JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Open carry is NOT about DETERRENCE.
You are making a statement that you have a gun.
You are showing the bad guy that you have a gun for HIM.

Trust me,if you have 3 buddies and one guy with a gun,the gun can be theirs fairly easy.

OK,I was leaving a Borders book store next to the Tacoma Mall. I can't read without glassses ,but my peripheral vision is great some times.
I looked to the left to see a guy pacing me at about 50yards.I started staring at him,watching every move.He decided to go across the street instead of bother with me.

Your awareness is the best deterrent you can have.
One study had some violent criminals judge people walking down the street or in mall parking lots.
The criminals almost all,picked the same people for 3 categories. Definitely,maybe and no way,buy how the people carried themselves.Not of they had guns or not.

You don't have to show off your gun to keep bad guys from bothering you.

Now if I wanted you gun and you were open carrying,then I punch you in the side of the head,from behind.
Do you think you can keep the gun?
Are you walking with others and one guy is walking backward?

It ain't that hard to take a guy's gun.
It doesn't happen to cops that much,because their partner has a gun and a radio for back up.

An open carried gun is not a deterrent.
Don't be a fool.

YOU ARE NOT THAT BAD ***

Conceal carry and proper attention to what is going on around you,is a way better deterrent than showing off your gun.

What is it about then sir?

Apparently you didn't read my post?
Maybe I didn't state it like I have in the past,
it's about your 15 minutes of fame.
About showing everyone that yo have a gun.
About being a "wanna bee" cop
About being a COWBOY....nothing more.

Like the guys who practice quick draw and all that BS.
First,I keep out of the bad areas (change jobs,or take a partner with you),second,if I have to go to a shady type area,I have the gun in hand,in my pocket.
I'm not testing my skills and risking my life against anyone.

Why play quick draw when you can have the gun pointing at the perp's nuts all the time?

Y'all want to be a cowboy and test it out,go ahead.I'll CC so the bad guy doesn't pick me out first,as the one to take down.

Open carry is NOT about DETERRENCE.
You are making a statement that you have a gun.
You are showing the bad guy that you have a gun for HIM.

Trust me,if you have 3 buddies and one guy with a gun,the gun can be theirs fairly easy.

OK,I was leaving a Borders book store next to the Tacoma Mall. I can't read without glassses ,but my peripheral vision is great some times.
I looked to the left to see a guy pacing me at about 50yards.I started staring at him,watching every move.He decided to go across the street instead of bother with me.

Your awareness is the best deterrent you can have.
One study had some violent criminals judge people walking down the street or in mall parking lots.
The criminals almost all,picked the same people for 3 categories. Definitely,maybe and no way,buy how the people carried themselves.Not of they had guns or not.

You don't have to show off your gun to keep bad guys from bothering you.

Now if I wanted you gun and you were open carrying,then I punch you in the side of the head,from behind.
Do you think you can keep the gun?
Are you walking with others and one guy is walking backward?

It ain't that hard to take a guy's gun.
It doesn't happen to cops that much,because their partner has a gun and a radio for back up.

An open carried gun is not a deterrent.
Don't be a fool.

YOU ARE NOT THAT BAD ***

Conceal carry and proper attention to what is going on around you,is a way better deterrent than showing off your gun.

+1

Like I said, anything is possible. But with the thousands and thousands that open carry everywhere they go doing day-to-day activities...hasn't happened yet. I'm not saying it won't...I'm just saying that when a guy has the choice between trying to attack a guy with a gun versus another guy without one (or looks like he doesn't have one), he's probably going to choose the guy without one. It's WAY too easy to buy a gun off the street then it is to go trying to whack some open carrier in the side of the head. Way too easy and a whole lot safer for them. Again, not saying it'll never happen, I'm just saying it's highly unlikely. On top of this, there are the studies interviewing felons and their biggest fear is coming across a citizen with a gun...even more so than coming across a cop. I'm not saying OC is better than CC...I'm just saying don't just automatically drink the Kool-Aid and keep an open mind.

Again, I'm not saying that I'm anti-CC...I do that as well when I'm around people that I know will get their panties in a knot over an inanimate object. But everywhere else I OC...and it's not because I think I'm a bada$$...but that is what the Brady Bunch would love for us to do...attack each other from the inside out. Get us to argue over whether our gun is covered my a millimeter of clothing or not. I feel like as much of a bada$$ when I CC as when I OC...that is, I'm about the smallest bada$$ you can think of. Carrying a gun makes you humble...it makes every encounter require being humble. But it sounds to me like you think you know open carriers better than they know themselves...wish I could read people's minds like that.

