JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Its important to remember that a lot of "anti-gun" people are that way simply because no one ever took them shooting or gave them any sort of positive information about guns when they were growing up. People like that will not always respond well to heated rhetoric or furious, power-driven arguments, but over time their views can be changed by someone who is respectful of their opinions even if he doesnt share them.

Exactly right. I myself was once such an "anti-gunner." I've always thought guns were an interesting and important part of history, but was unconvinced that civilian ownership of guns was a good idea. All I knew about guns in civilian hands was what the news and people like Michael Moore beamed into millions of homes. It was just a given that guns are bad. It literally took just one friend asking me to go shooting with him one time to get me onto the right course. The range session caused me to rethink things. It allowed me to see that not all gun owners either criminals or shouting rednecks. Showed me that decent, free-thinking individuals do own guns. That in turn caused me to look at the facts, and pretty much every single anti-gun argument fell flat when juxtaposed with the facts. My friend didn't try arguing politics, talking points or any of that stuff... just invited me to shoot some guns. Since then, I've introduced nearly a dozen people to shooting. No one likes to be told that they're wrong because they will figure if your word is no better than theirs, so what makes you right and them wrong? If you show them gun ownership in a positive light, then it may actually make them think.

Exactly right. I myself was once such an "anti-gunner." I've always thought guns were an interesting and important part of history, but was unconvinced that civilian ownership of guns was a good idea. All I knew about guns in civilian hands was what the news and people like Michael Moore beamed into millions of homes. It was just a given that guns are bad. It literally took just one friend asking me to go shooting with him one time to get me onto the right course. The range session caused me to rethink things. It allowed me to see that not all gun owners either criminals or shouting rednecks. Showed me that decent, free-thinking individuals do own guns. That in turn caused me to look at the facts, and pretty much every single anti-gun argument fell flat when juxtaposed with the facts. My friend didn't try arguing politics, talking points or any of that stuff... just invited me to shoot some guns. Since then, I've introduced nearly a dozen people to shooting. No one likes to be told that they're wrong because they will figure if your word is no better than theirs, so what makes you right and them wrong? If you show them gun ownership in a positive light, then it may actually make them think.

That's what I hope to do. My first goal is to just get her to a range with my son and maybe my wife. Even if she doesn't want to handle or even shoot a gun at first, I at least want to be able to show her that we are safe and sane people that just enjoy our sport. I have no illusion of her having an epiphany the first time she goes to the range. My hope is that even if she still thinks firearms aren't her cup of tea, at least she may come to understand that they are just a tool and not evil in and of themselves.

Is there a chance that she is open to taking a basic safety course? One that teaches basic gun safety and handling, even if it is a class where she does not fire a gun. She can learn how to unload and clear the gun.

FRame it in a different way
Since You have firearms - You would appreciate it if she could at least be aware of the proper ways to safely handle a firearm / pistol in the event she needs to handle it or move it. Rather than be afraid of it. Not asking her to take up just being safe

Is there a chance that she is open to taking a basic safety course? One that teaches basic gun safety and handling, even if it is a class where she does not fire a gun. She can learn how to unload and clear the gun.

I got my wife and step daughter to go to a NRA Womans class. My wife went because her daughter was going, they had a great time and wated to go shooting again.
Problem is: my step daughter died and now my wife refuses to go shooting saying it wouldn't be the same without her daughter along. But at least she's not so dead set against guns now although I did tell he I needed a bigger gun safe. Her answer was "or fewer guns" I told her that was impossibe in light of the pending revolution I needed more!!

8 US Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

80 MILLION law abiding gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
Arms Collectors of South West Washington member

My girfriend isn't that into shooting. I said "OK, you can just work the spotting scope for me."

That didn't last long. Now she's hinting about trying "Cowboy Action". I may have to buy her 3 guns and a dance hall floozie outfit.

My girfriend isn't that into shooting. I said "OK, you can just work the spotting scope for me."

That didn't last long. Now she's hinting about trying "Cowboy Action". I may have to buy her 3 guns and a dance hall floozie outfit.

Dance Hall floozie outfit. Awesome! Please post link to makers of garter holsters. :s0114:

I did tell he I needed a bigger gun safe. Her answer was "or fewer guns" I told her that was impossibe in light of the pending revolution I needed more!!

8 US Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

80 MILLION law abiding gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
Arms Collectors of South West Washington member

Stick to your guns! Literally, lol

Dance Hall floozie outfit. Awesome! Please post link to makers of garter holsters. :s0114:

I suppose you thought you were joking...

<broken link removed>

Derringer Holster

Strap your derringer to your garter belt, or tuck it in your boot, in this beautifully made holster.

derringer%20holster.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would add that you make sure your Son knows his guns are always welcome to stay in your safe if anything happens. Anti-gun does not mean a person is Anti-selling of guns. Got a buddy that lost all his good guns to the Ex.
Mike

I would add that you make sure your Son knows his guns are always welcome to stay in your safe if anything happens. Anti-gun does not mean a person is Anti-selling of guns. Got a buddy that lost all his good guns to the Ex.
Mike

Thanks, but he knows that. He wouldn't let anything happen to them, particularly since one of them was his Grandfather's Win Model 12 shotgun. If it ever got to the point that it looked like they were headed for divorce I would ahem, cough, cough, BUY them from him. ;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top