not catching will immediatly home in on the place where others are catching..... I have had this happen many many times when I am fishing alone away from the crowd & hook up then I am overrun by people who see there is fish in my area...:mad:

Yeah I like to back troll for Springers and usually off by ourselves, and when I hook up everyone moves in, so I move off to another spot and then hook up again and here they come. Its all the time like that.
Kind of funny actually. Especially when I do the shoulders and am in shallow run mode, and then a deep draft runner comes and hogs in and hits the rocks or logs or submerged pilings LOL.
Serves em right. Sell a lot of props that way too :D
I get 90% of my fish within 50 to 75 ft of the shoreline in the Willy and the Columbia.

I use to work in the building directly south of the Old Spaghetti Factory along side of the Willamette River in SW Portland.

The embankment was landfill made from the old Oregon Journal newspaper building and on nice spring days I would eat lunch sitting on the old red granite blocks while watching the boats trolling for Springers.
Right below me was a narrow inlet channel that had clear spring creek water flowing from a hidden uphill ravine.

Most days there was an old guy in a 12' aluminum boat that purposely trolled back and forth right next to the concrete embankment wall and with great pleasure I witnessed him catch a lot of beautiful Springers.

He never stood up when he hooked one, and would play the fish till it literally was floating on it's side with exhaustion.
He then slipped a short handled gaff under the gills and slid the fish up into the boat right next to his motor.
He never landed fish when another boat was around.

If one fish was caught up by the Sellwood Bridge, it seemed like every boat from down river would haul butt at top speed to get in on the action, and similarly, they would race downriver when one was caught down by the Interstate Bridge.

I use to work in the building directly south of the Old Spaghetti Factory along side of the Willamette River in SW Portland.

The embankment was landfill made from the old Oregon Journal newspaper building and on nice spring days I would eat lunch sitting on the old red granite blocks while watching the boats trolling for Springers.
Right below me was a narrow inlet channel that had clear spring creek water flowing from a hidden uphill ravine.

Most days there was an old guy in a 12' aluminum boat that purposely trolled back and forth right next to the concrete embankment wall and with great pleasure I witnessed him catch a lot of beautiful Springers.

He never stood up when he hooked one, and would play the fish till it literally was floating on it's side with exhaustion.
He then slipped a short handled gaff under the gills and slid the fish up into the boat right next to his motor.
He never landed fish when another boat was around.

If one fish was caught up by the Sellwood Bridge, it seemed like every boat from down river would haul butt at top speed to get in on the action, and similarly, they would race downriver when one was caught down by the Interstate Bridge.

Another reason for landing "quietly" is to not attract any sea lion that may be watching. They know all the dinner bell signals like standing up, making noise and waving a net around. And it takes them about 3 seconds to cross the whole Willamette river to help themselves to your fish. I am a meat fisherman, and have even switched to 60# tuff line and 30# leader to horse my fish in anymore. Kind of sad to have to do that and not take time to enjoy playing the fish anymore, but we value them as a major source of our food anymore now, Sure as hell can't afford the $20 a lb that Chinook brings in the stores now and can't stomach that farm raised garbage. Our spring run is the best salmon in the world.

My neighbor is tying up leaders as we type.
I am helping him remodel his garage and he has promised me a whole bunch of boat time in exchange.

My neighbor is tying up leaders as we type.
I am helping him remodel his garage and he has promised me a whole bunch of boat time in exchange.

Cool :)
I had to sell my boat this year.....................:(
Off for some minor med stuff like a new heart and had to pay the taxes, ya know.
Have to try and get a small one before the springers get here this year.

Get all that boat time you can, and especially if he catches fish :)
On the Willy stick with those wired prawn spinner rigs :) Make your own.
I stopped using herring a couple years ago except in the Columbia.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top