*sigh*... I suppose if there's gonna be a big OC vs CC war anyway I will put in my :s0159:

Open carry is deterrence. I cannot fathom how 3 guys could get a gun away from you unless you have horrible situational awareness. Perhaps if there are a whole lot of people around? That doesn't seem like the ideal place to mug someone though... I really don't understand people who don't realize the advantage of open carry. Most criminals would much rather go bother someone who appears unarmed than a visibly armed guy. Is it worth risking your life to mug someone, even if you get a gun as a result? They can always just buy one on the black market if they want one. Even the biggest crackheads show a little common sense... Open carry is about avoiding the encounter altogether. I'd say if you want proof look at how many defense with firearm cases there are involving concealed carriers vs. open carriers but since there is no data I am aware of on the ratio of concealed vs. open carriers it wouldn't mean anything.

I also don't understand why anyone wouldn't practice their draw. I practice drawing and dry firing every day. I consider it just part of my daily workout. Mjbskwim, you really should practice no matter how you carry. Especially for concealed carry in fact, since you have extra steps you have to take getting clothing out of the way. I mean heck... that just seems like common sense to ME.

The only reason I don't open carry more is convenience and I prefer to keep a low profile. I do not like the extra attention open carry brings. Every now and then I open carry just 'cause, but 99% of the time I stay concealed.

The "deterrence" isn't the open carry.The deterrence is your awareness.The way you are making eye contact with everyone around you.The way you have your keys ready before you get to the vehicle.The confidence you exude while you have a gun on your person.
Nothing to do with open carry,sorry.
You really think that a criminal cares if you have a gun?
A gun in your hand yes,not in a holster,either seen or not seen.
They do care that they don't have an advantage over your awareness.
That's the part they are dealing in.

Now as for the drawing and dry firing part.
Again,I'm not getting into a quick draw scenario.Someone is always faster.
If I do have to go some place that I know isn't very safe,I wear something specifically to carry a pistol in a pocket.
My hand is on the gun,at the ready.I don't really care about having to shoot through a coat if my life is on the line.
I've done this many times in downtown Tacoma when I needed to go to a cash machine.

But again,when you are carrying,PROPERLY,you are AWARE of everything that goes on around you and that is the DETERRENT against getting attacked.

The study I talked about didn't mention guns at all.It was just people walking around the cities and malls.

All the criminals picked the same people because of ,or lack there of, AWARENESS

Who do you think the first person to get shot would be if a surprise robbery went down at the local 7 11?
The guy who they KNOW has a gun.

Maybe that's just me.but if I'm inclined to do bad things to people,the guy that I KNOW has a gun, is the one I am targeting.

Just something to think about out there showing off your new Sig

Who do you think the first person to get shot would be if a surprise robbery went down at the local 7 11?
The guy who they KNOW has a gun.

Or maybe they decide not to rob the 711 right at that time. Why rob it while someone with a gun is inside when they could just wait ten minutes for the potentially life-threatening variable to finish his purchase and leave. Maybe they'll go to an entirely different 711, or maybe they'll wait until tomorrow.

Or maybe they decide not to rob the 711 right at that time. Why rob it while someone with a gun is inside when they could just wait ten minutes for the potentially life-threatening variable to finish his purchase and leave. Maybe they'll go to an entirely different 711, or maybe they'll wait until tomorrow.

That guy is going to wait until you're gone before he robs the place anyway.

So you are trying to say that someone walking down the street with a gun on their hip will not deter criminals? I think you would be a pretty dumb criminal to attack someone that you can clearly see is openly armed. Did the criminals that identified people ever see video of someone OCing? if so what was their response? I would guess they would stay away from someone armed, which by my definition would be deterrence....:s0159:

So you are trying to say that someone walking down the street with a gun on their hip will not deter criminals?

A gun's not a magical criminal be gone wand.
In my OPINION, you are making yourself a target, there's something worth stealing, right on yer hip.
From what i've seen of videos from most oc people, some time in the gym and a different diet would be a better deterrent.
Bothering the cops like this guy did, there's nothing about that.
Ocing in starbucks, out in the suburbs? (okay, i don't actually know that, but, come on........)
Let me guess, this guys idea of police misconduct is writing a questionable traffic ticket.
Come on, nothing but a sunday afternoon activity.

You want to get this more accepted and mainstream?

Why don't you just move to somewhere where it is?

