JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I noticed this video about a Wenatchee attack on a 7 eleven clerk. Everyone takes away different lessons from these real-world events so they are interesting to watch for that reason IMO. The video's author has his own takeaways from the incident. What are the takeaway lessons you see in this incident? Here are a few of mine FWIW:

1. In this case the good guy was a big dude and it looks like he was trained in how to detain someone. If it were me I would not want to lose my position of advantage. That is, armed with a gun and not within striking distance of the bad guy. For a lot of people moving from that position of strength to basically hand-to-hand combat distance (the good guy still had the gun of course) weakens their position IMO.

2. The video's author says the good guy should have reholstered his gun. I disagree with that because there was no way to know if the bad guy had a gun, pepper spray, stun gun, knife, or other weapon. Again why weaken your position of advantage? You never know what kind of crazy thing the bad guy could do. Having the gun in your hand and ready is better than in the holster IMO.

3. The author has a really good point IMO about knowing what your goal or objective is. Is it to protect yourself and your family? Is it to protect the victim? Is it to detain the victim? For me in this case protecting both his family/himself and the victim are all accomplished by the same action of stopping the attack and being ready if the bad guy escalates things such as by pulling a gun. IMO the objective would not be to physically detain the bad guy, that is up to the LEOs. (plus that bad guy is probably pretty stinky :p). I understand in this case the good guy was competent enough to take him down and physically detain him which is fine, but for most people that is a much more risky step (physically detaining the bad guy I mean). Stopping the attack and having the bad guy in my sites (thereby protecting family and victim) would be my goal in this case and only secondarily if possible keep him on the ground or close by until the cops can arrive so they can detain him..

Last Edited:
Getting into hand to hand while holding a gun, dangerous, very dangerous. I applaud his decision to act in defense of another though. There was a point of time early on when the guy was on the ground but not very restrained when the gun was dangling right next to him while the guy was looking away. He was lucky the suspect was fairly passive.

It is definitely worth watching the video just to see the knee slam when he does try to move. That was awesome. Good to see the officer get the big picture and not be freaked out seeing a gun.

Pulling a gun on a threat who has not shown a threat of serious bodily harm of death is a good way to get sued or charged. Especially in a liberal pro-Antifa jurisdiction.

Pulling a gun on a threat who has not shown a threat of serious bodily harm of death is a good way to get sued or charged. Especially in a liberal pro-Antifa jurisdiction.

He saw dude beating on woman, so he knows he's a threat. Then, he approached the door of his vehicle. If dude tries to open the door, he gets shot in the face. All good in the hood.

It sucks to not have a holster and there was no one there to help, but I'd prefer the dude hold the guy at gunpoint and risk him running away than try to go hands on with a gun in his hand and no restraints. Its kind of one of those, "ok, now what?" situations. If there was someone to help, maybe they pin the guy while you cover with the gun. Its an example of S always HTF at the worst time, in the worst place, vs the worse enemy.

But, dude acted and for that, I applaud him.

He witnessed the bad guy bash the clerk in the head with a beer a bottle, no doubt heard plenty of verbal attacks, he pulled his gun when a-hole approached his vehicle passenger window with his child in the passenger seat. You're the lawyer, I'm not, you tell me, but I know would have done the same thing.

He saw dude beating on woman, so he knows he's a threat. Then, he approached the door of his vehicle. If dude tries to open the door, he gets shot in the face. All good in the hood.

It sucks to not have a holster and there was no one there to help, but I'd prefer the dude hold the guy at gunpoint and risk him running away than try to go hands on with a gun in his hand and no restraints. Its kind of one of those, "ok, now what?" situations. If there was someone to help, maybe they pin the guy while you cover with the gun. Its an example of S always HTF at the worst time, in the worst place, vs the worse enemy.

But, dude acted and for that, I applaud him.

Are the voices in my head bothering you? It seems like were hearing the same ones. :s0131:

ETA:
Disclaimer, for all the snowflakes, no I really don't hear voices my head nor does my neighbor's dog speak to me. So trigger your BS elsewhere. :s0109:

I didn't see the part when he hit the woman on the head with a glass bottle, but yes if he did that when I saw him I would draw not only because a glass bottle to the head could cause serious bodily harm but because it then turns into a knife.

