JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Found a video of a guy shooting a Mosin Nagant and getting hits at 800 yards using just the iron sights. You can also see the trail of the bullet as it flies.

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

These things are great. A couple years ago we were shooting about 700 yards and hitting the gongs with open sights. Don't have a bipod on any of mine.

These things are great. A couple years ago we were shooting about 700 yards and hitting the gongs with open sights. Don't have a bipod on any of mine.

700 is still impressive. I have thought about buying one since they are so cheap and that kind of range is making me think I will. For a guy with no rifle experience aside from shooting friends and my lever action .357 it looks like a lot of fun for some distance shooting. I use the irons on the .357 but no way a bullet will make it that far from my rifle....at least with me shooting it. 100 yards I can hit clays and such but I have not tried much more and want a gun that can.

That looks like eastern Oregon. I have been considering buying land out there since we go out to fish often and it would be nice just to have a simple Yurt with a nice patio rather than packing all our gear to a campground....Also the idea of being able to shoot on my property is great.

Man, I've been wanting to get a moist nugget for a while, this video only makes me want one more.

Unfortunately, the latest steel core ban making nugget food more expensive is a pretty big turn off. Still a nice video.

Man, I've been wanting to get a moist nugget for a while, this video only makes me want one more.

Unfortunately, the latest steel core ban making nugget food more expensive is a pretty big turn off. Still a nice video.
Well I don't mean to dry out your nugget but good handloads are the way to go for accuracy, especially compared to steel core military ball.

These rifles are more accurate than people give them credit for.
& With some new commercial ammo, alright groups can be achieved.

Love all of mine.
Still need to pick up an M44. :)

I've made educated guesses and lucky shots before (water heater half a mile below me in Otay Valley before it was populated), but this guy has serious skills. Nice job!

What fascinates me, though, is seeing the atmospheric disturbance after each shot and realizing just what a distinctly "lobbed" arc a bullet travels, especially at long range.

Last Edited:
The one that I did purchase new was heavily coated.

Well I suppose it is not a bad thing since it does preserve the gun it is just a B to clean off. My cousin just got one so we could have little contests with my brother, cousin, and I and his was covered inside and out with that junk. I helped him clean it as I wanted to shoot it bad enough. Normally I would just laugh as he cleaned away.

The few Moisons I've seen, including my own, look like Porkypines have been gnawing at the stocks but the bores have been quite good. If you have access to an automotive parts washing tank they will take the cosmoline right off! For the stocks lay them out in the sun on a hot day. Wipe off the oil that is sweat out and turn them over every 1/2 hour.
Nice shooting on the video BTW!

I've made educated guesses and lucky shots before (water heater half a mile below me in Otay Valley before it was populated), but this guy has serious skills. Nice job!

What fascinates me, though, is seeing the atmospheric disturbance after each shot and realizing just what a distinctly "lobbed" arc a bullet travels, especially at long range.

Not to mention the spiraling of the bullet!

WD40 works pretty good for the cosmo;ine.

WW1 rifles were optimized for shooting long ranges. Most have sights set up to start at 300 yds and adjust up to either 800 or 1000 yds or meters.
That war was about sitting in a trench waiting for guys in opposing trenches to expose their heads or climb out for some dumb reason, and popping them when they do.
Optics for the most part were crappy and unreliable so iron sights were the choice.

When you get a Mosin, M96 Swede, or K31 swiss (the finest with the swede a strong runner-up) you need to use a taller front sight to be able to zero at 100 yards. The rifles just weren't set up for puny ranges like that.

Remeber, as late as 1943 US snipers were equipped with a 3/4" 2 1/2x scope, and off the shelf Weaver 330, that wasn't coated or weathersealed and broke it's reticles routinely. Even then the most reliable long range shots were done by calling up a known good shooter, a guy that grew up shooting his dinner in the Tennessee backwoods with whatever old piece of crap rifle his family had held onto).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top