Don't get me wrong, if you want to OC, do it. Not that anyone needs my blessing. We're all adults here.
Just don't mix up drawing attention to yourself with fighting for other peoples rights

I moved to Oregon 8 years ago. I got into guns and the forums shortly after that. I got my CHL. Back then the instructor in the required CHL class even told us we could have our CHL revoked if the gun was exposed. I never even heard of open carry until a few years ago. I have never seen anyone open carry. If I was not on the gun forums, I would have no idea that it was legal. So yes, it would have freaked me out if I saw someone walking down the street with a gun on their belt. So if this is fairly new to a gun person, the general public has no idea that it is legal and you can not blame them for freaking out and calling 911. I know that even today with knowledge that it is legal to OC, I would keep an eye on the guy openly carrying a gun. Why should I let down my guard? Nope, he will be on my radar. Call it self preservation.

The problem with the guy in the video is that he is a 'radical' activist and went looking for confrontation and took preparations to document it. He was not just some Joe making a trip to the market while openly carrying a gun. He is no different from any other radical activist in other causes that goes overboard and does more harm to their cause than good in the eyes of the general public and LEO. Just like the bicyclists that blocked all the roads and bridges during rush hour to draw attention to their cause. They pissed off a lot of working folks trying to get home after a long day at work and cost a lot of tax payer $ for the LEO to try and clear the roads. It is fine to promote your cause, but a little common sense will go a long way and get better results.

I choose to carry concealed. YMMV.

PS. If the bicyclists blocked roads in Hawaii, the LEO would not have to show up. The locals would have gotten out of their cars and would have thrown the protesters and their bicycles off the bridge to clear the road so they could get home and have a cold one. :s0155:

Open carry is strange, put old ladies, and non gun friendly people at ease and do yourself a favor and get a CPL. That's my opinion, smartypants like this guy want a reason to complain.

Open carry is strange, put old ladies, and non gun friendly people at ease and do yourself a favor and get a CPL. That's my opinion, smartypants like this guy want a reason to complain.

Hasn't been an issue for me in the 'Ham for the 8 months I've been OCing...only person to criticize me was a guy from Connecticut, go figure. Like someone else said though, YMMV. And just a heads up, we've got a bunch of "gun nuts" meeting up at the Billy McCale's in Bellingham at noon on Sunday the 23rd to have a bite to eat and then we're probably heading to the range just past Deming after lunch. Most of us will be OCing, but feel free to join us! More info here: Tacoma to Bellingham or BUST - January 23, 2011

Hasn't been an issue for me in the 'Ham for the 8 months I've been OCing...only person to criticize me was a guy from Connecticut, go figure. Like someone else said though, YMMV. And just a heads up, we've got a bunch of "gun nuts" meeting up at the Billy McCale's in Bellingham at noon on Sunday the 23rd to have a bite to eat and then we're probably heading to the range just past Deming after lunch. Most of us will be OCing, but feel free to join us! More info here: Tacoma to Bellingham or BUST - January 23, 2011

Awesome. I'll see, I might be going up to Baker this weekend. I'm always out shooting at the gravel pit logging road on mosquito lake rd, beats the 8 bucks to goto plantiers ;). I would open carry if it was tougher to get a CPL, but here all we do is get fingerprinted, and pay 60 bucks, so I feel it's the way to go for me.

Awesome. I'll see, I might be going up to Baker this weekend. I'm always out shooting at the gravel pit logging road on mosquito lake rd, beats the 8 bucks to goto plantiers ;). I would open carry if it was tougher to get a CPL, but here all we do is get fingerprinted, and pay 60 bucks, so I feel it's the way to go for me.

Might go up Saturday with the pup to ski over by the Herman-Table saddle. Last Saturday was textbook Cascade concrete so I hope this weekend is better. Anyways, yah the gravel pit is where we're planning on going to...nice place for practice except DNR is saying they'll shut it down this summer if people keep up the "shoot the old computer monitor and leave it" routine. As far as open carry goes, I don't blame you. One of my reasons though is that I just like when I can get fence-sitters or anti's over to the "light side" when they talk to me and see me open carrying...whereas "keeping it in the closet" per say just, well, keeps the issue in the closet and the bigots never change their mind. But I'm all for either way...most important thing is to take the responsibility to carry.

Btw...your screenname...driving a Dodge or have you got a swap? One of these days when I have an area to do it, I want to put a 12v into a 66-77 Bronco for my daily driver...bunch of other cool swaps over at 4btswaps.com too. So many possibilities!

I am not familiar with the local law. Is it that a person may open carry as long as the gun is unloaded? Is an officer authorized to legal inspect a firearm to make sure it is compliant? If so I do not see what the fuss was about. Just let the officer do the check he is authorized to perform.

I was under the impression that OC'ers mission was to "normalize" firearms to the public. Not simply to get CCW permits loosened. I don't or haven't yet.

I do have a lot of respect for the guys that will do this though. These are the guys that have drawn the line and are standing up for 2nd amendment rights. There is NO reason to wish them any ill will at all or to suggest they do it differently imo.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top