JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My son and his fiance live in Olympia. Long story short, my son grew up target shooting and hunting with me, but his fiance is a far left liberal rigid anti-gunner. It has caused some tense conversation between myself and both my son and his fiance.

I have been storing my son's shotguns and his .22 rifle in my safe since they have been living together. I have kept asking him when he wanted to come get his guns, I even bought him a small safe to keep them in. He's made a lot of excuses about not having enough space and such, but I finally got the truth out of him that his fiance didn't even want them in the house.

She says her anti gun feelings are the result of a former boyfriend pointing a gun at her in High School. I'll buy that that's part of it, but not all of it. She was raised in an anti gun family and all her relatives are that way.

Well, my son and his fiance were down a couple of weekends ago. While my wife and my son's fiance were out shopping, my son and I were out running errands and I asked him point blank, "Is **** ever going to let you have your guns?". I wasn't sure what kind of answer I would get. My son is a great kid, but doesn't like to be confrontational with anyone, to the point of sometimes not putting his foot down when he should. To my surprise, he said he had a long talk with his fiance and told her that his guns were part of his life and he wanted to be able to keep them in his house and she agreed. :s0155:

I have offered to take her to the range a couple of times and she has adamantly said no, but my son said to give it time and he would ask her if she wanted to go with us the next time my son is down and we go to the range.

BTW, I don't want to make it sound like I don't like my son's fiance. She's actually a very sweet girl, we are just polar opposites when it comes to politics and 2A.

Good news Cougfan. I had a similar experience when I was still dating my wife, as she was anti-gun. Telling her that I've had 20 years of firearms ownership and the guns did not commit any crimes on their own (I'm also crime free), opened up her eyes and now she's pro-2A and goes shooting with me, and even has her own collection. Give your son's future wife some time and she'll learn that most firearm owners are law abiding and good people and not to let the few mothballs out there give us all a bad reputation.

It's great to hear stories like this.

If ur wife is a shooter,it will go better if she invites her along and SHE takes the fiance' aside for 1 on 1 'bonding'. just a thought.
Glad that it's all working out .

The only time my wife's been shooting was on our first date (I wanted to figure out right from the start if the relationship was going to work), but I know she would accompany me to the range even if she didn't shoot. She used to go watch me shoot trap and skeet quite often. Good suggestion.

For me, a demand that the house be a gun free zone is a deal breaker. No negotiation on this one. At all. My guess is that she may relent just long enough to get married. At some point in the near future after the wedding it will become a big deal and your kid is going to come out on the losing end.

For me, a demand that the house be a gun free zone is a deal breaker. No negotiation on this one. At all. My guess is that she may relent just long enough to get married. At some point in the near future after the wedding it will become a big deal and your kid is going to come out on the losing end.

Nope. He likes to be a peace maker, but he also believes a deal is a deal. He is very slow to anger, but you don't want to be the person to really pizz him off. If she tried to pull something like that he wouldn't put up with it.

jcw, it's possible that you're right, but that's why it's important to educate the future wife beforehand rather than surprise her after the wedding. Education is the key to reversing the indoctrination that a lot of people were given in their younger days. I'm sure Cougfan and his son will be able to determine whether she's really had a change of heart or not. Something that can create the issue you're talking about is having kids - make sure that there's a safe in the house, gun vault, trigger lock, whatever it takes to verify the safety and well-being of the child.

A big issue afterwards that can create the issue you're talking about is having kids - make sure that there's a safe in the house, gun vault, trigger lock, whatever it takes to verify the safety and well-being of the child.

I bought him a small safe from another forum member here and have trigger locks that I will give him (some of the one's that I never use :s0114:).

Nope. He likes to be a peace maker, but he also believes a deal is a deal. He is very slow to anger, but you don't want to be the person to really pizz him off. If she tried to pull something like that he wouldn't put up with it.

Good to hear that he wouldn't put up with it. My perspective is from personal experience. I'm with your kid on a deal being a deal. That only works if both parties believe this. Digging from my bag of life's little experiences I finally figured out that there are a lot of women out there who make a deal to get what they want then break it later. I really hope the LIGF isn't one of those. I did end up with a good one who doesn't shoot but thinks nothing of my guns that somehow multiply on their own in the safe. I've kept this one for just over 30 years. Good luck to your son.

Good to hear that he wouldn't put up with it. My perspective is from personal experience. I'm with your kid on a deal being a deal. That only works if both parties believe this. Digging from my bag of life's little experiences I finally figured out that there are a lot of women out there who make a deal to get what they want then break it later. I really hope the LIGF isn't one of those. I did end up with a good one who doesn't shoot but thinks nothing of my guns that somehow multiply on their own in the safe. I've kept this one for just over 30 years. Good luck to your son.

Sounds like we both have good one's. Been married to my wife for 33 years. She even picked the grips for my new Ed Brown.

Its important to remember that a lot of "anti-gun" people are that way simply because no one ever took them shooting or gave them any sort of positive information about guns when they were growing up. People like that will not always respond well to heated rhetoric or furious, power-driven arguments, but over time their views can be changed by someone who is respectful of their opinions even if he doesnt share them.

My wife was like that 16 years ago, then she grew up. She doesnt have a issue with it anymore. In fact I would say she has gotten a little more conservative in her older years, but she would never admit to that.

In my opinion liberal women are the worst choice for conservative men and a waste of time. Liberal men should marry liberal women so their lives are in balance and they get what they both deserve.:s0112::s0112:

Why would a man let himself be put into a position where he can't have the tools to protect his family? A good conservative women will buy guns for you.:s0155:

jj

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads