JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For you guys that use ultrasonic cleaners, what do you use for the solution? I have one at work, but am concerned that the solution we use for cleaning carburetor parts would be too caustic/corrosive.
I use the RCBS solution. A guy on YouTube uses gasoline. 😳

Not at first! Saving money isn't the whole point of the endeavor.

I load for Swede Mauser and M1 Garand. I recently ended up loading for .30-30WCF and .45 Colt. Look at the price of those NOW? The Garand shouldn't be loaded with modern hunting ammo. Right now it has come down to $1.10 or so/round. I purchased several hundred rounds of quality .30-06 for Garand at about $.65/round and reuse the brass. Pretty much the same deal with the 6.5 x 55 for the Swede.
For the .30-30 and Colt .45 I sourced deals on brass and projectiles and am saving Biggly over store bought ammo. Of course I'm not counting all the powder, brass, bullets, primers that I have money in still sitting there as NOT ammo I can shoot! So yeah, I'm WAY in the hole! :s0140: :s0140: And I LOVE IT!!!!

YMMV
YEP! When I first started it was I could not find what I wanted in one caliber. Soon after I found for some stuff it was a HUGE difference. At times have had a .44 mag and .45 Colt. Even when ammo was "cheap" those rounds among others were never cheap. Not to mention having the stuff to roll with even if you do not use it is nice. Next panic shortage you are not left with no ammo. :D

I picked up some more on-line, "lizard bedding" ant it's considerable finer than what I had. Kinda bummed about that. I feel the bigger sharper pieces will do a better job.
I have to guess this stuff comes from the plants that shell and pack the things. I have often wondered how long the shells were tossed in a dump before someone figured out they could sell them? :D

For you guys that use ultrasonic cleaners, what do you use for the solution? I have one at work, but am concerned that the solution we use for cleaning carburetor parts would be too caustic/corrosive.
I use Simple Green - but the purple version (Pro/HD) diluted. Goes a long way.

However there really isn't much I sonicate. Plastic handguns (taken down), regular handgun barrels & AR BCG's (stripped).

No idea on how it would do brass. I wet tumble batches of brass well ahead of wants.

I started reloading 357/38 in 1978 using walnut with polish. Too dusty. I know use corn cob with Dillon
polish which is not cheap. Should look into cheaper alternatives than the Dillon polish.

I wet tumble so don't have a dog in the fight. That being said, There are lots of nut processing plants in the Willamette valley and I'd bet if one was to ask they could get all the media they could ever want right from the source.

Last Edited:
I wet tumble so don't have a dog in the fight. That being said, There are lots of nut processing plants in the Willamette valley and I'd bet if one was to ask they could get all the media they could ever want right from the source.
LOL, a picture of a bunch of walnut, or filbert half shells, with some slightly smaller fragments rolling around in the vibratory cleaner flashed in my mind! :D

I was told where that walnut I got all those years ago from Skydiver came from but don't remember. He must of had many hundreds of # of the stuff. He was selling it for some time.

Walnut more aggressive clean.
Corn cob more of a high polish.
My thoughts exactly, I sort pistol & rifle calibers then I throw them into the walnut media Thumbler to knock off all the dirt before I process it. It makes it a lot easier to sort headstamps with a clean head. After processing, pistol cases go directly into the corncob/Turtle wax Thumler to shine it up nicely. Rifle brass gets the lanolin/heet concoction cleaned off in lacquer thinner then tossed into either wet/dry tumbler depending on if I'm keeping (wet) or selling it (dry).

5CEAB702-4A81-4119-AC90-28FB5B9C2D26.jpeg

My thoughts exactly, I sort pistol & rifle calibers then I throw them into the walnut media Thumbler to knock off all the dirt before I process it. It makes it a lot easier to sort headstamps with a clean head. After processing, pistol cases go directly into the corncob/Turtle wax Thumler to shine it up nicely. Rifle brass gets the lanolin/heet concoction cleaned off in lacquer thinner then tossed into either wet/dry tumbler depending on if I'm keeping (wet) or selling it (dry).

View attachment 1306790
Is that a sonic cleaner or toaster oven on top? :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top