But just because he was punching the woman does not give rise to serious bodily harm or death, at least in my view. If she was elderly, frail, or a child that would change. To say it politely that clerk looked much bigger than the assailant.

We all have to make our own spot decisions based on what we see.

I didn't see the part when he hit the woman on the head with a glass bottle, but yes if he did that when I saw him I would draw not only because a glass bottle to the head could cause serious bodily harm but because it then turns into a knife.

But just because he was punching the woman does not give rise to serious bodily harm or death, at least in my view. If she was elderly, frail, or a child that would change. To say it politely that clerk looked much bigger than the assailant.

We all have to make our own spot decisions based on what we see.

Its the part where he came to the passenger door of the vehicle. Attempting to enter the vehicle is no different than unlawfully entering a home.

The bottle to the head is part of the totality of circumstances. You can articulate his intent from watching his actions instead of saying "well, he looked real mean".

Last Edited:
I will do what I can for the clerk but safety of my kids is priority #1. There are way too many bad things that can go wrong with them sitting there at ground zero. At a minimum I'm moving my truck to the other side of the lot and making sure the kids are down on the floor.

Its the part where he came to the passenger door of the vehicle. Attempting to enter the vehicle is no different than unlawfully entering a home.

The bottle to the head is part of the totality of circumstances. You can articulate his intent from watching his actions instead of saying "well, he looked real mean".
Yep when my kids were small if that was me? I would have hit the gas and moved. If that scum was under the wheels? Too bad for him. Good for the good guy that he did not just leave the poor woman but I hope he is more prepared after this. I am sure it's one of those things he never thought would happen to him. I hope the damn clerk learned something too. She got REAL damn lucky it did not go FAR worse for her.

Yep when my kids were small if that was me? I would have hit the gas and moved. If that scum was under the wheels? Too bad for him. Good for the good guy that he did not just leave the poor woman but I hope he is more prepared after this. I am sure it's one of those things he never thought would happen to him. I hope the damn clerk learned something too. She got REAL damn lucky it did not go FAR worse for her.

Looked like he was hitting her with a coors light aluminum bottle. They seem softer than regular cans, maybe that helped her situation.

Looked like he was hitting her with a coors light aluminum bottle. They seem softer than regular cans, maybe that helped her situation.
Yep, human head is amazingly tough sometimes too. Decades back when I was tending bar with the old 3 sink deal guy broke a long neck over my head while I was bent over washing glasses. I ran around the bar and grabbed him till Cops got there. After it was over one old Marine Customer said "damn, that was amazing. He broke that bottle over your head and you didn't even flinch, you just went after him!". I said the Swede in my blood line, we are known to have hard heads :s0140:
What got me is when the guy walks away and she does not book it out of there. She lets him come back and pound her some more. She needs to just let the next one take the damn beer and leave, not stand there screwing with her damn phone!

Protecting endangered lives, good. Once that had been done, apprehending the perp, that escalates the situation. That puts the perp on the defensive and risks greater violence. My opinion, once the lives are protected, back away. Let the law deal with the guy after that. If he gets away, so be it. If you back away and the perp doesn't do same, that's a new scenario to deal with. We cannot know what might have happened; it looked like the bad guy started to back off when he saw the gun. But here's the thing. Earlier in the video, we saw the bad guy start to back off and leave the store; then he changed his mind and came around to assault the clerk. So he might've done the same thing in the parking lot if he hadn't been taken down. This part is all speculation and the good guy with the gun didn't know what happened inside the store.

I don't know of a circumstance where I would've handed my pistol to a stranger who happened to come onto the scene. I know this was all happening very fast, the good guy didn't have much time to think about things. Imagine what's going through the mind of the guy who had the pistol handed to him. He's thinking, "Oh how did I get myself into this??"

The video guy makes the point of, "Is a six pack worth the risk?" He goes on to talk about how many businesses now have a policy of letting shoplifters go, don't apprehend, don't try to recover goods. This is pretty universal in today's retail world. The unknown and possibly lethal results of attempting apprehension are risks that greatly go beyond what might be gained. Many of us have the principle in mind that crooks shouldn't be allowed to "get away" with crime, but the reality is that the innocent shouldn't be inflicted with suffering -- mortal, financial, legal or by whatever means. This is the prevailing current societal value.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads